• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

....why do companies ignore single player?

Briffault

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2011
I know that multiplayer has a huge following. But not all of us enjoy having to watch out for human players hell-bent on ruining the experience. I want to purchase this game, but is the single player element bad? Ofcourse I'll try MP, but not likely, haven't touched an MP game since COD and BF, really soured the experience for me.

Companies are limited by money. The longer something takes to make, the more it costs. The longer you spend on something the higher quality it is.
Red Orchestra is a primarily online game. The more time they spend on single player the lower quality online will be.

As it stands single player is a great tutorial. It taught me the commands. It taught me the general game modes. If I ever get in a tank I know how to work with it. I'm glad they didn't spend more time with it.

Upvote 0
The singleplayer campaign is mostly made to teach you the basics, that is what it does well. However the maps are basically just MP maps with bots, so do not expect scripted events or a deep storyline. So far the tank bots are totally broken, while the infantry bots can do decently, expect them to get stuck, mindlessy melee charge you instead of using their SMGs and fill the doorways with bodies.

The missions last from 8 to 20 minutes, so you will probably finish both campaigns in a day or two.

You should consireder the campaign as some kind of long tutorial that helps you to learn the basics of the multiplayer.

Upvote 0
Companies avoid single player as it is extremely difficult and time consuming creating an AI that challenges even your average human player.

It is easy to make an AI that challenges your average human player. It is hard to create an AI that does it without cheating (always knows where you are) while having realistic aim and reaction times (aimbot / shoots the skies).

Reactions: Nenjin
Upvote 0
This game is actually pretty tactical rather than people running around being idiots, I know where you're coming from but this game tends to draw a more tactical gaming crowd...although not completely strategical :p

I think you should get the game if you're looking for something a little different and more realistic...the game is good an original. Then once you feel comfortable with singleplayer, take a stab at multiplayer and find a role you are good at...like being a MGer defending the flanks, shooting people from a distance or around some support so you don't get flanked so much. You could even be a commander in the game, dropping recon or launching artillery strikes and not even really fighting the fight unless you want to engage.

It's worth a try regardless imo.

Upvote 0
Because games are either multiplayer or singleplayer focused.

Bioshock 2 singleplayer focused but had to implement MP to be more appealing on the box (this game got only singleplayer and this game got both why should i get the one that only got one and not get the one that got both?)

My point is that they include stuff since stupid consumers demand it.

Most games should be exclusive single or multiplayer rarley theres games that are good for both.

Upvote 0
The longest singleplayer experience you can usually find these days is around 20 hours, and even that is pushing it - some exceptions are 50+ hours, but those definitely aren't the standard - even more are under 10 hours, and some, shockingly, are even shorter than that.

Then there are rare singleplayer games like Mount & Blade that I have managed to sink over 300 hours in to :eek:

It's much more typical to sink hundreds of hours in to a multiplayer game - many people have sunk thousands of hours in to RO1 and people will sink thousands of hours in to Heroes of Stalingrad.

And many thousands more.

You couldn't accomplish that with singleplayer-only gameplay.. not with a game like RO2, unless you had a full-fledged editor like Arma 2 and a comparable map (island) size. Even then..

I've been playing the singleplayer and having some fun, but of course I wouldn't recommend anybody pick it up for the singleplayer alone.. it is really just training for the multiplayer.

Upvote 0
SP is good IMO with commanding and what not. Its REALLY hard if you don't command your squad or platoon to do things especially on Hero mode.

It's more like SOCOM than CoD where you have to think and there isnt giant friggen arrows saying "go here for teh big gunz, lulz i sed big" but the SP is opened ended on how you want to progress through it, run up the middle with mg cover? or send 2 squads through their MG fire and take one squad up the left flank to sidewind the enemy.

Upvote 0
It is easy to make an AI that challenges your average human player. It is hard to create an AI that does it without cheating (always knows where you are) while having realistic aim and reaction times (aimbot / shoots the skies).
Realistic reaction times? It's pretty easy to create challenging AI if they have realistic human reaction time. A lot of online players can lock on and score a kill within milliseconds at 100 meters away as soon as you peek out of cover. :D If bots did that consistently in the SP, I doubt I would be able to beat it on Hero.

Upvote 0