• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Things going stagnant?

Skillful, sure. Boring? Definitely.

^ exactly.

the first couple weeks after the new update, the game was still tough, regardless of the new insta=kill headshot ability. people had to learn how to deal with a new specimen, how to use the new weapons effectively, how to play new stock maps. a month or two later and people have learned how to play the game to maximize their newly developed skills, and of course the game has gotten boring because of that.

the way to make the game less boring isn't to go around having to "nerf" weapons or perks, but find ways to add more challenging aspects to the game. in all honesty, i was feeling the game was getting easy before the update and all the new stuff. it was called level5 zerker with a chainsaw....no problem dealing with FP and scrakes :cool: all the new stuff added a little more difficulty for about a month or two, plus some of the new stuff was just simple fun to use, but once veteran players figured out how to get good, the difficulty just isn't there anymore.

hopefully the new update will provide us with added challenge.

i think nano mentioned it already, but the new custom survival thing in DA2 was great. if that was added for KF, dear lord this game would see some more difficulty added.

Upvote 0
i think nano mentioned it already, but the new custom survival thing in DA2 was great. if that was added for KF, dear lord this game would see some more difficulty added.

Dest says that the Custom Survial mod they're running is an Beta of his next update. It's only gonna get better. It'll be nice to see DA2 get some playtime.

Upvote 0
I wasn't saying there AREN'T new maps/mutators, but most of them are only a slight change at best, and often, are much WORSE than the normal game.

Agreed, theres only a handful of great quality custom content which are actually enjoyable more than once.

Just a while back the ONLY custom map I thought was the same quality as the official maps was Crash, and guess what, they made it one of the core maps. Ofc that was only based on the maps I had played so far, I didnt even know about IceBreaker until it won the competition, otherwise it might have been my fav.

I have to admit that I havent tried any other custom mutators than the Versus mod and sadly it didnt work at the time lol.. but I just dont find custom skin/model mutators that appealing or "god-mode" mutators like the one with vehicles (or have I mistaken?). Does anyone know an actual good custom mutator besides the upcoming vip and versus mod?

false.

it's called a raging FP or Scrake on suicidal when you've got no Crossbow to take them out, in other words when you've either got wannabe "pros" or just a lack of team players.

Eh, what does it take, like 3 headshots to take out the scrake and a couple more for fleshpound on Suicidal? Thats hardly a challenge since M14 has 20 ammo in a clip.

For a lvl6 ss with m14 suicidal becomes as difficulty as normal is for a lvl6 firebug, Id dare to say. By that I mean, theyd have about the same chance of surviving. Because, a firebug would be screwed on hard difficulty when a scrake or fleshpound comes along but ss could take any enemy out on any difficulty without having to reload his clip.. On normal difficulty lvl6 firebug could probably take out fleshpounds too without dying, and might actually have some ammo left before the end of wave.

EDIT: Oh and one more thing about "spicing up the KF experience". You could set up some personal goals so to speak, like Ive done a few times. Kinda like unofficial achievements lol. Basically, I thought it would be fun trying to defeat a long game with knife only, and i did (on normal, patty killed with katana tho). Next step would be doing it on hard difficulty, but thats prolly impossible. But anyway, you could think up some other personal achievements by yourself and see if you can beat them :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ugh, don't start ANOTHER Sharpshooter argument, please.

In reply to the OP, well, I'm still at all Perks 2+ but under level 4 myself. So no problem with boredom here.

I'd say resetting your Perks, but that's no fun to get it again...

I'd say grief pe- Nevermind. That's for other games..

Try getting Pubbers to work together?

Uhm...

I don't know what to say, mate. Go try out some other games for the meanwhile? :(

Upvote 0
EDIT: Oh and one more thing about "spicing up the KF experience". You could set up some personal goals so to speak, like Ive done a few times. Kinda like unofficial achievements lol. Basically, I thought it would be fun trying to defeat a long game with knife only, and i did (on normal, patty killed with katana tho). Next step would be doing it on hard difficulty, but thats prolly impossible. But anyway, you could think up some other personal achievements by yourself and see if you can beat them :D

How did you knife fleshpounds and scrakes?

Upvote 0
How did you knife fleshpounds and scrakes?

Well Im a lvl 6 Berserker so scrakes die with like 3-4 strong attacks (altfire) in the head/neck, and if you are fast enough they dont even get a chance to hit you.

Fleshpounds are a bigger problem tho, because they require more hits obviously and if enraged can get you killed pretty quickly.. But the trick is, you dont enrage them, lol. Easiest way would be hiding behind a corner and attacking the right spot every time he comes by and then running away behind another corner so he wont enrage. For some reason they need an "eye contact" in order to rage. If, however, you fail and the fleshpound gets mad, just run away and try to weld some doors behind you and eventually he will calm down without ever cathing you. Berserker is quick after all, but sadly FP is slightly quicker in normal :(

Tho, if you just have a full armor, you can defeat a raging fleshpound with a knife on normal pretty easily (if you just altfire at the neck). They arent that strong in a solo game. You should try it out, its really not as hard as you could think.

Upvote 0
1,892 player peak today. Not bad, not great, but not stagnating just yet. Bearing in mind how long this budget game has been on the shelves, it's still hanging in there.

I'm sure TW has more plans for KF, just give them a chance.

Play another game or mix up KF with mutators, maps, etc. There are plenty to choose from. Even more awesome is the prospect of porting Ballistic Weapons to retail.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I realize it's part of the aging process for the game, but has anyone else noticed how quickly everything's gone stagnant in KF right now?

