• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Too many SMG's and Semi-auto?

Too many SMG's and Semi-auto?

• Yes, it's a problem

Votes: 294 54.3%
  • No, it's realistic, STFU

Votes: 141 26.1%
  • Too many SMG's, Semi are fine.

Votes: 67 12.4%
  • Too many semis, SMG's are fine.

Votes: 39 7.2%

• Total voters
Bolt is actually my go-to at the moment. While semi-autos offer a higer RoF and SMGs are the up-close kings, I enjoy the bolt game a lot more. It helps me conserve ammo, makes me a lot more careful and conservative with my shots, and helps me keep from giving away my position.

I'm determined to play rifleman till I'm unstoppable at it.

A stubborn soldier is a dead soldier. ;) JK. I prefer bolts too, but many times I find that no one wants to play the squad leader so I am stuck with smg/semi-auto rifle.

Upvote 0
Yes, the balance is all to cock. 90% of players should be armed with bolt-action rifles and grenades. That's it.

You can be sure less than 90% of the guys at the front line during assaults were using bolt action rifles. SMG's were massively used in Stalingrad, especially by the Russians. Which makes perfect sense, considering it's the kind of environment they were designed for. So I think the SMG numbers are about right.

Now the large number of semi-automatics isn't so easy to defend :eek:

Upvote 0
In reality the only ones generaly using the MP40 was the paratroopers, platoon and squad leaders and tankers until later in the war. The Soviets on the other hand employed dedicated SMG-squads early. But ofc this is a game and so it has to be balanced out a bit, I think they should cut down the smgs by halv, likewise with the elite riflemen.

Upvote 0
Agreed. I think the rifle ratio should be upped a bit for Full Realism.

Exactly i agree.

The rifle ratio should be improved in realism to improve balance and realism in real life.

I really cant see many guys with mp40's these guns where for certain class and rank where as the kar was all over as it was a solid rifle same goes with the mosin nagant.

Upvote 0
The actual fighting in Stalingrad is far more advantageous to submachine gunners when they had to fight in the cramped quarters of crumbling buildings within the city. I'm not sure on any actual numbers of the rifle to SMG ratio, but it was probably higher than standard combat situations on the Eastern Front. The problem is situational. On Fallen Heroes, a rifle is practically required for most of the map. However, if you get down into those sewers, you can get messed up quick without an SMG. The outside portion of Silo really favors rifles, but once you get inside the SMG takes over. The carbine I am sure produces some rage, but it really was the optimum weapon for the time. Unfortunately, the Russian's couldn't perfect the SVT-40, and the minor reliability advantages of the Mosin Nagant kept it the main rifle throughout the war. They both have their place. I feel that there are far fewer carbines on most servers, so I believe they are more under control. I don't think I have EVER been killed by a K98, it feels like all German's run around with MP40's. But I am into realism, and I almost exclusively use a Nagant, ignoring the assault class.

Upvote 0
While I agree they should be more bolts in the battles Im happy that we have as many as we have.I love the fact that RO isn't a spray n prey game for the most part.I love playing the bolt while it has its disadvantages in close quarters vs SMG's.

That doesn't stop me from leading the charge into close quarters to hip fire and use the bayonet!.In fact I love the challenge not all bolts should stay back and snipe many times its just bodies needed in the cap not their guns.

As for ranged encounters med/to long range I find the bolt does just fine.Many semi auto's will not take careful aim and just start firing away.With quick reflexes and careful movement and a steady aim I can win many duals with them.The SMG's are easy to dispatch at theses ranges.

In the right hands a bolt can still be a very effective weapon.I laugh when the new guys say " I cant kill anything with this stupid gun" just takes alot of practice and some patients;)

Upvote 0
I've been playing this game for the past six hours, and got killed by bolt actions a total of maybe four times.

All the rest were MP40s (this was the majority), a few PPsh41s (though these were 1/3rd the number of MP40s), ramboing MG34 users, and the rare semi-auto.

Something is rotten in the city of Stalingrad.

Upvote 0
The balance is fine to me.... riflemen always had a disadvantage in close quarters combat maps, such as Barracks & Apartments, that's why those maps have more SMG's, MG's and Semi-Auto's.......

But then if you throw those classes on a larger map similar to RO1's Arad, Kaukasus or Konigsplatz, where there's a lot of open area, the riflemen begin to dominate..... that's how they work.

Battles that happen inside tight areas like buildings are geared for SMG's and Machine Guns..... open areas like fields are geared for riflemen and marksmen.

When in an open area, SMG classes usually need to rely on riflemen to take out targets they can't accurately hit from a distance and keep them covered from anybody coming up too close, then move up..... inside buildings, riflemen rely on SMG classes to take the lead while they support..... or the riflemen stay back from a distance and take out enemies for the assault classes.

Either that or riflemen can go on offense, but you need several riflemen to support one another as you can't expect a single rifleman to cap an objective and hold back several enemies at once.... at least not often and not for very long.

As others have said, there will be more maps that are designed to be larger and compliment riflemen's capabilities, that also expose the disadvantages assault/SMG classes have.

As it currently stands, the maps provided thus far in the beta have been geared towards faster paced combat which is suited more for assaulting/SMG

It's not an issue unless you are bad and cannot play with bolt action rifles. I am starting to like bolt action a lot more than SMG or Semi-autos.

Agreed.... back in RO1 I kind of dispised having to be stuck as a rifleman, where if there was any other class avaiable, I'd take it in a heartbeat.... now in RO2, I'm selecting the rifleman often, even when other classes are available.

Last edited:
Upvote 0