• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

wait for additional crewmembers-alternative

Capt.Marion

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 12, 2006
Beantown
We all know the wonderful "Wait for Additional Crewmembers" slogan we see every time we jump in a tank.

And we all know the even better 30 second pause because there's one guy AFK in spawn not in a tank.

I'm not suggesting getting rid of this. Conversely, I believe that this is actually kind of realistic. I'm a mechanic. All internal engines up until the 1970s require a warmup period, for the engine block to warm up enough. Even the engine in my truck, with only 230 cubic inches of displacement (3.77 litres) won't run unless you give it its 3 minutes to get warmed up to temperature.

If should realistically take the PzKpfw V Tiger I a LOT longer to warm up , with its 23 litres of displacement. Additionally, it wouldn't run very well at all until it is warmed up enough, especially if you tried to put it in gear and go. Same goes for the Diesel in the T34/85, et cetera.

So, what I am suggesting is keep this 30-sec pause when you get in a tank and fire it up for the first time. Add a 20-second extra sound clip between the starting clip and the idling clip that has it running kind of rough while it warms up. And add a temp gauge so you can see when it is warmed up enough.

End result: you still have the delay so you have time for teammates to get in your tank, but it is more realistic.

Sounds like a good way to making an in-game mechanic less gamey.. I like it.

I believe historically tanker crews would probably keep their engines running before hand for a while if they 'expected' to do an engagement.. especially in the cold. (Someone definitely correct me though if I'm wrong)

I was wondering about that. I can't imagine trying to get a tank started in the Russian winter... Guess I'll have to do some reading up on the design of the Maybach engines and the big V-12 diesel in the T34

Upvote 0
Agree, and more needs to be fixed.
I'd love to see proper torque curves, noticable automatic double clutching (or are tanks gearboxes synchronized?) and clutch control when accelerating from stand still or uphill starts.
This will make the vehicles sound more believable aswell, instead of tanks with Formula 1 style automated manual transmissions.

Hidden & Dangerous 2 has this and it works brilliantly, it makes vehicular control a tad more difficult but at the same time more intuitive due to the realistic handling.

The problem now is mainly a sound issue, tanks are still very quiet for players outside the tank.
Hopefully this will all be reconsidered and thoroughly thought through for the next generation Tripwire Interactive combined arms tactical shooters.
I was wondering about that. I can't imagine trying to get a tank started in the Russian winter... Guess I'll have to do some reading up on the design of the Maybach engines and the big V-12 diesel in the T34
They'd probably try to mix the lubricants and add petrol to the diesel fuel for lower detonation points.
Diesel isn't really a low temperature fuel as it starts to form flakes, but I'm sure the Soviets had diesel preheaters.
At least, that's what I would have done... :D

I don't believe the compression of the diesel engines back than were THAT much higher compared to otto engines.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Alot of tanks had flywheels to crank the engine.
If the sound of accelerating flywheels and the effects of an engine start (engine sound effect, light smoke puffs) could be added in a possible next generation combined arms title it would make the whole tank thing more believeable aswell.

Yeah, for sound effects and visual effects, it wouldn't hurt to take a page out of the Flight-Sim book.

What do you mean by "flywheels" used to crank the engine?

Do you mean like a pony-start system (using a smaller engine to turn the bigger engine over and start it)?

Upvote 0
Yeah, for sound effects and visual effects, it wouldn't hurt to take a page out of the Flight-Sim book.

What do you mean by "flywheels" used to crank the engine?

Do you mean like a pony-start system (using a smaller engine to turn the bigger engine over and start it)?
Well, it's more or less the same but instead you use manpower to accelerate a flywheel through planetary gearing.
When the flywheel is at full speed it has enough momentum to start the engine.
All you have to do is to engage the clutch between the flywheel and the engine and it start. (and turning on the ignition and fuel pump prior to spinning the flywheel of course)

Here's a YouTube clip:
YouTube - "The Roar of the Tiger" Maybach Engine

Last edited:
Upvote 0