• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Why do YOU like to do Early Access/Betas?

I've never felt motivated to do Early Access/Betas.
The sole exception was Minecraft, because I thought it was awesome as it was, despite the fact that it was in Alpha (and most of my hours in Minecraft are preBeta).

This game will be the second exception. And it's because I've thoroughly enjoyed KF1 so much, I'd like to put my money forth as a "vote of confidence" (I think someone else described it this way).

Basically, it's the same motivation that motivates me to preorder certain games or buy games on Day 1 without waiting for it to drop down in price considerably. I'm supporting the developer, and I'm supporting the game. Except this is cooler cause then I'd get the game earlier and be able to be a part of the shaping of that game.

Upvote 0
Alpha, Beta, Gamma, it doesn't matter. What matter is how playable a game is. Don't like an unpolished game? Don't buy unpolished games. Early Access is a system that allows developers out of money to get funded by the community without having to officially release the game right away, essentially ruining the game. Early Access is far from stupid, it is ingenious.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Alpha, Beta, Gamma, it doesn't matter. What matter is how playable a game is. Don't like an unpolished game? Don't buy unpolished games. Early Access is a system that allows developers out of money to get funded by the community without having to officially release the game right away, essentially ruining the game. Early Access is far from stupid, it is ingenious.

yeah, let's just ignore the obvious misuse of Early Access of Earth 2066 scam, Interstellar Marines and their lovely abuse of false advertisement, and the DayZ devs population suddenly disappearing by half once they gain a major boom in their funding.

Early Access is one of those 'great on paper, stupid in reality' concept. It's nice and has a merit, but then you gotta remember that human nature is thrown into the equation, and not every dev thinks or cares about their consumers/fans/gamers. Some just wanna be a Muxwell and try to gain as much cash flow as they can before their crap gets shot down.

Upvote 0
yeah, let's just ignore the obvious misuse of Early Access of Earth 2066 scam, Interstellar Marines and their lovely abuse of false advertisement, and the DayZ devs population suddenly disappearing by half once they gain a major boom in their funding.

Early Access is one of those 'great on paper, stupid in reality' concept. It's nice and has a merit, but then you gotta remember that human nature is thrown into the equation, and not every dev thinks or cares about their consumers/fans/gamers. Some just wanna be a Muxwell and try to gain as much cash flow as they can before their crap gets shot down.
You can say that about every single system mankind has come up with, but that does not make everything stupid. Please, don't be so negative for no reason.

Upvote 0
You can say that about every single system mankind has come up with, but that does not make everything stupid. Please, don't be so negative for no reason.

no reason? I just gave you 3 LEGIT reasons why Early Access isn't a great idea. I'm not being negative, I'm being a realist. I stated Early Access has it's merits, but it isn't a beam down from the heavens as a gift from some sort of cosmic deity. It's got its flaws, and right now, it's ugly side is obviously being shown and many people just don't like it, mostly due to the lack of constraint Steam has on games nowadays or strict regulation.

Upvote 0
I don't like early access to games. As some have said before, there are too many opportunities with early access if things go wrong or you get burnt out then you'll drop the game but still be out full price. They can be done and succeed, my example of it working for me was with Minecraft. I bought the alpha quite early on and enjoy the game still, but I also didn't pay full price and if I hadn't liked the game I wouldn't have been upset due to that.

I by far prefer real beta's/alpha's where the developers say this is what we have so far and we'd appreciate feedback. I participated in an alpha recently and while the game was widely accepted and wanted by the public who had not played any part of it. Those who played found the game seriously lacking and that entire game was scrapped to be reworked. All it cost the players was some time and now they should, although should is a powerful word, end up with a better game.

Upvote 0
There are many problems that can go wrong with Early Access games. Aside from the many people have already mentioned. Here is one problem that poses the bigger picture in my opinion.

Lately on steam I've been seeing a lot of early access games coming out. Most of them are horror / survival games.

Who knows maybe in the future, most companies whether big or small will start pushing out early accessing their games. Can you imagine that? The fact that people are buying games like DayZ sets such a bad tone / example for the gaming industry that it could clearly happen.

"We don't have enough funds to fund this project before it's release date, so we'll push it out for players to buy it and try it that way we'll have gain the necessary funds to complete this project. The rest we'll keep as profit."

