• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Why Can't We Get Direct Downloads?

Deathrow Bo Dean

Nov 24, 2014
I'm really starting to have issues with the Steam KF subscribe to download a mutator,perk or some other file that won't let one get just a direct download. When i have some sort of problem with my KF game either client side or server side, why do i have to wait and hope that Steam will deliver the download to a location where i can find and install it?
i'm having a problem trying to repair a broken Doom3KFBeta4 mutator that needs it looks like three sets of files to work.
It seems now that the only way to get these three downloads is to subscribe and hope Steam will download and install them. I'guess i'm now out of the loop when it comes to a repair job on my own Kf game.

Another rant of mine is the fact that when I now turn on my pc A Steam Updating window may appear an say's "Steam is updating" I have no idea just what gamefile or what is be updated. This auto update feature has more than once caused me to not be able to join into some of my favorite servers, because they were dedic ated and did not know of the update.

Another rant, I have a dedicaterdserver for another Steam game that I tested the acces of around 10am one Friday morning. everything was working properly and players were joining. I noticed around 6pm that there were no players playing. I tried to join and found out that there had been a recent update just a few hours ago. So on a Friday night in order to get the server updated and up for my friends and other players, I had to do a last minute update. Why cant Steam offer the client the option of updating before it doe it automatically?
i sorta like the Steam Workshop as a place to get all kinds of mods etc but, i really would ike to be able to get a direct download of a file without all the subscribing to bs....:(

Calm down. Here's not a technical issue or help forum.
If you can't use subscribe system check your own computer knowledge instead of hissing at a system that works for others. If you want a direct download ask for a dropbox download in the comments section. Even using dropbox to download files are not that hard if you can figure out where steam game files are located.

Subscibe to the file you want to download then restart your KF, what's hard to understand about that? If it ain't there for the first restart or you lost your steam connection, restart Steam and try to start KF again. It's nothing to rant about in the official forums.

Dedicated servers should restart themselves after a few days, just have a large pack of favorited servers on your list so you don't stay out in the cold. If you can't join in, then some mutators you installed might cause the problem; unsubscribe the mods and check the related mod notepad in game files.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Most of your threads can be solved by searching around and sending PMs to the users of said mods...

Will a direct download is not the fault of TWI or Steam but the uploader's fault.
It's also the fault of the uploader's to not list the files you are downloading in the description.
Please read badKarma's recent steam workshop errors if you are having trouble downloading stuff, it's on the Steam KF guides.

Upvote 0
I have no issues with Tripwire at this time. My rant was with Steam workshop downloads. Sorry if I ranted a bit. I subccribed some mode from that workshop and even after 2 weeks i still can't find them. or see that they were installed. thats why ii'd like to just get a straight download and do the install without wondering if and when the download fron Steam will arrive.
As for by problem with the "Doom3KFBeta4monster pack and etc , after lots of searching I was able to find the 3 needed files to get it to work again.
As for Steam's willie nillie updating of clien- side and dedicated server files I'll move that rant to the Dedicated Server forum.

Upvote 0
It used to be the only option. A completely fragmented, convoluted, black hole treasure hunt of an option. Being a Steam game it made the most sense to use the Workshop and I'm greatly relived people actually use it. I do agree though, Workshop items absolutely need direct download links. Users with download issues are the minority but would benefit for server admins' necessity for access to content provided without the use of running the game.

Upvote 0
I'm against direct links, this will cause even more version mismatches. What we need is a way to keep the dedicated servers updated and install the mods everything via workshop, like in garry's mod.

In garry's mod, the server admin creates a Workshop Collection and the server is configured to use that collection. When the server restarts (or starts) the new content is installed/updated automatically. See more at:
http://wiki.garrysmod.com/page/Workshop_for_Dedicated_Servers
(OFC this is only valid for Garry's mod)

PS. version mismatches and workshop:
1. There's no option for the user to erase the downloaded files when unsubscribing from some item; so for this case version mismatch will occur if some item is updated.
2. There's no option for the server admins to keep the workshop content updated; so for this case version mismatch will occur if the client is subscribed to the updated item;

Last edited:
Upvote 0