I don't know how to explain it, really. I guess the old thrill has died down. Me and most of my friends have maxed out our perks and aside from achievement hunting and training newbies (Two things we don't particularly like...), there's not much else to do.

Even mixing up the perks everyone uses, playing on different levels, and trying different spots can only keep things fresh for so long. Since Christmas, in my circle of friends, KF playtime has dropped from at least an hour every night to MAYBE an hour a week if we're lucky.

I guess it feels like the same-old-same-old. Unless we play on low-enough difficulties to not have a challenge, most "Fun" perk setups (All Zerkers, All Demos, ect) are painfully punished by a wipeout. So it ends up going back the the same few perks winning at the same few spots on the same maps.

And the mod community seems to be in a slump. We haven't found many good maps since the contest ended. DA2 (Which looked very promising) turned out to be very buggy and after the bugs were reported and everything, most forums about the mod seemed to disappear completely and the mod itself seems to have fallen off the face of the earth. Very few actual "Mods" that shake things up are out, either.

And TWI is, understandably, focusing on RO:HoS right now after having poured their hearts out into the last patch.

So it's all kind of stale. The community hasn't changed much, the levels haven't changed much, and no exciting new mods are out. Anyone else feel this way? And where does everyone think things are gonna go from here?

TWI needs to create a more random playing environment.

Currently waves progress at exactly identical paste.
No, I'm not just talking about same monsters coming out eventually in every wave, but also about those monsters coming at exactly identical times.
Like a squad of 4 or 5 stalkers (haven't played in a while, can't remember :p) coming at 5th wave, I think.Or 2 FPs coming at the very start of 7th wave (in long hard).

Basically monster spawns are fixed and not randomized, so after a while you know which monster will come at which point in each wave.
I think you know what I'm talking about.

It really takes away a ton of replayability value, which KF has in theory.

Also, even though the maps are really big in KF and there are many spots to fight the monsters in theory, at least 90% of the map space is unused, simply because game doesn't force players to fight at different spots.

You have enough time to buy your things at get back to your favourite spot on pretty much any map (except for farm maybe) before the wave starts.
Different trader spots each wave are more like a gimmick at a current gamestate.
They don't make people fight at different map places at all, which I assume was their intention.

So each game becomes a simple "Bunker up in 1 place for the whole 10 waves and hopefully win" fest.
Replayability is very limited.
There's a TON of potential there in KF

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Eh, what does it take, like 3 headshots to take out the scrake and a couple more for fleshpound on Suicidal? Thats hardly a challenge since M14 has 20 ammo in a clip.

Level6 SS vs. Scrake on Suicidal = 6 or 7 headshots with the EBR

Level6 SS vs. FP on Suicidal = 15-20 rounds at the MINIMUM, assuming all 20 shots are headshots

when you say "like" that implies an approximation and tells me you don't actually play suicidal much.....i'll make some videos to show how exactly how many shots it takes for each ZED. granted, that's perfection which 99% of players never achieve. watching a spammer pump a full mag of EBR into the FP and then getting crushed by him is quite hilarious.

although yes, the EBR is overpowered nonetheless. just not as overpowered as you make it out to be, and not the ultimate cause for the game going stagnant which is the purpose of the topic.

Greg is right, the daily player peak has been decreasing over the last month or two.

Upvote 0
when you say "like" that implies an approximation and tells me you don't actually play suicidal much....

Depends what "much" means. Ive been very busy with my job lately and moving to a new appartment having to use a slow mobile internet, no I havent played much suicidal lately, in fact I havent even played KF seriously in weeks (by seriously I mean actually trying to survive, with 300+ ping its kinda pointless).

So yeah I think its kinda understandible I got mixed up with hard/suicidal. I guess it was hard where scrakes died in 3 headshots but then again might be it wasnt 6 man game cant remember anymore. Id test it first but like I said, high ping makes headshotting kinda impossible.

But still, it doesnt change my point.

OH and Ive played with m14 like 2 times EVER so... Im usually berserker on suicidal

Last edited:
Upvote 0
and like i said, i acknowledge your point and agree with you that the EBR is overpowered for it's purpose in the game, which currently is as a SS's weapon. now, if the current EBR was assigned to the commando, considering it is in reality a battle rifle, it would make a lot more sense and we'd see a lot less complaining about it in its current state. again, the weapon is not what is faulty, just it's placement.

i just think the "omg" newness feeling towards the last batch of free content has worn off for a large portion of players, which has hurt activity. only way to remedy that is, well, more content, which TW has stated that it will come....EVENTUALLY lol

i think as we've all learned, a couple new weapons, maps and maybe a perk or speciman may be great for short term appeasement but not for stimulating longterm growth.

Upvote 0
Level6 SS vs. Scrake on Suicidal = 6 or 7 headshots with the EBR

Level6 SS vs. FP on Suicidal = 15-20 rounds at the MINIMUM, assuming all 20 shots are headshots

The number of shots it takes to drop an enemy on any level would differ drastically depending on the number of players currently in game. A suicidal FP with 2 players would drop faster than one with 6.

Upvote 0
true. my estimations are probably equivalent more to solo, or maybe with 2 total players. come to think of it, i seriously can't remember ever having played with a level6 SS on a full suicidal server who actually took down a FP spamming an EBR, unless the FP was already worn down on health.

i might fire up that human AI mutator to go find out

Upvote 0
Over the summer I played a lot (several hours a night), but that was when things were new to me. Now that I've got Lv. 6 on a couple of perks, things have died down and it's not so much fun.

I play an hour or two here or there, but it's just not as fun anymore. None of the new maps really blow my skirt up, and there's no new content on the horizon.

I don't think even new content can bring things out of this slump unless it's truly tantamount.

Upvote 0