• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Why halftracks ?

specta3

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Okay maybe some one can explain to me what halftracks will bring to RO2?.
Seems that a few people are not happy they are not in the game yet.

So as some one who has never played with halftracks in a RO game. What do they bring to gameplay ? are they used like a mobile spawn? are they just used for A mobile heavy mg ? Do people fill these up with players and travel to the objectives ? Do they improve the overall gameplay and if so how do they improve it? Are there any negatives ?

Be interested to know what halftracks will bring in to RO2 MP experiance ?

What specta3 said. Take Arad for example, there are no moving pawn points, and it's pretty much a conquest style map with all the objectives open. There are supposed to loads of tanks traversing the fields while the infantry get to the towns. If there are no moving spawn points it's difficult for infantry to get to where they need to be without trucks or half tracks.

Also they provide MG support, (which could be useful since it's a shielded MG, and more mobile) Cover for people both in and outside the vehicle, and of course it helps teamplay with a dedicated HT driver and gunner.

It could be use as a mobile spawn? I dunno, that's a long shot from a realism standpoint.

Upvote 0
This allows for bigger maps to actually be playable.
A better phrasing might be "this allows tank maps to suck slightly less to be stuck on foot in". The limited availability and capacity of transports keeps them from being all that significant, and a map scaled to vehicle combat is still fairly pointless from an infantry perspective. Transports just mean that you get to do something relevant once in a while.

Combined arms is really pretty pointless on anything smaller than MMO player counts.

Upvote 0
A better phrasing might be "this allows tank maps to suck slightly less to be stuck on foot in". The limited availability and capacity of transports keeps them from being all that significant, and a map scaled to vehicle combat is still fairly pointless from an infantry perspective. Transports just mean that you get to do something relevant once in a while.

Combined arms is really pretty pointless on anything smaller than MMO player counts.

You haven't played a combined arms map with halftracks, have you?

Upvote 0
I dont think the Russians should get anything, they simply didnt have a halftrack.

They obvuiously rode on T34's so maybe that is a counter option.

And there where quite a few US jeeps in Stalingrad from my understanding, so maybe the Rusians get a few jeeps?
Oh you mean all the thousands of Universal Carriers they were given by the Americans and British that they didn't use?

:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
If I am not mistaken, the russians did have troop trucks. Not quite as good as the Sd.Kfz. 251 (especially from a gameplay point of view, rather than an historical usefulness one). Perhaps a Balancing point would be to give the Russians two trucks for every one German Half-track?

Just so I understand where everyone is coming from, would these vehicles be spawnable?

Upvote 0
I dont think the Russians should get anything, they simply didnt have a halftrack.

And there where quite a few US jeeps in Stalingrad from my understanding, so maybe the Rusians get a few jeeps?
They had these,not strictly a halftrack,but this is what we were expecting from TWI (or something similar)

Attachments

• Universal Carrier_KurskSalient.jpg
    Universal Carrier_KurskSalient.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Universal Carrier_Bren.jpg
    Universal Carrier_Bren.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0

During the lend lease program the Red Army got thousands of Bren Gun carriers (Universal carrier). Not to mention thousands!! of trucks in many ways after 42 on the Red Army was more mechanized than their German counter parts.This is a misconception about the German Army sure they had some mechanized units.

Way over half their infantry still walked to the front and over 80% of the artillery was still horse drawn.In fact out of all the major players in ww2 the Germans was probably the least mechanized as a whole.They just used the few mobile units they had to great effect giving the misconception the Germans was a mechanized juggernaut which was just not the case.

So ya the Russians did have APCs and they used them to great effect during their push towards Germany.Many a German units was cut off while walking by more mobile infantry using trucks and APCs. http://www.militaryfactory.com/armor/detail.asp?armor_id=278

As for the OP's question APC's will add a whole new dimension to game play. As a true RO game HoS is somewhat incomplete without the combined arms elements.Many a map in Ost came down to infantries proper use of APC and getting bodies in the cap fast.The more tanks /APC's we get the better it will effect game play IMO.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
During the lend lease program the Red Army got thousands of Bren Gun carriers (minus the Bren gun). Not to mention thousands!! of trucks in many ways after 42 on the Red Army was more mechanized than their German counter parts.This is a misconception about the Germans sure they had some mechanized units.Way over half their infantry still walked to the front and over 80% of the artillery was still horse drawn.

So ya the Russians did have APCs and they used them to great effect during their push towards Germany.Many a German units was cut off while walking by more mobile infantry using trucks and APCs. http://www.militaryfactory.com/armor/detail.asp?armor_id=278[url]http://www.militaryfactory.com/armor/detail.asp?armor_id=278[/URL]

As for the OP's question APC's will add a whole new dimension to game play. As a true RO game HoS is somewhat incomplete without the combined arms elements.Many a map in Ost came down to infantries proper use of APC and getting bodies in the cap fast.The more tanks /APC's we get the better it will effect game play IMO.

I agree, Combined Arms was the backbone of Ostfront, its one of the things that made it such a good game,and why so many people enjoyed it, but TWI seem to have forgotten, or are ignoring this fact.
Without transports HoS. will never progress to anywhere near as good a game as OST., TWI may as well stop working on it now, because without troop transports and a bit more content besides an old map redone this game is dead in the water.
The custom mappers are already throwing their projects in the bin.

Upvote 0
Without transports HoS. will never progress to anywhere near as good a game as OST., TWI may as well stop working on it now, because without troop transports and a bit more content besides an old map redone this game is dead in the water.
The custom mappers are already throwing their projects in the bin.

I had hoped we were beyond dredging up the "game is dead" comments but alas.......
Some of us arent willing to turn the lights off just yet....

Upvote 0