OR

"We don't like to invest too much money into this project because we're taking a risk on this and don't know if we can make our money back on this game so we decided to push this game out for early access to see what will happen."

Early Access paves the way for companies to exploit their "unfinished" products for consumer's money. The fact that people are continuing to buy and support early access can be detrimental to consumers and the gaming industry especially in the long run.

Upvote 0
Early Access paves the way for companies to exploit their "unfinished" products for consumer's money. The fact that people are continuing to buy and support early access can be detrimental to consumers and the gaming industry especially in the long run.

It's already going to happen, I was reading something online about a publisher toying with the idea of early access. Don't know if it was EA or who.

Upvote 0
I have no problem with Early Access as is. Steam does a good job when it comes to game scams. You easily get a refund. And on digital delivery its always hard to say certain if a game is good unless you had the chance of trying it. What I really miss these days are good demo versions. Even if the entry price is below 40 bucks its still an investment for a toodler or someone who started with jobing. I was so proud of the Zomboid devs with their demo. It gave me enough insight into the game mechanics that it made me buy in to the Early Access model. I also was blown away by the way The Forest looked on YT even tho it only had 4 ppl developing it. Its a much saver bet then pleding on Kickstarters for a halfevolved idea of some ppl. Knowing TWI for their productivity we get an Early Access Build that will hold above basic content if not mostly a finished game that needs final polish before beeing gold. Another point that justifies the buy in is there is no NDA.

Upvote 0
no reason? I just gave you 3 LEGIT reasons why Early Access isn't a great idea. I'm not being negative, I'm being a realist. I stated Early Access has it's merits, but it isn't a beam down from the heavens as a gift from some sort of cosmic deity. It's got its flaws, and right now, it's ugly side is obviously being shown and many people just don't like it, mostly due to the lack of constraint Steam has on games nowadays or strict regulation.
Calm down dude.

I said, "don't be _SO_ negative for no reason". Not "don't be negative for no reason".

If people need to learn life lessons from buying Early Access games, it is better they learn them from that than learning them from something else IRL. If you don't regret your Early Access purchases, then there is no problem.

Everything has it's flaws, but Early Access has fewer flaws than most things. The name is bad though.

Who claims Early Access is "a beam down from the heavens as a gift from some sort of cosmic deity"? You just look like a fool when you say stupid things like that. You are not being a realist, you are being hyperbolic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey guys, no need to argue. I think we're ALL in agreement that the Early Access system CAN be abused by bad developers.

But for every scandal of a developer abandoning their early access, there are at least ten games that progress successfully to full release status.
1zehuys.jpg

Probly.

Also, think about it this way... before Early Access was a thing, PC games were regularly released in rough or unfinished states anyways, and you'd either wait a couple months after release for some patches to come through and fix things up, or you'd get the game and hope the developers would continue to support it.

So the ONLY difference between then and now is that now developers actually ADMIT that their games aren't fully complete or polished by labeling them as Early Access. ;)

Upvote 0

Early Access is a good idea.... on paper. Reality showed us different face of it. TWI will do well, but necessarily with what I would like KF2 to be.
You will say "You don't have to buy." - you are correct, but at the same time as a fan I'm entitled so say what I would like KF2 to be. If that turns out something I don't like, well... have fun. I don't mind. I just won't support it. Plain and simple.

I can't trust TWI now. Not that they run away with money or release a weak game. Not that. I just don't know which direction KF2 is going to go.
First game is no more consistent - crazy stuff took over. What's gonna happen to KF2 after half a year? No clue. I'll just wait and watch.
I don't mind all those crazy DLCs, but I wish so much I could turn off Steampunk guns and Neon guns and Neon skins for KF - was KF infested by programs from Tron? I just don't like it, and since KF2 is attracting so much attention and opens to bigger customer base I fear we might see this kind of stuff in abundancy. Will they let me turn it off? I don't know.

The money issue. Paying full price for unfinished product feels weird. Both groups are right: those who want to pay (let's say) 1/3 of the full price for incomplete product and those who are willing to pay FULL PRICE and give the company heads up and show their trust. I could do a double exception: buy an Early Access game and pay the full price if I knew KF2 is going to be a spiritual successor to KF1. Since I don't know that I won't drop a dime. Later? Maybe.

Anyway, good luck TWI.

Last edited:
Upvote 0