• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

"What we are up to" - Feb 3rd edition

"and take feedback from their as we move forward with it:" -- it's there, you used the wrong word.

By the way, i Nerdgasmed all over my screen upon reading that post. Yoshiro, tripwire, sirs, I SALUTE YOU !

You've simply searched my brain for every annoyance i have about Ro2 realism and said you're going to change it, honestly, couldn't be more pleased with this post thanks a million.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wookie87 and jalex3
Upvote 0
What about removing who killed who counter to add realism? Removing score sheet from being accessable only will also make it realistic if you really think about it. It can still be there and scores can still count but make them not visible, the only time we should know if we are winning or losing is how the fight is going not by pressing Tab and seeing MW3 kill numbers, thats unrealistic. Please consider that because the fact is that its logical and fitting for this new mode. New maps better be large, and I mean large to cater to the no lockdown tactical camping gameplay.

Upvote 0
Thank you for separate game play modes.

Several changes I'd consider good like no AI tank guns, increased effects from no stamina, movement penalties from being shot in the legs (isn't this already in game? I've definately been significantl slowed down from bandaged red leg wounds except you only live through these if its your only wound). Then changes I'm not so happy with like no SL spawn, no bandage system (really it just needs to be fixed/overhauled not removed entirely), removal of elements that try to get around the limitations of displays vs human eyes like zoom, indicators etc. I'll try it, but prob just stick to realism.

Other thoughts would be it seems like allies will be dominating unless they rebalanced reinforcements. With level 3 ppsh and lvl 3 svt they have the weapon advantage since the difference between snipers/MGS/bolts is not that much in classic. Currently they also have reinforcements and terrain advantage on most maps to counter germans previous overall weapons advantage.

What about removing who killed who counter to add realism?
I'd still love to see this in realism. Its one of the most realistic changes you can make, a soldier on the battle field doesn't know if he killed someone or not all the time. Also, if they made death moans occur slightly more often that could be an indicator sometimes. Insurgency did it quite well, so it does work amongst the hardcore fps crowd.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There's a difference between realism and punishing players for playing the game. You should not remove things from the HUD and UI that tell the player what is happening in their game. Please remember that this is still a game and as such aids need to be implemented in the game to make up for the fact that the player is missing various cues that he/she would have if they were in reality. For instance, knowing where your teammates are, especially your NCOs, and knowing what the current objective is. A major problem with RO2 is that the game hides much of the game from players whether they're playing Normal or Realism modes.

Upvote 0
Guys, this isn't an "Uber realism" mode - it's an Red Orchestra Classic mode.

I would argue peripheral indicators and intuitively knowing where you team mates are in your immediate vicinity are realistic. I also agree death messages aren't realistic and could be removed. But these aren't RO1 changes - so those are apparently out.

Also, remember this is going into beta. They made add or remove things before it goes "final."

Honestly, I think a lot of what feels like RO1 to me has to do with the map design. Larger maps that require rifles and allow for flanking is what can really bring back the RO1 feeling for me. For that, we'll have to wait for new maps to come out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Something to keep in mind is RO Classic is not designed to be more "realistic". If there is one thing we've learned, that is all in the eye of the beholder. It is designed to make the overall experience feel more like RO 1.

As I mentioned we will continue to refine and perhaps add to the other modes as well. We'll be watching how things go and there might be some changes we decide to take to other modes and some changes to the other modes we decide not to bring to classic.

Upvote 0