• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Whats effecting my loading time?

Warishell

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 16, 2010
I was wondering what is effecting my loading times so much? I am never able to play 1st round on CD maps..!

...Or is it just most people just have much faster machines then me?

My spec:

Asus p5b deluxe
intel quad q8600 2.33 ghz
Asus En9800 GT TOP
6gb Ram
Windows 7

Same very long loading times here, and I'm not convinced the spec of GPU would cause long loading times. I have a GForce GTX580 with 1.5GB ram. I also have the game installed on a fast (10k rpm) WD VelociRaptor, regularly defragmented. I am almost always the first to load RO1/DH maps.

Now I do run on XP with 4GB ram which might be an issue, but from what I can see, RO2 loads about 1-1.5GB into memory on map load. My CPU is not top of the line, a Core 2 Quad Q9550 running at 2.8Ghz, so it might cause it too.

In RO1 there was a precache setting you could set in ini-files, that drastically improved map loading times. Can't find anything similar in RO2.

EDIT: I find this in the log:
[0038.66] Log: LoadMap: 81.166.125.6:20100/TE-Apartments?Name=Player?Team=255?HonorLevel=7?game=ROGame.ROGameInfoTerritories
[0038.79] DevMemory: Virtual memory allocation size: 195.43 MByte (204922880 Bytes)
[0078.63] Log: Primary PhysX scene will be in software.
[0078.63] Log: Creating Primary PhysX Scene.
[0078.63] Log: Bringing World TE-Apartments.TheWorld up for play (90) at 2011.09.03-12.43.09
[0078.65] Log: Bringing up level for play took: 0.154538
[0078.65] Warning: Warning, Failed to load 'Class None.': Failed to find object 'Class None.'
[0078.65] Warning: Warning, Failed to find object 'Class None.'
[0078.65] Log: PlayerController class for the pending level is PlayerController
[0080.85] Log: ########### Finished loading level: 42.185345 seconds

So it takes 42 secs to load a level. Is that normal? Also, why does DevMemory say allocation size is 195MB? And why does PhysX go in software?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm also having problems with slow map loading times. The strangest part is that I am running the game from an Intel X25-M SSD :confused:

Specs

ASUS p5n32-e SLI
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 ghz
EVGA gtx 570 1280 MB GDDR5
4 gigs RAM
Intel X25-M SSD 80GB

I'm fairly confident that my processor/mobo is my bottleneck, FPS-wise, could it also be affecting my load times?

Upvote 0
I was having similar issues, and had thought my graphics card drivers were up to date. I reinstalled new drivers and the problem was gone. Load times went form 1.5-2 minutes down to 25 seconds.

Seriously? A bit more details would help a lot, what brand of card and what version of driver did you update to?

Upvote 0
I was having similar issues, and had thought my graphics card drivers were up to date. I reinstalled new drivers and the problem was gone. Load times went form 1.5-2 minutes down to 25 seconds.

Bizarrely, I can confirm this.

My load times were well over 1 minute, I've upgraded to the latest Nvidia drivers, and now load times are about 20 seconds.

AMD quad, nvid 9800 1gb.

Go to http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us To get the most up to date drivers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was wondering what is effecting my loading times so much? I am never able to play 1st round on CD maps..!

...Or is it just most people just have much faster machines then me?

My spec:

Asus p5b deluxe
intel quad q8600 2.33 ghz
Asus En9800 GT TOP
6gb Ram
Windows 7

2 things your oldfashion hardrive and internet connection.

Upvote 0
Oh man, many thanks for this idea (and btw Warishell for this thread, otherwise I would still have the long loading times)! I thought it was my harddisk being so slow. Tried updating the drivers of my old ATI Radeon HD 4800. And I experienced exactly the same improvement as you! (Btw I thought steam would update my graphics driver automatically, but after reading the information here, I checked the drivers). :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
If you're having problems with extremely long load times for a map (1-2 minutes), open ROEngine.ini (in My Documents\My Games\UnrealEngine3\ROGame\Config) and set this:

[Engine.ISVHacks]
bInitializeShadersOnDemand=True

For me, it changed level loading times from 50-60sec to about 10-20. It might have a less desireable sideeffect of some stuttering while the game has to initialize shaders, but if you have a good card it should not matter much.

Upvote 0
Same very long loading times here, and I'm not convinced the spec of GPU would cause long loading times. I have a GForce GTX580 with 1.5GB ram. I also have the game installed on a fast (10k rpm) WD VelociRaptor, regularly defragmented. I am almost always the first to load RO1/DH maps.

Now I do run on XP with 4GB ram which might be an issue, but from what I can see, RO2 loads about 1-1.5GB into memory on map load. My CPU is not top of the line, a Core 2 Quad Q9550 running at 2.8Ghz, so it might cause it too.

In RO1 there was a precache setting you could set in ini-files, that drastically improved map loading times. Can't find anything similar in RO2.

EDIT: I find this in the log:

So it takes 42 secs to load a level. Is that normal? Also, why does DevMemory say allocation size is 195MB? And why does PhysX go in software?

I'm wondering the exact same thing about Physx. I'd love to run it through my card.

Upvote 0