• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

TWI Stalingrad maps - abandoned or delayed

[40-1]MORD

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 21, 2011
London
www.40-1.net
I remember Yoshiro saying a long time ago that TWI`s had a few Stalingrad maps in different state of development. I`m very curious about them as in general I love Stalingrad theme. Playing Campaign made me think - what map should have been put as default in Traktorniy sector? For sure not Apartments as it doesn`t make sense. Am I right thinking that it had to be Tractor Factory? If yes it would be totally awesome to see this map added to HoS one day. And what about other 2-3 planned maps? I think that Barashka wasn`t one of them.
Could we have the devs word here?
If TWI decided to abandon these projects maybe they would be so kind to pass them to community? I`m sure our talented mappers would make a good use of it.

Attachments

• 2013-03-28_00001.jpg
    2013-03-28_00001.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 0
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 0
If i recall correctly the maps were put on hold due to the rather negative reactions to other official TWI maps. I'm guess these unfinished maps were similar enough in nature to other stock maps for TWI to be hesitant about really devoting dev time to them.

It would be nice to get at least a cursory glance at them, so the community can decide if they like them or not. I mean TWI thought the MC would never go anywhere and that people wouldn't like it, and look at it now - an unfinished and somewhat buggy version had enough success to pull even these usually divided forums together in support of it.

Upvote 0
I would really really love to see Slyks Tractorworks map be ported to RO2.

That map was on a 1:1 scale, but even more so was one of the best combinations of combined arms in RO1 in my opinion.

Most combined arms maps were tank maps with infantry thrown in (ogledow, arad). Or they were infantry maps with tanks thrown in (leningrad, koningsplatz).

Tractorworks needed balancing refinements and tweaking but it offered real indoor combat, while the outside of the buildings being reigned by tanks. Its broad size gave loads of freedom in attacking routes as well.

If that map would make it into RO2 I would be a really happy camper.

Upvote 0
I would love to see tractor works for RO2 as well I hope someone remakes it or even makes or remakes some of the huge city maps so we fight from building to building and through streets (kind of like Berlin), I would of thought tractor works or a big city map would of came sooner, though I can't wait to see what's next that people make.

Upvote 0
We have several maps for RO 2 in various stages of development. Currently all of them are shelved as we focus on Rising Storm, but we will be revisiting them later.

But at the end of the day, some maps will never make it (mostly due to us not liking how they play). Others were shelved earlier due to community feedback in what they want to see out of new maps.

Upvote 0
i doubt i've read a statement on these forums i disagree with more. :confused:
What makes you disagree? Im fairly sceptical about how much additional, developer-led content and fixes we will see from TWI for RO2 as there's no money in it.
TBH I'm probably talking in more general terms than just a set of maps, i.e. extra vehicles, new weapons etc

Last edited:
Upvote 0
We have several maps for RO 2 in various stages of development. Currently all of them are shelved as we focus on Rising Storm, but we will be revisiting them later.

But at the end of the day, some maps will never make it (mostly due to us not liking how they play). Others were shelved earlier due to community feedback in what they want to see out of new maps.

1. Assuming that some of the maps we'll never see were set in Stalingrad, could you tell us which maps (and their locations, of course) didn't work out and why? It might save some hapless custom mappers from making the same mistakes.

2. With regards to maps that were shelved, I'm guessing this was because the community was clamoring for larger, combined arms type maps?

Upvote 0
What makes you disagree? Im fairly sceptical about how much additional, developer-led content and fixes we will see from TWI for RO2 as there's no money in it.
now you're saying something else alltogether. you first said, "I would imagine that RS will be the focus of development and that RO2 will die a slow death. Thye just seem really pissed off with the whole affair and keen to move on so I dont expect too much." to me that says that #1, you think that RO2 will die. i and quite a few others will disagree. not only won't it die, it will get better. #2, that you think that TWI wants to wash their hands of RO2 and be done with it. nothing could be further from truth. they want it to have a great resurgence, just like the rest of us. it is how they make money. by their games selling more copies. not by throwing in the towel.

Upvote 0
1. Assuming that some of the maps we'll never see were set in Stalingrad, could you tell us which maps (and their locations, of course) didn't work out and why? It might save some hapless custom mappers from making the same mistakes.

2. With regards to maps that were shelved, I'm guessing this was because the community was clamoring for larger, combined arms type maps?

1) This could be hard to do.

2) This is a large part of it.

Upvote 0