• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
  • Weve updated the Tripwire Privacy Notice under our Policies to be clearer about our use of customer information to come in line with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) rules that come into force today (25th May 2018). The following are highlights of our changes:

We've incorporated the relevant concepts from the GDPR including joining the EU and Swiss Privacy Shield framework. We've added explanations for why and how Tripwire processes customer data and the types of data that we process, as well as information about your data protection rights.

For more information about our privacy practices, please review the new Privacy Policy found here: https://tripwireinteractive.com/#/privacy-notice

Trees are hollow

Luckless

FNG / Fresh Meat
Aug 28, 2011
Same reason that everything is hollow. They're made up of polygons, which are two dimensional constructs projected into a three dimensional mathematical space.

They have a height, and width, but no depth. So if you want a square box? You stick six square polygons together, and put a texture on them. Boom, you have a box. However, nothing is actually inside that box.

And to make things even more interesting, you often only have a texture visible from one direction. That is, from outside you will see the box, but if you stuck your head inside, the box would disappear as you would see right through it.

The bigger question is, how are you able to look at it from that angle?

u-s-e-r

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 24, 2010
I think the question is rather why are there textures inside the tree at all? Sound like bad map optimizing to me..

Last edited:

Lobo

FNG / Fresh Meat
May 11, 2011
Georgia
Probably the same reason that those 2 are arguing in chat.
Both are empty, hollow, in need of some love.:D

Can you walk through trees also? Would be interesting if you could, but I do believe that collision stops you from doing that.

NoxNoctum

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jun 15, 2007
Haha this cracked me up :D

But why are there textures inside the tree? Seems like that's a waste of resources...

Not that I know anything about programming tho.

Qweets

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jul 13, 2007
I think the question is rather why are there textures inside the tree at all? Sound like bad map optimizing to me..
because I believe with objects like that the texture is just mirrored on both sides regardless, I don't think they could do it any other way. If so I doubt it would be much of a performance gain since there are only a few trees around.

Apparition

FNG / Fresh Meat
Aug 31, 2011
I believe that textures are also memory bound and once loaded won't impact performance if you were to remove the interior tree texture.

Leaving the tree hollow does improve performance though, as the GPU only needs to draw a 'face'.

Lobo

FNG / Fresh Meat
May 11, 2011
Georgia
because I believe with objects like that the texture is just mirrored on both sides regardless, I don't think they could do it any other way. If so I doubt it would be much of a performance gain since there are only a few trees around.
Amazing that OP has never seen this before, it is in every game that I have ever played.

IT JUST IS, it is not an error, if you want to know more about it do some research on the subject.

Qweets

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jul 13, 2007
yeah, I think he was just making a joke really.. If not then yeah it's kinda odd, I've seen this in like... every game, ever.

u-s-e-r

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 24, 2010
At least on some game engines all textures that cant be seen by players should be removed to reduce the impact on performance, very basic mapping knowledge, although I dont know about Unreal Engine

Mangley

FNG / Fresh Meat
Aug 7, 2011
It's because the tree models have flat branches that need to be seen from both sides. So the entire tree texture can be seen from both sides of the polygons. It's referred to as 'nocull', when the back/inward facing sides of polygons are allowed to render and are not 'culled' from view like normal geometry and models.

Nocull is pretty much always used on things like plants, bushes and trees to save on the polycount.

Last edited:

Flyynt

FNG / Fresh Meat
Aug 25, 2011
Austin, Texas
To reduce weight on the server.

It is one of many weight reduction optimizations you will typically see in server based games. In recent years weight has been a major issue, especially with the rise of virtualization and an increase in power costs.