• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

They need to make the HRG Locust a tier 2 weapon and give it better upgrades

Bender the Offender

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 16, 2023
I know this is a long shot since there's only like 1 or 2 updates left for this game, but I really wish they didn't downgrade the HRG Locust so bad. I'm speaking from a perspective that only saw videos of how awesome it was originally, but couldn't play the game because my graphics card burnt out. Now they downgraded the Locust so bad it's now only does half damage of what it originally did. That would be like if you take any of the demolitionist's grenade weapons (which usually do around 375 damage) and now only have them do 190 damage. What's worse was that they made this weapon from a tier 2 to now a tier 4. Like just damn, it truly is only half as good as it use to be. Guess they want the original seeker six to look like a great gun in comparison.

I wish Tripwire if they felt to need to balance this weapon, only reduce it's base damage, but not remove two full upgrades. Instead they should bring this weapon back down to a tier 2 weapon and provide upgrades that brings it back to it's original glory so the HRG Locust can look something like this.

base (tier 2) - 45 explosion damage at 6 weight / explosion radius 2 meters / insect damage 25
tier 3 - 1.25x upgrade = 56 explosion damage at 7 weight / explosion radius increased to 2.5 meters / insect damage increased to 30
tier 4 - 1.5x upgrade = 68 explosion damage at 8 weight / explosion radius increased to 2.75 meters / insect damage increased to 35
tier 5 - 1.78x upgrade = 80 explosion damage at 9 weight / explosion radius increased to 3 meters / insect damage increased to 40

This I think is much more fair since not only does it cost more money to bring it back to it's original glory, but it now will weigh as much as a RPG if you want it that strong. Instead of it's current state where it's only good at killing trash zeds now.

... It's still a ridiculously powerful weapon and the nerf was more than warranted. In fact, it's almost baffling to think it ever releases in the state it was in originally. I doubt Tripwire even playtested that thing, and if they did... Then it's even worse, considering they didn't see what was very obviously wrong.

The Locust just does everything RIGHT. Let's sum it all up :

-Fairly cheap for its immense power (it used to be 900 dosh... So pretty much a T2.5 weapon)
-"Fire and forget" type of weapon. You could fire a salvo of rockets at a group of zeds and simply watch them die as you began reloading or redeploying elsewhere.
-A ZED MELTER. Even tougher zeds could be brought down with a single mag. And weaker zeds would just collapse as soon as they walked into the cloud. Pretty much nothing posed any threat to the Surv.
==> I believe, but I'm not certain, that multiple rockets did stack back in the day... meaning that a volley of 2-3 rockets could chew through even tougher zeds super damn fast.
-It has a LOT of reserve ammo too, meaning you can easily spam the hell out of it all wave long. Hell, you could even go 2-3 waves without purchasing any extra ammo.
-Zero self damage too, so you could simply fire at will and defeat any zed that would come close to you.
-It also has lock-on capabilities... for some reason? Not that you truly need that, but it made blasting far away zeds pretty damn easy too. Making the gun efficient at all ranges.

All of this for only 900 dosh... And for the perk that's supposed to be the weaker, unspecialized one. It desperately begged for a nerf. Which I believe managed to put it in a more reasonable place by increasing its price (and possibly removing stacking?). Notice that it still keeps most of the pros I mentioned right above. It's still a pretty damn powerful weapon for how easy and safe it is to use.

Upvote 0
All of this for only 900 dosh... And for the perk that's supposed to be the weaker, unspecialized one. It desperately begged for a nerf. Which I believe managed to put it in a more reasonable place by increasing its price (and possibly removing stacking?). Notice that it still keeps most of the pros I mentioned right above. It's still a pretty damn powerful weapon for how easy and safe it is to use.

Survivalist is suppose to be weaker when using other classes weapons, not it's own. That's one time the Survivalist actually should shine. That's like saying "What? Sharpshooter can't just pick up this Firebug weapon and be better at the using the weapon than the Firebug? Clearly Firebug is too OP and needs a nerf!"

This community really has a thing where if a weapon actually looks competent next to their fave weapons, then it's "TOO OP!" and needs to be reduced to dog$hit level in order to be "balanced". For example apparently according to the devs, the Zed MK3 was called "too OP" by the community and got nerfed. You know what I felt when I used the weapon? An actual competent big machine gun type weapon instead of being stuck with crap like the MG3 aka reskinned Stoner minus upgrade. So now Survivalists is back to being the perk that's using off perk weapons, but can get XP from them. The actual Survivalist arsenal is dog$hit again that no one touches when going off perk has better weapons.

Hell speaking of it, I wouldn't mind the Zed MK3 actually having it's rockets stored as an alt fire similar to the HRG Vampire instead of having it automatically fire a rocket after every 10 rounds.

Crappy weapons and still relying on original weapons for top tier zed killing weapons is the main reason I'm really tempted to get this game (again!) specifically for steam so I can access the community mod weapons and just have fun using them instead of always having to worry about the community crying "Too OP!". Something sounds appealing at the idea of spending 5000+ dosh on a weapon you know is going to make the official ones feel not needed. Probably because I've been with the gaming era from the beginning and in the 90s and 2000s is was common to have that endgame weapon and feel satisfied you got a hold of it. Unfortunately I can't do that because getting the game from Epic is the equivalent of having the game on console.

