• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What type of maps would you like to see

What type of maps would you like to see

• Infantry only

Votes: 160 41.9%
  • Vehicle only

Votes: 66 17.3%
  • Combined Arms

Votes: 299 78.3%

• Total voters
Personally I'm an Infantry only kind of player. With that said though. There really should ONLY be 1 choice. This choice would be Combined Arms. When the maps are properly done these give everyone what they are looking for.

Examples of great maps are: Berlin, Tractorworks, Lenningrad, Berenzina, Konigsplatz, Parizerplatz.

With those said it is still mostly a infantry only game with support from the tanks and without such support the battles would be stalemated. The infantry always have to be the clearing factor whereas the tanks have their own personal skirmishes and of course help do some building clearing of MG'ers, Snipers etc. Those dug in Alabama tick types... :p

One thing that does need to be added that is missing is Machine Gun nests where ANYONE can just grab and fire of course these are placements and can't be moved. We have almost every other type of weaponry in game except these???

RAMM:

I think many have a tendency to forget that RO is the culmination of all RO, DH, MN, CC. Yes RO Vanilla as a whole hasn't died but yes it's numbers are down. I for one haven't played it but twice since DH came out. As far as US or American Servers there are just enough to keep everyone busy for every hour of the day. The 29th and CLOWNS Darkest Hour Playhouse always have players filling the servers during particular times for US folks, some Europeans, and even Australians - this being 8PM EST to 3AM EST. For tank only there are also plenty of servers there as well. I think the US is well covered for those wanting to play Darkest Hour and TWB has their RO East Coast "Old Glory" Server that does very well when they seed it.

It just irritates me and probably other server admins when folks say there are NO servers out there but yet when they are seeded they fill to capacity EASILY and QUICKLY. We do it nightly on our server and it works every single time. Some servers of course have clan members with huge numbers of folks to seed, so their servers remain full usually 24/7. Now with all the voting on here for Infantry Only and Combined Arms I do NOT understand why these Infantry Only and Combined Arms Only servers remain empty most other hours and yet people keep complaining about empty servers or a so called dieing community. If people would just get out there and do something about it rather than come to a forum and complain about it. I get my 40-80 hours a week of great games on DH and I only play on one DH server and one RO server - that being our server and the TWB server mentioned earlier...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
....... it just irritates me and probably other server admins when folks say there are NO servers out there but yet when they are seeded they fill to capacity EASILY and QUICKLY. We do it nightly on our server and it works every single time. Some servers of course have clan members with huge numbers of folks to seed, so their servers remain full usually 24/7. Now with all the voting on here for Infantry Only and Combined Arms I do NOT understand why these Infantry Only and Combined Arms Only servers remain empty most other hours and yet people keep complaining about empty servers or a so called dieing community. If people would just get out there and do something about it rather than come to a forum and complain about it. I get my 40-80 hours a week of great games on DH and I only play on one DH server and one RO server - that being our server and the TWB server mentioned earlier...

My guess is that they have their filters set all screwy to block out empty servers and full servers or servers with a paticular ping rate (or have no bots), so they only get 2-5 different servers to choose from rather then the dozens I keep seeing.

Of course at the moment I kinda just stick to two different servers.... the SIN server and the Arad Real Forest 24/7 one.

Upvote 0
Infantry and combined arms for me. And yeah, as some other people have previously stated, the tanks could use some work, like enter/exit animations, position switching delays and things like that. A game that strives for realism should have approximately equal realism both in vehicle and infantry aspects :)

Upvote 0
My guess is that they have their filters set all screwy to block out empty servers and full servers or servers with a paticular ping rate (or have no bots), so they only get 2-5 different servers to choose from rather then the dozens I keep seeing.

Yes I always forget to bring that up but you hit the nail right on the head. We've had many of our regulars even say where the hell you guys been when we've been there all the along. I simply try to keep telling folks in game to simply add us to your favorites this way it's always there.

Well the servers are there, it's the players that need to frequent them and make a server their own. This is how communities are started. As you mentioned you have done so with those you mentioned and I have with those I've mentioned.

I just wish Steam would fix their server browser for DH servers. Only one appears EVER and it's a TWB server - must be something in the .ini or lack of mutators or something.

Upvote 0
For example, take the factory assaulting scene from the stalingrad movie. The whole time you can see the soldiers finding easily cover and all around them being lots of small "cliffs" of rumble (with various shapes, avoiding being nice and "round" like cliffs you see in the country), something like konigsplatz (sp?) but more random and not in straight lines. Hope you can get roughly what I mean :p.

This. I love that movie. So much rubble and crap lying around, and the soldiers perfectly blend in with their environment because they are so dirty.

The more rubble the maps will have, the better... as long as players don't get stuck all the time. Would love RO:HoS to look like that.

Upvote 0
Personally i like rubble etc but there should be long patches of open ground as well it should be a nice mix.

As there should be a possibility to hit at long range as well rather than only fight at close range. When the change came from the mod to roost, one of the biggest things i missed in maps were open stretches where you really needed to work together to pass.

In the transformation from mod maps to roost the roads in maps were filled with a bit too many wood logs, tripped over trucks and sandbag emplacements for my taste.

