• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Video showing Crysis' awesome physics!

True, but since we are talking about engines... imo CryTek is atm the probably best shooter engine, especially concerning gameplay possibilities. UE3, from what I've seen so far, is just a visually beefed up UE2.5. It doesn't look as if it would open up new possibilities. CryTek offers better terrain, better vegetation and nice physics. Unfortunately, as spraduke said, it's too demanding for todays computers.

Upvote 0
True, but since we are talking about engines... imo CryTek is atm the probably best shooter engine, especially concerning gameplay possibilities. UE3, from what I've seen so far, is just a visually beefed up UE2.5. It doesn't look as if it would open up new possibilities. CryTek offers better terrain, better vegetation and nice physics. Unfortunately, as spraduke said, it's too demanding for todays computers.
Pfft, I am impressed with the UE3 engine, it can do a lot more than UE2.5 while looking excellent and above all else running well on contemporary hardware in fact damn well and even goes well on older mid range machines. The amount of games using it is astounding, also it can do destructive environments well, have you played Stranglehold??? Gameplay wise it may be a rather ordinary actioner but you absolutely destroy the environments in it.

The Crysis engine is more like a next gen graphics vehicle than a really usable engine at present.

Upvote 0
No, so far I only played Bioshock, R6 Vegas and UT3 Demo. R6 and UT3 didn't impress me much even on higher settings. Just same old same old with more polys and new shaders. Bioshock looked great due to great texture art and the very thought through styling. Other than that I haven't seen anything in these three examples that couldn't be done with UE2.5.

Never played Stranglehold, but I thought it uses a severly modified UE3, the new features it offers are actually from the added 3rd party software packages it uses. Crysis brings it all in the box. I have to try Stranglehold though.

Upvote 0