• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What was the best tank of the Battle of Stalingrad? ;)

Panther did way better, so did king tiger, and the tiger I

Oh really? I pretty much doubt it. The panther is indeed a great tank but it had several problems:
1) Fielded too early cutting the effective force in half because of mechanical failures
2) By the later stages of the war, the quality of German's armor composit was severely reduced by the lack of different alloys in the german industry.
This meant that even though the IS-2 had problems with a low quality armor piercing round, the sheer kinetic energy of the 122mm shell would crack the frontal plate.
3) The tiger and king tiger were complete and utter failures from economic and macro point of view. Their cost was unreasonably high, had a very hard time being recovered, often required a complete removal from combat for repair. The weight restricted it from many bridges and crossings. Designed as a heavy tank for spearheading major offensives,
it ended up being shoved to shut armor dangerous areas, time to time being rushed on trains because of the sheer weight and mobility problems.
4) the king tiger had so many suspension problems that it was not much more than a mobile pillbox.
5) the IS-2 wasn't designed to combat armor but to destroy heavy fortifications, hence why the d25-t 122mm gun was taken over the ds-10 100mm gun which had unitary rounds, and a better armor penetration than both the Tiger 1 and Panther armament.

P.S All hail the :IS2:

Reactions: echutter
Upvote 0
People on the RO forums have argued so much about the best tank of WW2 that it's become a local meme :IS2:. How about we discuss the best tank used in the Battle of Stalingrad in RO?
I like the T34. It's made for flanking, and it very effective if used against the slow panzers properly.
I mean Is-2 lol.

The best is a broad question many levels of performance for a tank.So I look at it as the most feared the one tank that the germans struggled to take out was the kv-1 its side/rear armor was thicker than most's frontal armor.In the street fighting of stalingrad speed and main gun played a back seat to survivability.(just my opinion tho)
images

Upvote 0
I vote for the Sturminfanteriegeschutz 33B.

Not really a tank but an SP gun toting a building-bustin' 150mm heavy gun. A grand total of 6 of these made it to Stalingrad (I think). They were used in the Red Barricades attacks. Would be a hoot to have them in game.

This photo is taken at the Gumrak railway station on 29 October 42.

sIG-quest-01.jpg

Upvote 0