• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What will we see from RO:HoS at GamesCom 2009?

It's not an artificial problem, it's a real one. Why? Bullet drop for one thing.

Lets take a Mosin Nagant rifle, with a muzzle velocity of 1100 m/s. At 200 meters, it takes 0.18 seconds to reach target (longer really, but I don't know how much speed falls off by then due to drag). In that 0.18 seconds, the bullet drops 16cm. At 100 meters, that's only a drop of 4 cm. That's a 12 cm difference with a rifle. That won't make a big difference with a guy standing out in the open, but if just the helmet is peaking out, that can make the difference between a hit and a miss.

Now imagine that difference with a pistol round - say an MP40 at 380 m/s muzzle velocity. 34 cm drop at 100 meters, 135 cm drop at 200 meters. That's a difference of 1.01 meters (3 feet). A 3 foot difference in aiming seems pretty relevant to me.

you are forgetting drag and lift.

Also some freeaim while in iron sights is realistic just not as much as you would have when hipped.

Upvote 0

Also some freeaim while in iron sights is realistic just not as much as you would have when hipped.

i cant see how...
in order to keep the sights aligned they ALLWAYS stay right in the center of your FoV
just take a rifle and try it

i think some ppl confuse misalignment of the sights when turning with freeaim

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's one of the worst arguments cause.. in the end it's my money. I'm the consumer. It's like saying it's no problem turn a blind eye to everyone who has supported them up to this point and trade them in for a whole new demographic just because it's larger. Doesnt really sit well.

Actually, the goal with ROHOS is to expand the accessibility of the game to a much larger demographic, without alienating most of the fans of the original RO. And whether you agree with our decisions or not, every thing we've added to ROHOS has gone through countless hours of internal discussions, heated arguments, debates, prototyping, and gameplay testing before you even hear about it. We don't take these decisions lightly, so if we've added something to the game (and bear in mind, we've actually PLAYED it ;) ) we think it either really adds to the realism of the game, or really adds to the fun or accessibility without going so far that it is too "gamey" and will alienate all the RO players.

All I have to say is this - no crosshairs. Just that feature alone will likely cut out a large portion of the people that might buy or play ROHOS. Some people will just say "WTH, no crosshairs, screw this game". If we were REALLY selling out, that would be the first thing we added.

Upvote 0
All I have to say is this - no crosshairs. Just that feature alone will likely cut out a large portion of the people that might buy or play ROHOS. Some people will just say "WTH, no crosshairs, screw this game". If we were REALLY selling out, that would be the first thing we added.

So true most of them won't like anything about the game even if it is good without the silly crosshairs.

Upvote 0
He's telling that if there was some control over the alignment of the ironsights, it would be more realistic. Which I agree. It's usually hard to keep them aligned for a long time.

depends on the weapon
if its a peep sight weapon you can keep the aligned for a LONG time, if its say a Kar98 type sight you'll get problems
also verry much depends on the leinght of the weapon

i personally can do verry fast 170

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I didn't forget. I choose to ignore it, as I don't know how to calculate such things. Drag would slow down the bullet, leading to more bullet drop, and a greater difference. I don't know if lift compensates all that much. Can someone with better math / aerodynamic skills enlighten us?

LemoN said:
i personally can do verry fast 170

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I didn't forget. I choose to ignore it, as I don't know how to calculate such things. Drag would slow down the bullet, leading to more bullet drop, and a greater difference. I don't know if lift compensates all that much. Can someone with better math / aerodynamic skills enlighten us?

But can you stop on a dime RIGHT on a target with that MN or an MG-34?

with a mosin no, with a G36c, yes pretty much
but that wasnt really the point
the point was just that freeaim whilst in ironsights is unrealistic PERIOD
misalignment -yes
freeaim - no

Upvote 0
Your argument is the poor one, of course it sould be easier to see, because you are not seeing as much as you could in RL, your normal vision in game is zoomed out just too much, making everything look twice as far but yeah, lets ignore that no matter how many times we say it

and WTF is that thing about creating a larger problem?? its a much lesser problem (if a problem at all)

When I am shooting, and I focus on my target, it does not become easier to spot. When holding my breath, it does not become easier to spot it.

Like I said, I can understand the reasoning for iron sight zoom, though it multiple problems, as detailed above. But breathing zoom? That makes no sense whatsoever.

Upvote 0
with a mosin no, with a G36c, yes pretty much
but that wasnt really the point
the point was just that freeaim whilst in ironsights is unrealistic PERIOD
misalignment -yes
freeaim - no

Actually, the lift / drag thing was about the difference between shooting at 100 meters and 200 meters. SchutzeSepp said there was no difference that mattered:

SchutzeSepp said:
thats' really an artificial problem that exists in theory, it does not manifest in a tangible way; what is the difference between shooting someone IRL who according to your brains calculation stands at 100m of you.
and between shooting someone ingame who according to your brains is standing at 100m of you aswell?

I was arguing the 3 foot greater drop between 100 and 200 meters with an SMG round does matter.

Upvote 0
i will give you that one, messed up ballistics is the biggest draw back of having the wrong depth impression.
but then ballistics is a quite relative term in RO, i have to adjust my aim from server to server most oftenly depending on my ping rather than because of ballistics.

if we had the correct view, then it would be more interesting to be forced to take ballistics more into account. because in RO, the distance at wich ballistics start playing a notable role, is the distance at wich things things become pixels, and where your are unable to do anything but rough aim adjustments.
(wait did i just say something pro-aim zoom? :eek: make it a toggeable option anyway! plz)

Upvote 0
Actually, the lift / drag thing was about the difference between shooting at 100 meters and 200 meters. SchutzeSepp said there was no difference that mattered:

i was originally replying to this:
Am I crazy or did anyone else notice free aim while in iron sights during the vid? I was hoping they would include this.

Upvote 0
Actually, the goal with ROHOS is to expand the accessibility of the game to a much larger demographic, without alienating most of the fans of the original RO. And whether you agree with our decisions or not, every thing we've added to ROHOS has gone through countless hours of internal discussions, heated arguments, debates, prototyping, and gameplay testing before you even hear about it. We don't take these decisions lightly, so if we've added something to the game (and bear in mind, we've actually PLAYED it ;) ) we think it either really adds to the realism of the game, or really adds to the fun or accessibility without going so far that it is too "gamey" and will alienate all the RO players.

You guys do realize that even having a developer respond to your concerns like this, every page or so is a huge deal? Game developers that sell out don't stay in constant contact with their consumers, reassuring them that everything is going to be okay. They just don't.

That alone should be more than enough to quell your fears.

Upvote 0
You guys do realize that even having a developer respond to your concerns like this, every page or so is a huge deal? Game developers that sell out don't stay in constant contact with their consumers, reassuring them that everything is going to be okay. They just don't.

That alone should be more than enough to quell your fears.

and not just a dev, but teh boss

Upvote 0
Yeah, Ramm quit reading the forums and get back to work. Let the PR giys handle us rabble!
What PR guys? If you are referring to me, you have to remember that we are still a small company. I end up doing the PR because we don't have a PR department! What I actually do for a living is mix up design, history and doing the financial stuff...

Upvote 0