• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Turning Foliage on Low... Cheap?

How does designing games mechanics channel "positive behavior"? Somewhere in this oxymoron sentence is a valid point.
Left 4 Dead or America's Army are good examples here - they teach you to communicate, to cover one another, to help each other, act like a team, cooperate. There even was a news depicting a young man who preformed first aid action, saving somebody's life as an effect. He was asked how he knew what to do. He told them: "I learnt it in America's Army".

Feel free to post whatever. But in my opinion all this higher moral crap is an unsolvable angle of any kind of solution. Keep the focus on the real problem.
It is probably unsolvable in this particular situation, but if you make functional graphics - the same for everybody - you will remove the ability to exploit changes in graphics (save for "illegal", as not included in-game by the game, methods of manipulation).

Another way of solving this issue would be by server-side enforcing certain settings. I know Ducky and Mike were doing something in this particular field (foliage).

Mechanics as such are completely different. Remember MG operator being able to shoot while all you could see was the tip of his machine gun? Or the fact that bullets come from the tip of your head, making some people to lean just enough to not "overexpose" themselves? To change this we'd have to redo the way shooting and camera are both working now. This is also tied somehow to what your avatar is doing (3rd person) and what you're doing (1st person) because often what you do and what your avatar does is inconsistent graphically.

Last edited:
Upvote 0