• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Why are medics so rare?

I agree, using the heal argument.
nevertheless on hold position games in HoE i often hear 'don't need medic - go something else pref support' , with teams set up where the plan is to take no more than the armour's worth of damage per wave anyway - through sheer firepower.
Just a thought why phaps medics appear more rare.

What a nice community we have dont we? Medics are rare simply because people "dont" want them. Yet they help all the time. And with a LAR and MP7 the firepower is just about okay.

Upvote 0
I don't remember too well since I haven't touched normal in a while, but I'm pretty sure a level 6 medic can grab a crossbow then kill a fleshpound in 3 bolts. Mind you, that's only one shot while it's running at you, and even if you should miss, a level 6 medic's armor can tank a HoE fleshpound for at least 3 hits. Again, I don't know how many more it is on normal, but I'm going to assume that anyone with working fingers will be able to get that 3rd shot off during that time the FP is standing still hitting him (if you miss the 3rd shot to begin with).

Let's not even talk about what an off-perked M32 can do, lol.

My original comment was in response to the assertion that, in a Normal game, "any class can kill anything unassisted, so people don't tend to needs heals." (Emphasis mine.) I didn't think we were discussing the degree and nature of violence a Medic could visit upon a particular specimen.

sph34r said:
These are problems with players, not the classes. I recommend you play with friends.

Oh, I completely agree. These observations of mine are most definitely based on player behaviour. (I don't endorse internecine warfare among perks. Or, at least, I try not to.) I'm simply offering the notion that Medic might just require a pretty mellow individual to deal with both the zeds and the often unreasonable survivors. There are undoubtedly exceptions, but generally, I'd say if a player dies during a wave, they should accept that the Medic's inability to save their bacon probably wasn't the primary cause of their demise. In my experiences, that simple concept seems to be quite rare on a public server. As a result, it just might lead to a reluctance by many to play as a Medic.

I'd love to play on the 'net with a regular crew, but the web access where I am is like the Flintstones. I try and sneak a game in when I'm somewhere with a decent connection. At home, there are only a few servers, (who shall remain nameless), I can reach with a sub-600ms ping. "Leading your target" while aiming takes on a entirely new significance under those circumstances.

Upvote 0
What a nice community we have dont we? Medics are rare simply because people "dont" want them. Yet they help all the time. And with a LAR and MP7 the firepower is just about okay.

well i guess, but when ppl are trying for map achievements on hoe they can get a bit bossy and i kinda understand that if you arrive in the middle of a game.
Doesn't bother me - KF's community has more than it's fair share of tetchy, bossy and rage-ridden elements in my experience thats just the way it is.

Upvote 0
My original comment was in response to the assertion that, in a Normal game, "any class can kill anything unassisted, so people don't tend to needs heals." (Emphasis mine.) I didn't think we were discussing the degree and nature of violence a Medic could visit upon a particular specimen.

The general format of "throw grenade, rage with a big gun, throw 2 more grenades" will kill a fleshpound using just about any "powerful" weapon. For example, throwing a grenade, HSG alt-fire, then 2 more grenades. Or the crossbow, or M32, or what have you.

I limited my previous response to medic because that was supposed to be the focus of the thread. I wasn't implying anything about what you said.

Upvote 0

You have a condensed point of view. You (presumably from your previous posts) have never played HoE/Suicidal, which is where the majority of this animosity towards medics originates. For every person in HoE, there are approximately 50 more zeds in a wave, all with a higher HP. If your team has a medic, that is 50 more zeds that OTHER players must kill, as the medic does not have the firepower to contribute to the higher HP zeds.

And on a good team, people will rarely get hurt, so the medic will end up just taking up space and making the waves tougher for everyone else.

Normal tactics and team composition =/= HoE tactics and team composition.

Upvote 0
Medics in KF are often played couse of its armor and speed benefits... 1 out of 4 medics does his job at being in rear darting ppl or front tanking fp (obviously in public context...)

As many said, medics start to popout in suicidal/hoe (normal/hard aren't really a must have), are a thankless perk (sometimes couse ppl doesn't even knew they got a dart in it's butt, and sometimes by non-polite players lol) and often insulted by the dead players xD who make a mistake (what the f*** where u doing?) but if 1 of 6 team being medic gets really hard to be aware of all other 5 lads... zerker? needs its personal medic... demolitions? needs its medical visit if zeds get close or a pipe goes of in his feet... poor commando if a fp spawns too near...

i always say thanks to any medic out there, so if they stop playing medics (because some sort of thankless depression) it won't be my fault xD!

ou, almost every time i played, medics tend to be the last to die and can "save the wave" just by picking that xbow next to (me) that sharp's grinded body or that m32...

Upvote 0
I can usually grab 300-400 kills a game as a medic, including pulling off really good heals, bodyblocking raging scrakes and FPs, taking out husks and sirens with a LAR, ect. I enjoy the class when I am in the mood. I generally have a HC, LAR, and MP7, playing on HoE. I don't feel like I am dragging my team down when I play one.

Upvote 0
I can usually grab 300-400 kills a game as a medic, including pulling off really good heals, bodyblocking raging scrakes and FPs, taking out husks and sirens with a LAR, ect. I enjoy the class when I am in the mood. I generally have a HC, LAR, and MP7, playing on HoE. I don't feel like I am dragging my team down when I play one.

^ This.

Although it could be argued still. While there are 6 man support or 6 man 'zerker on HoE, I think it's a moot point. My friends and I have played successfully completed HoE with a mixed team. Often consisting of Medic, Commando, Sharpie, FB and two support. Pub games are a different though. I just put it down to the retardation effect that the internet has on people.

Upvote 0

Wow. It's like a text about me.

Medics are generaly useful, and i do the same as you. Usualy end up with 460+ kills at the end. Enough for me and my team. As far as i know.

People have added me alot because i healed them well.

Reactions: Rainydaykid
Upvote 0
The issue with medic is if you're going to be doing a lot of killing as one you're better off playing another perk that is more effective at killing zeds. People on HoE and suicidal are generally competent enough at healing each other to the point where the extra firepower is often preferred over the extra heals. I think this is why medics aren't as common as they once were, though if healing was removed or severely nerfed for non-medics (note: I am NOT suggesting this) medic would probably be an essential class that every squad can't do without.

Of course if your squad is taking a lot of damage a medic is great to have along. ;)

Upvote 0
I thank my medic every time he heals me. It's a hard job and one of my favorites to play. (and most frustrating)

The way I interpreted the op, was that he plays medic and it's rare to see another in the same server. When he does they're wielding DHC or other off perk weapons. On suicidal and below, 1 medic is usually plenty. I won't play second medic.

What I think is rare, is the presence of a good medic on hard and below. You know, someone that actually makes healing his teammates a priority?

Upvote 0
I generally play on hard difficulty, lv 3 medic, run xbow and medic smg. I generally carry the team both in kills and in heals, not to mention that if I screw up my third/fourth headshot needed to solo a 6 man hard fleshpound, my armor lets me tank. All the dosh that doesn't pay for my cheap armor and bolts go to my teammates.

I don't see why more people don't play medic. You have so many tools with which to carry your team, at least on lower difficulties. Can't speak for higher difficulties until my perks are more leveled up.

Upvote 0