• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Vietnamese sniper rifle's scopes

Spillo2382

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Italy
When i'm sniping with the mosin or the SVD, i've always an hard time to be precise and confortable with those 2 scopes, (i'm the only one?) for 2 different reasons. Yes, autenticity is important, but gameplay too, so i'd like to suggest a couple of compromise.

- The SVD has a lot of black marks, and a little black arrow in the middle (http://imgur.com/a/5XpD2 the image below) and is confusing when you try to follow a target, or when you want to flick-shot a target, why don't make the arrow red? (poor exaple http://imgur.com/a/darOs).

- The mosin, i like the scope, is clear, but it's smaller, compared to the other ones (- mosin - http://imgur.com/a/iZdBi - and XM-21 - http://imgur.com/a/QqlC7) i feel like i want to go near to him with my head, but i can't. i like the way it is, but i want to be more close to him to be more comfortable at sniping with.

What do you guys think about this? Do you snipe better with US sniper's scopes? because I do!

Last edited:
The PU scope is pretty small compared to the more modern Redfield on the American rifles.

However, the PSO-1 on the SVD does have a toggle-able illuminated reticle in game! The binding is 'Multiply' on the numpad by default.

In ROInput.ini:

Code:
Bindings=(Name="Multiply",Command="Toggle_Illumination")

This will make the entire reticle glow red.

Personally, I would not want to see us change the reticle to something else for gameplay reasons. The old Japanese rifles took some getting used to, too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
dibbler67;n2293927 said:
The PU scope is pretty small compared to the more modern Redfield on the American rifles.

However, the PSO-1 on the SVD does have a toggle-able illuminated reticle in game! The binding is 'Multiply' on the numpad by default.

In ROInput.ini:

Code:
Bindings=(Name="Multiply",Command="Toggle_Illumination")

This will make the entire reticle glow red.

Personally, I would not want to see us change the reticle to something else for gameplay reasons. The old Japanese rifles took some getting used to, too.
WHAT?!

You just blew my mind with that illuminated reticle information.

And yes, please keep the scopes as authentic as possible.

The only change I'd really like to see to scopes would just be the sensitivity on them, it feels too low to me. A scoped sensitivity slider would be nice, or at the very least put the sensitivity closer to what it was in RO2/RS.

Upvote 0
They have done a very good job of authentically replicating the reticles of the various optics in game.
Zero for the posp on the SVD @ the given distance, will be the tip of the uppermost chevron. granted it's not the cleanest reticle to use for quick target aquisition, but I still managed quite a few clean kills of running & obscured targets @ estimated distances on hamburger hill. The first time Hill 937 appeared in the closed Beta's, alot more of the hill to the east of D was useable, i was able to really stretch out the range of the SVD, wish they'd include more of those hills into the playable area again ;) it was good fun

I too had no idea that they included the PSO's illumination function ingame :), suppose i shouldn't be surprised, given the attention to detail they gave modelling the unique operation of the Automatic Ranging Telescope on the M-21 etc.
I wonder if the 3-9x redifield accurange, on the M40 will ever get any functionality, i.e adjustable magnification, or even the range finding tombstone function? it uniquely had reticles in both the 1st & 2nd focal plane.

Upvote 0
AATTV;n2293979 said:
They have done a very good job of authentically replicating the reticles of the various optics in game.
Zero for the posp on the SVD @ the given distance, will be the tip of the uppermost chevron. granted it's not the cleanest reticle to use for quick target aquisition, but I still managed quite a few clean kills of running & obscured targets @ estimated distances on hamburger hill. The first time Hill 937 appeared in the closed Beta's, alot more of the hill to the east of D was useable, i was able to really stretch out the range of the SVD, wish they'd include more of those hills into the playable area again ;) it was good fun

I too had no idea that they included the PSO's illumination function ingame :), suppose i shouldn't be surprised, given the attention to detail they gave modelling the unique operation of the Automatic Ranging Telescope on the M-21 etc.
I wonder if the 3-9x redifield accurange, on the M40 will ever get any functionality, i.e adjustable magnification, or even the range finding tombstone function? it uniquely had reticles in both the 1st & 2nd focal plane.

The Accurange is modeled. Variable zoom is bound to 'Add' and 'Subtract' on the numpad. We were running out of keys :D

Reactions: AATTV
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
dibbler67;n2294005 said:
The Accurange is modeled. Variable zoom is bound to 'Add' and 'Subtract' on the numpad. We were running out of keys :D

sooo awesome, I hadn't realised this at all either ;) really looking forward to giving that M40 a run @ the next opportunity.

Spillo2382;n2294016 said:
Thanks, didn't see that post, but... I still don't understand how the zoom works, and why with the max zoom, i need too shoot below the feet of the farthest target, to hit it. But i don 't want to waste your time man. Don't worry :)

Basically the magnification is moving relative to the scopes elevation, forget about trying to use full magnification as this setting is for out around 800-1000 yards, (i dont remember).
Zoom in until the marks on the reticle, fit a dimension on the intended target i.e 60",30",15" etc , then put the cross hair on the intended point of impact & pull the trigger.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Spillo2382;n2294176 said:
Ive just tried the illumination for the SVD's PSO-1, it does't work for me, i tried to rebind it, but nothing. Can somebody else test this please?

I tried briefly to use the illuminated reticle & couldn't get it to turn on, though was at a kind of hectic time in the match so didn't pursue it further, checking bindings etc.
kind of inconsequential though, until we start seeing night & twillight maps.

Can confirm the magnification & ranging tombstone of the redfield 3-9x accurange/M40, is definitely dialing up & down as intended. Its great.

Upvote 0
Spillo2382;n2294706 said:
I tried a lot, in the firing range, but i think is not working, is something that nobody has tested yet. The illumination for the PSO-1 is a very cool detail, so please, look into it guys, no rush.

I'm not sure why the binding has stopped working - but meanwhile you can hit F3 to bring up the console and enter "ToggleIllumination".

I've added a screenshot from the last beta.

https://imgur.com/a/XFQYt

Last edited:
Upvote 0