• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Virtual Reality - Do it before Praydog does

gamert1

• Jan 6, 2010
    Hey there Tripwire!!

TL : DR : Unreal Engine 5 is getting a universal VR plugin, please bake it into your game instead so the experience is superior.

Personal Preamble
    First off, i've been playing killing floor since your mod on unreal 2004, huddling all my friends around local LAN doing our best to literally just beat the game ONE time... evolving into me besting it, then the excitement when killing floor 2 came out and the same thing... roping in all my friends into playing this new version of the game we played for hundreds of hours... and WOW even from your first release of just the Paris map in alpha i was hooked playing a thousand hours through its lifetime.
    Eventually I dabbled in Virtual Reality and again was amazed that tripwire had graced me with Killing Floor 2 Incursion. While it simply felt like a tech demo for what killing floor could be in VR... i still enjoyed the novelty.

Eventually i left killing floor and moved onto other games, always wishing for some sort of revitalization to bring me back, a modder in the VR community teased a global virtual reality injecter for ALL games on the Unreal Engine 5 and i was SO excited for the potential until i looked and saw KF2 was UE3.

NOW YOU ARE GRACING THE WORLD WITH KILLING FLOOR 3... which undoudtedly is using UNREAL ENGINE 5 because your team always pushes the fidelity to its limits (remember PHYSX FLEX?) which means that Praydogs universal plugin will automatically inject his very well done virtual reality option. So far it allows users to play most of the resident evil series in VR (which is fun and well made).

PLEASE TRIP WIRE PLEASE!!! PLEAAAASSEEEE INCLUDE VIRTUAL REALITY IN YOUR RELEASE!!!

There would be nothing better than a completely baked in system rather then a cobbled together system to make it work. You guys have already dabbled in VR, you are literally the best developers out there for pushing the limits AND creating your own unique solutions to existing problems... YOU ARE THE ONE!

Sincerely,
    GaMeRT1
    Your 19 year fan.

Reactions: Fala7er
    It was a real shame KF2 couldn't be included because it was UE3!, played incursion but like you said it seems more like a tech demo and is nothing like KF2. Hopefully it will get a proper VR adaptation that maybe enable cross-play with pancake gamers, the interactions would be awesome to see! but that feature should be optional.

Upvote 0
    I guess VR is still a pretty niche market within the gaming community. I was truly hoping Half Life Alyx would be the one game to usher a whole new gaming era... but it didn't really happen as far as I know. I suppose it comes from a pretty vicious circle : people don't buy VR games because the gear is still way too expensive for most. And thus devs won't try making ambitious VR experiences because too little players are even able to play such games.

I'd be delighted and very pleasantly surprised if we get a proper multiplayer VR game anytime soon.

Upvote 0
    I guess VR is still a pretty niche market within the gaming community. I was truly hoping Half Life Alyx would be the one game to usher a whole new gaming era... but it didn't really happen as far as I know. I suppose it comes from a pretty vicious circle : people don't buy VR games because the gear is still way too expensive for most. And thus devs won't try making ambitious VR experiences because too little players are even able to play such games.

I'd be delighted and very pleasantly surprised if we get a proper multiplayer VR game anytime soon.
    Thing is, the entire framework for vr is already built into UE that's why the praydog mod works so well with many games but of course some mechanics need to be adapted to work properly for vr and not be just a floating camera.

KF3 will be with us for a long run, if they don't want to include vr as a feature is ok, but at least releasing some mod + the option to create servers for this mode would be awesome.

Reactions: Aleflippy
    Upvote 0