• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Why don't the Red Army have APCR while the Germans do?!!

The question as ever is, how far should RO go towards a tank simulator? After all, tank warefare is only one aspect of the game. Though there are are a lot of us that love the tanks, and probably know more about WW2 armour than is really healthy, the majority of players are here for the infantry combat. As K Rohm said things have been simplified for the sake of gameplay and accessibility for the average player. Thats probably a good thing if you actually want to have any other tanks around to shoot at.

For me the game could go a little farther before it gets to the point where the novice can't jump in any tank and do a reasonable job. Seperate turret and crew hit boxes are a definate, as are doing somthing about position and exiting teleporting, and those damn satchel charges. But a choice of half a dozen round types would confuse the hell out of the average player.

I must admit there are times when I whish I had a silver bullet for those monsters out there, but for the most part HE and AP are sufficient.

Upvote 0
And about HEAT and rifling, at least some Soviet post-WW2 field guns such as D-30 have HEAT rounds. Rotating caused by rifling is negated by making the lead ring (don't know it this is correct English term, the ring around the round made of soft metal such as copper that bites the rifling when round is loaded) freely rotating. So when the HEAT round is fired, the round itself stays relatively stationary in respect to rolling while the ring around it is rotating. It should be investigated if this was invented and used already during WW2.

You're refering to what is called the 'driving band' or 'rotating band'.

Hollow charge rounds were used as tank cannon projectiles during the war. See here for a list of German 75mm & 76mm rounds. The Granate 38 HL round is a hollow charge. I'm uncertain whether that round had metal liner, tin foil, copper, or otherwise, or whether it was merely a hollow charge, so I don't know for certain if it could be considered a HEAT round.

Sabot is any type of sub-caliber round that fires a projectile smaller then the bore. APCR is a sub-caliber round, therefore it is a Sabot munition.

The shell doesn't have to break away or the projectile doesn't have to be some 3 foot long arrow to be sabot.

Almost.

The APCR round is no more a sub-calibre round than an APCBC round is a sub-caliber round. The APCR achieves it higher velocity relative to other rounds of its calibre, by having a lighter weight. A dense core is wrapped with lighter material. That cap doesn't get stripped from the core until the projectile hits its target.

Generally, a 'sabot' or 'boot' is designed to rapidly break away from its penetrator once the projectile has exited the muzzle. Sabots achieve their higher velocity not only by having a lighter weight (in fact most modern penetrators are evolving to increasing mass --- that's why they're getting longer), but also by having less of a cross section and thus less drag. And drag is the reason why the APCR's effectiveness degrades with range.

Upvote 0