• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design WF-Saint Amand

nymets1104

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 18, 2012
USA
StAlmandLogo.jpg

This is a fictional map set in North Western France after the breakout from Normandy towards the end of the Battle of the Falaise Pocket (August 12 - 21, 1944). It is also my first map and while I feel that I have learned quite a bit in the last few weeks, I have very far to go and would welcome any and all criticism, input, or opinions on the map. I hope to have a playable version within the next week. I have included a few sneak peeks here.

***A Huge shout out to Catalavos for all of his assistance in getting this far.***
I also appreciate all of the help I have received from other mappers that have made previous threads and comments on this forum. I play a very narrow band of games and can honestly say that the RO2 community is far and away the best group of players I have come across yet.
Thanks!

and if you haven't subscribed to the Heroes of the West Mod on Steam Workshop yet...Do it here!

Spoiler!

And now with Fog... Which do you prefer? I am really liking the Fog, not too thick though.
Spoiler!

Last edited:
Great job! :)
As soon as I have finished my Stalingradkessel revision I should really join in on Western Front mapping as they need maps. It's good to see that you're already on it! Keep it up.
A few things I noticed though: the pond's water is too shiny in my eyes, the clouds above would surely make it appear darker. Also the map looks too bright for the stormy clouds above, or is it just me?
Catalavos is indeed a wizard, he helped me a great deal with the lightning of my map also. :)

Upvote 0
Looking good so far! Btw, research a bit on how French towns looked back than and you can start adding more bushes, trees, and maybe even start on hedgerows.

Yes I see I need to add more foliage / plants for sure. I am changing the River also as I didn't realize that I had been using the "Ocean" Material from RS Maps. I had planned on adding hedgerows, but think I will add those to my next map once I find a good way to implement them.

The more I play with the Fog, the more I think I like it as well. Like GG Moe stated, I will thin it out a bit just enough to set the mood for a wet overcast morning but not interfere too much with distant views. The size of the map should accommodate 5 cap zones well in a 2 - 1 - 2 format (similar to the first 5 cap zones on Bridges). Once I finish laying out capzones, bot paths, overhead map and all the cover nodes I will upload it for testing and see if I might even get it packaged in with the Heroes of the West files after I run it by Moskeeto / Commander Shepard. Thanks for your guys' input.

Upvote 0