• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Weapon malfunction

oldsoldier173

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2012
Ceresco, NE
Why is there no chance of a weapons malfunction? Misfires, jams, nothing.

The early PPsH was notorious for jams as the initial drum magazines malfunctioned. The MP-40 if mag was inserted wrong or stressed on (held)jammed weapon. The MG-34 would have extractor problems and double feed on prolonged bursts, the DP-28 would pull rim from fired cartridge leaving remaining case still in barrel, next round would not feed.

Mr. Murphy was out there, weapons malfunctioned, grenades were duds, but yet not in game? If you want reality maybe that slight chance of Mr. Murphy as you line up that perfect shot and 'click' round misfires.....

Mr. Murphy was out there, weapons malfunctioned, grenades were duds, but yet not in game? If you want reality maybe that slight chance of Mr. Murphy as you line up that perfect shot and 'click' round misfires.....

Why is it not in the game?

The devs have mentioned that they didn't want to add a random chance mechanic to the game, but more realistically, it probably just didn't justify the added development time... especially the animation work required.

Upvote 0
The only FPS game I know of having this is Americas Army, and I haven't played that one in a decade.

What I do know would be the most hated feature in the game would be the glitch on open bolt SMG's, a "running wild" malfunction to be precise. If the gun was dirty enough, the ammo too weak, the temperature low enough of the oil inside the gun to go sticky etc etc, could cause an unintentional magdump. I've read that just dropping a Sten gun could cause it to happen. With a 70 round mag on a PPsh it wouldn't be that fun to experience, with propably lots of unintentional teamkills.

Upvote 0
Simply put jams make sense in an rpg kinda game when you're alive long enough to do something to affect your guns reliability. In a game when people commonly live 30 seconds... all it does is introduce a random element.

And your gun randomly jamming... that's never going to be good for gameplay.

OK i agree. But...dam...it would be much more realistic you know. A function that comes along to enable the randomly malfunction when you are more than 5 minutes alive would be the better solution. But for example: On a 64 Slot it is true that you are 30 Seconds alive but if you play a 8 vs. 8 or vs. 6 or a 10 vs. 10 up to 12 vs. 12 you can stay much more longer on the Battlefield

Upvote 0
I agree with weapon malfunction, but not with a completely random one, it' ll be very annoying.

I would agree with malfunctions that happen, for example, when you are in a situation where the enemy knows where you are (firing at running enemies) or you are relatively quiet (for example when you're suppressing with an mg or, better, a fixed mg), not when you are entering a room with your smg, or when you are firing at a enemy who's also about to shoot.

Upvote 0
The chance of jamming would just be another property of your weapon (a cool, realistic way to differentiate/balance guns further), which you are aware of beforehand. When you enter a room whit a jam-happy gun, you know that jamming is a risk and you act on it (eg bring a side arm/teammate). You (or at least: 'I') wouldn't get mad/frustrated when I jam. It's bound to your gun's properties and the 'war gods' rolling the dice :p It creates an 'oh sh*t' moment (a bit like the 'weapon shot out of hand' created an 'oh sh*t' moment).

Furthermore, your weapon being dirty could increase the chance on jamming (you could for example be notified of your weapon's cleanliness at spawn, which could be random or linked to certain class slots/maps/etc... Your weapon could also get dirtier as you prone/crawl through dirt).

Anyway, imo.

Upvote 0
This has been discussed, what? about....oh, 1,000 times already since RO:OST went retail.

iirc, General consensus is/was that it would be about as popular as adding bullet spread to the ballistics. While random jamming would not necessarily be unrealistic, it would 'cause wtf moments and fits of rage when the gun jammed at the worst possible time. Very similar to the "I aimed directly at my 50 yard target and missed. This game sucks!" phenomenon that arm chair soldiers would experience if their guns were anything but lasers. (Look at the ballistics thread for clues as to how the 'paper world', real world and game world have trouble co-existing together).

Upvote 0
That is partially my point. Players want 'reality' in some aspects, but yet do not in others.

The ideas on this forum are all over the map, players complain they don't have as one put it, players want 'lasers', and then in the same thread want 'accurate' representation of the weapons real or imagined, yet a true aspect of war, the random chance aspect they want no part of. Stuff goes wrong, Mr. Murphy is out there, what ever can go wrong, will go wrong, and usually at the most inopportune time.

If your goal is to stay 'alive' 5 min in game you are doing something wrong to start with.

Upvote 0
I personally wouldn't mind jams/misfires. It would give revolvers a moderate advantage (if a round misfires you just pull the trigger again to try the next one, assuming you haven't already fired all the bullets in the cylinder). It would also be more authentic (there are plenty of stories out there in the real world of modern-day ammunition of rounds that misfired--imagine how high the rates of dud ammunition would be if, like the Soviets, your backs were to the wall!) and give you the impression that you're in a hard-fought war without the luxury of time for good quality control of ammunition.

If your goal is to stay 'alive' 5 min in game you are doing something wrong to start with.

How big were the death rates in the conflicts emulated by HoS, anyway? Soldiers who survive in combat without crippling injuries for more than 5 minutes on the front are certainly a lot more useful to the motherland/fatherland than they are dead. Staying alive in this game also has benefits.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think just bringing back the feature where your weapon would be dropped when you get hit in the hand/arm would probably satiate the desire for random weapon uselessness. I remember back when we had this feature there were plenty of times I could not go back for my weapon as it got shot out of my hands while I crossed a dangerous spot of open ground.

It gave me good feelings to have to salvage a weapon from time to time.

Upvote 0

The early PPsH was notorious for jams as the initial drum magazines malfunctioned. The MP-40 if mag was inserted wrong or stressed on (held)jammed weapon. The MG-34 would have extractor problems and double feed on prolonged bursts, the DP-28 would pull rim from fired cartridge leaving remaining case still in barrel, next round would not feed.

Because RO 2 is a competitive game for clans.

Upvote 0
Because RO 2 is a competitive game for clans.

Don't make me laugh.

DOTA 2 is one of the games played worldwide at a high competitive level, with a well-established professional player pool and significant amounts of prize money. Nevertheless, it's a game that incorporates a substantial amount of random chance: critical chance, miss chance, bash chance, neutral creep spawn chance, mjollnir chance, all of which can go critically wrong or right at just the perfect moment. Doesn't really seem to bother the pro players.

Jams won't ruin competitive RO2 play. At least not any more than the ideosyncracies of Countdown Mode already do.

That said, jams still take too much developer effort to implement in my opinion.

Upvote 0