• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

VNTE_HoaLu

IceFuse

Aug 13, 2017
Hi All!

I made this account a while ago in anticipation of posting my map info earlier but here I am now.

Introducing a fictional battle taking place in North Vietnam (as the U.S. did not directly involve itself with a major invasion into North Vietnam to avoid bringing Chinese military into the fighting), in the Ancient Capital of Hoa Lu in Ninh Binh Province.
The US stages a mission with a small force to secure this tourist location and make an effort to rescue any Republic of Vietnam sympathizers and political prisoners in the measure.
The PAVN are notified by spies of the planned invasion in advance and implement a lock-down on all travel and issue a defensive action measure and put all civilians to work on building defenses, by which for some who refused to work or were suspected of treachery, were neutralized or "sent away.
--------
[IMAGES IMAGES IMAGES]
https://imgur.com/a/Q3SCr

VNTE-HoaLu is a Territories map that is out of the normal boundaries of the real war meant to be implemented for Multiplayer Campaign (if Tripwire chooses to involve North Vietnam). I still have to add to it, but it is currently a 5 point map that is a nigh-geographically definite recreation of a real world location. 1:1.
The caps of A - E (to G?) are as follows:

(A) Town - The US descend from the mountain onto capturing the small town sitting by the Sao Khe River. They either approach from the jungle or flank around through the open timber field.

(B) Gateway - The Gateway of Hoa Lu sits across from a river with dense vegetation on both sides. The US and PAVN may pick off targets while sitting in pockets of the riverbanks or try to control the advance on the fortified bridge.

(C) Market Road - This once vibrant marketplace for tourists and grocers has been violently thrown into chaos after an overwhelming PAVN military force came in response to invasion threats. It is a maze of overturned merchandise and hastily made defenses. One can discover that some things went wrong along the way...

(D) Dugout - One of the more sophisticated defenses built in anticipation of the attack, the US can choose to either traverse the route adjacent to Point C or trudge through across the river bank to this fort.

(E FINAL) Den Vua Dinh Tien Hoang - One of the two temples and palaces built to honor notable Kings of ancient Vietnam. King Tien Hoang who founded the Dinh dynasty was the first Emperor of a unified Vietnam after defeating the Chinese colony occupying the North. The US attackers must brave the dense and claustrophobic compound of the palace or flank around the marsh or the mud field to secure the temple courtyard.

-------

OTHER POINTS I may add if file size and other factors allow it:

(F) Swamp - A transition point to G in a wooded swamp area.

(G FINAL) Mountain Camp - A labor camp for mining limestone with a deep dark cave where light fails to distinguish friend or foe and shots in the dark are targets to be fired back at.
-------

What do you think? I have been working on this first map of mine ever since the summer and learning the Editor, which brings me to what I need to ask to get this map online: What are the steps I need to take to publish this map and bring the file size from 762mb to something that I know is smaller when I bake and compress it, and what are the steps that I might be missing as a new map maker? Right now I don't know how to get my .roe from MyGames/Unpublished folder to Published so I can test what it's like out-of-Editor.
So far I have done:

Manual Map Distance Culling
Lighting/LM Importance Volume
One spawn for each team
Objective A - E transition
Ladder Volumes
NX Forcefield (idk if it's working correctly)
Out of Bounds distances

I am also submitting this to the Mapping contest so I am cramming the necessary changes in there too, as I think there are few. Thanks for viewing my post and giving the advice I need in advance!

Reactions: nymets1104
Lemonater47;n2306126 said:
On the top toolbar of the SDK the button furthest to the right. Should be an image of an arrow and flame. That's the cook button. That will Cook it and put it in published. Make sure you have built paths and lighting first of course.

Yeah, i'm aware of that button and process. My paths are up-to-date, but my lighting is broken on BSPs on my map so I am baking those now and then I assume that it'll be completely up-to-date. The other problem is draw batches and I don't know if that's related to lighting but what are they and is the fix re-building lighting with the BSPs? Along with this when I do attempt to bake the map it only offers to bake two packages - ENV_Rocks and the UH1H Helicopter (paraphrasing), so when I go to my folders it's only a Static Mesh folder with these packages in it.

Upvote 0
IceFuse;n2306140 said:
Yeah, i'm aware of that button and process. My paths are up-to-date, but my lighting is broken on BSPs on my map so I am baking those now and then I assume that it'll be completely up-to-date. The other problem is draw batches and I don't know if that's related to lighting but what are they and is the fix re-building lighting with the BSPs? Along with this when I do attempt to bake the map it only offers to bake two packages - ENV_Rocks and the UH1H Helicopter (paraphrasing), so when I go to my folders it's only a Static Mesh folder with these packages in it.

Map is now baked! ...but my character can't spawn in and the game won't start after I open it and load it. 762 -> 280 mbs sounds enough to keep adding to it all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Make sure map is properly named VNTE- or VNSU-
Looking at your last post it seems maybe you saved some stock upks? "ENV_Rocks and the UH1H Helicopter " Dont save these and if you did, delete them from your unpublished folder. When you click the cook button and it asks you to save, check NO then the cooking process should begin. A command window will open and normally takes less than a minute to cook. The map should then appear in the same directory as you saved it in unpublished, but will now also be in Published Folder.

Once in Game, use the command "open VNTE-mapname" to launch the map.

Also, please join us on the modding discord, you will get much more help there:
https://discord.gg/J3HgYH

Upvote 0