• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Weapon Jam / grenade return

yep agree with the opinions on grenade toss backs.

but would still love to have weapon jams modeled in game.
it's a fact of warfare and it happens really often.

having a very well maintained firearm would lower the chance of a jam. but there are many other factors which will cause jams. just to name a couple, faulty rounds/cyclic rate changes due to heat. in which it's actually realistically related to simply luck.

of course, a bolt action rifle should not be affected by most of the potential causes for a jam.

Upvote 0
The problem then would be the balance of weapons. Some weapons in the war jammed more often than others, for example, MP40 was a real jam machine compared to the Russian PPSH41, or the Gewehr 41 also jammed a lot compared to SVT40. Russians had more reliable weapons, no doubt.

based on a "realistic" game, jams should be modeled from the start and balance thought out later on.

and no doubt there's a huge difference in reliability across the various firearms.

Upvote 0
The problem then would be the balance of weapons. Some weapons in the war jammed more often than others, for example, MP40 was a real jam machine compared to the Russian PPSH41, or the Gewehr 41 also jammed a lot compared to SVT40. Russians had more reliable weapons, no doubt.

That's not entirely true. The G41 did jam a lot, but the 43 did not.

The MP40 was actually a wonderful weapon. There are several American soldiers who used them in favor of their Thompsons.

Anyway, the problem with the MP40 is in its magazine, as the rounds are single-stacked instead of double like in the STG for example. In colder temperatures it jammed frequently. That much is true. Otherwise it was very reliable. Obviously Russia wasn't the best place to use it.

Also, drum magazines have a tendency to jam as well, even on the PPSH. If I recall correctly, this is why Thompsons were not issued with drums in the military. Though there of course might have been some exceptions that I'm unaware of.

My point is, that many weapons will not preform well in certain situations. I think it would be difficult to emulate that.

I'd like to see the ability to "fall" on grenades. The other day I went to throw a grenade and something blew up close by, shaking the screen and I bounced the grenade off a nearby wall. It wasn't cooked, and I wanted to crawl on it, hoping to save a few people around me. It didn't work. But I think it would be a cool idea to be able to do this to save people that were a fair distance back.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
fall on a grenade - interesting idea.
but that will probably involve a fair bit of changes to game codes, or probably engine tweaks.

drum mags are a pain to load that's for sure.(single springs)
those single spring drums also tend to feed too quickly when it's fully compressed(full mag) ~ causing double feeding

i don't know how true(havent done any research), i heard that the ppsh uses a drum that requires winding? literally turning the spring to increase the tension. sound a lil ridiculous to me :s

Upvote 0