A map should offer both long range and short range fighting, with ways players can use to be effective on both. This was one of the sucesses of maps like berlin. It offered loads of close combat for smgs and true long range combat for rifleman.

I personally love tractor works, hobo's maps and schutzesepp's maps for offering big battlegrounds with open areas yet loads of close fighting as well. Although the default closer range infantry maps are great to play as a form of relaxation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This. I love that movie. So much rubble and crap lying around, and the soldiers perfectly blend in with their environment because they are so dirty.

The more rubble the maps will have, the better... as long as players don't get stuck all the time. Would love RO:HoS to look like that.

Glad someone understood that wall of text I wrote :eek:. But Zetsumei is also right, there has to be some more open maps that will allow bigger fighting distances (maybe the first few weeks of the battle when the roads were not just piles of rumbles), but I really hope that when we are playing on more "ruined" maps, the whole scenery will be properly destroyed and not shouting from afar that it was made for a game (like in cod2 where you knew every small hole on the walls or in the sandbag after a few games)

Upvote 0
combined arms makes people forget about tactics as the battlefield is so open and the battles are taking places so far away, one relaxes.

i like infantry, where small details matter. staying behind cover helps you survive....in open battles, who cares? the fighting's being done by tanks over the hill somewhere.

Upvote 0
Glad someone understood that wall of text I wrote :eek:. But Zetsumei is also right, there has to be some more open maps that will allow bigger fighting distances (maybe the first few weeks of the battle when the roads were not just piles of rumbles), but I really hope that when we are playing on more "ruined" maps, the whole scenery will be properly destroyed and not shouting from afar that it was made for a game (like in cod2 where you knew every small hole on the walls or in the sandbag after a few games)

the main thing for me is when buildings are turned to rubble mostly the wide roads of cities should still pretty much allow you to watch from one side of the street to the other.

There shouldnt be open maps really and close quarters maps, most maps should somewhat offer both. Still to this day the map that did that the best that i can remember was berlin from the mod.

You had buildings where the smgs could be king with big indoor battles. But you had entire stretches of streets open for like 200 meters and big patches of square.

In that sense pretty similar to say kriegstadt or tractorworks, where you have big open areas where you fight yet the buildings itself are not just small farmhouses ala arad so you can have real indoor room to room fighting with smgs. Both smgs can focus at what they are good at, increasing the fun for both parties.

Note i do not consider maps like arad and ogledow combined arms maps myself those are tank maps with some infantry thrown in. Combined arms maps are maps with say max 1 or 2 tanks per side.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i was talking about maps that had a good mix of smg ranges and rifle ranges.

Btw checkout [url]www.redorchestra.pl[/URL] to checkout some maps praxius.
Kriegstadt, Parizerplatz, Tracktorworks and Gorlitz are nice maps to try out.

YES parizerplatz, being trying to remember that map for days now.

Really loved the part behind the bradenburg gate (you know, the open space that is full of craters and small hills) as well as the roads even more behind. Now imagine this whole scenery with better graphics and more details that will give it a more realistically bombarded effect! Wish TWB used this map more often :(

Upvote 0
combined arms makes people forget about tactics as the battlefield is so open and the battles are taking places so far away, one relaxes.

i like infantry, where small details matter. staying behind cover helps you survive....in open battles, who cares? the fighting's being done by tanks over the hill somewhere.
Yea, I agree. I finded RO mod before the combined maps/tanks came in much more enthralling because of the detail put unto it. RO infantry only maps are the best ones imo.

Upvote 0
combined arms, infantry only sounds best for starter

mixed with infantry with non heavy (light, transportation) vehicles

i find that most fun while vehicle maps may be good but not in long term
(not saying to drop them it all depends what's done, possible etc.)
so maybe later as free expansions to the game ...

Upvote 0
Yea, I agree. I finded RO mod before the combined maps/tanks came in much more enthralling because of the detail put unto it. RO infantry only maps are the best ones imo.

Hmm I actually love combined arms. Big maps with tanks giving support to infantry, is the best maps. Sniper, tanks, HT,mgs, rifles, smgs the hole pack in one big map, is one of the things that make RO unique.

Upvote 0
I think the ideal tank maps are (o noes im gona say it) Arad and Ogledow. Although they aren't "pure" tank maps I like the fact that there is anti tank infantry running around also which keeps you on your toes. Arad would be better if the buildings in the central cap zones could be accessible and more dangerous as anti-tank infantry would no doubt be lurking inside - which would in turn require the opposite team to have some men to go in and clear it out before the tanks went in (Oh how I wish people would actually put tactics into use instead of running around blindly as in other FPS's)

I think an ideal combined maps are like Konigsplatz and Hedgehog where in a lot of instances (especially in Konigs) you actually need the tank support and sometimes need them to move up as well due to the lack of cover

But RO I believe has the right to pride themselves on their excellent infantry maps as it promotes you to get comfortable (not too comfortable hopefully) in a position and hold off as best as possible and to survive. I like the fact how the importance of being alive is emphasised as you can quickly loose your ground when you die and spawn quite some distance away from the front

Upvote 0