Upvote 0
This community really has a thing where if a weapon actually looks competent next to their fave weapons, then it's "TOO OP!" and needs to be reduced to dog$hit level in order to be "balanced". For example apparently according to the devs, the Zed MK3 was called "too OP" by the community and got nerfed. You know what I felt when I used the weapon? An actual competent big machine gun type weapon instead of being stuck with crap like the MG3 aka reskinned Stoner minus upgrade. So now Survivalists is back to being the perk that's using off perk weapons, but can get XP from them. The actual Survivalist arsenal is dog$hit again that no one touches when going off perk has better weapons.
Funny that you say so when I mostly see people still crying over the Zerk and Medic nerfs, but ok. If anything, this community knows jack**** about game design OR balance and simply wish to steamroll the game without any kind of challenge.

But I think you've pretty much shown exactly the type of player you are, and we've had a million others like you on those forums along the years. Sorry, but I won't waste any more time discussing with someone using the exact same arguments we've heard over and over again, refuted just as many times, only to realize that people care more about being right rather than having a real debate between players of various skills, some of which having played since Early Access.

Upvote 0
The next (and purportedly last) upcoming update is supposed to be a bugfix/QoL thing at least from my understanding, so I'd be surprised if they actually updated this thing.

As far as I'm concerned, though, the Locust should be left alone. It knows what it did. That thing needs an entire rework because it was flawed at a conceptual level.
Pre-patch it was a lane-gobbling monstrosity on its own, got more effective when stacked with other players, and ate literally everything for lunch. Post-nerf it only completely destroys trash without having to aim and still lets you juggle incaps on HVTs. Taking the Locust and the Railgun is one of the best loadouts you can throw on Survivalist since it tackles literally everything in the game; anything that the Locust doesn't immediately kill gets the zap. 2-3 reload-cancelled headshots and move on.

Survivalist is suppose to be weaker when using other classes weapons, not it's own.
??

Survivalist didn't even have its own weapons until late 2017, around a full year after it was released; it was introduced to the main game with the entire point being that it could use every other perks' weapons "equally well" (although that really translated to "equally badly" because lmao 15% damage boost, no penetration, no headshot boosts, etc.). The first Survivalist-"exclusive" weapon was the Freezethrower, which was (and is still) OP if you use it on a team with any modicum of coordination because it hands a freeze--the most powerful incap in the game which was previously restricted to 6 grenades on Sharpshooter--to a weapon with hundreds of reserve ammo units as an on-demand equippable to anyone willing to use it, including Medic.
So that set the tone nicely for things to come. That was part of the onset for the game's downward slide towards heavy casualization.

Survivalist's guns are all on Survivalist because 1) for some reason Survivalist became the dumping ground for almost all the weapons with built-in incaps, and 2) giving them to a legitimate perk with their own assorted on-perk boosts would be excessive. For example, imagine if Commando got on-perk bonuses for the Killerwatt. Or Demo got on-perk boosts for the Locust.

Survivalist even gets its own nod with weapons that are better on it than the actual intended perks because of stat block abuse, like the Frost Fang and Blast Brawlers. So I'm not sure where the above line of reasoning came from.

This community really has a thing where if a weapon actually looks competent next to their fave weapons, then it's "TOO OP!" and needs to be reduced to dog$hit level in order to be "balanced". For example apparently according to the devs, the Zed MK3 was called "too OP" by the community and got nerfed.
IDK about the Zed III, I really didn't play enough with it to form an opinion because I didn't care since it looked like yet another spam weapon to me (and that assessment wasn't wrong), but the Locust was one of the dumbest things ever introduced to this game.

What's left of this community--at least on these boards--has a problem with weapons that do basically everything without really needing any sort of aim, gamesense, etc. to squeeze all that power out of. While power creep is unfortunately now a fact of life that will permanently stain this game, pre-patch Locust was one of the worst examples of it. (Again: it's now just dumb as opposed to being really, really dumb from before.)
To think that a generalist loadout like Locust/Rail exists in the same game as Marksman M14/SPX is pretty hilarious given the skill differential needed for Locust/Rail vs. M14.

That thing was so good in the beta when it was introduced that other classes were off-perking it in stacks to race each other to farm the most kills, because it being a Survivalist weapon meant that every class could cheese it equally well. So Berserkers who couldn't play melee well were using it to clear lanes, ditto for Sharpshooters that were using it to clear trash because they couldn't use their on-perk weapons well, Medics were using it to clear lanes and contribute to damage because it was better at trash clearing than any Medic weapon, and so forth.
On top of that, the visual clutter from the Locust is so ridiculous when combined with the incap spam that you could literally chase headshot perks out of lanes with it alone; anything that doesn't die is getting knocked around, stumbled, etc. instead of remaining with straight aggro pull, so good luck being consistent with that. That's just what happens when you make a gun that inflicts three different damage types (looping explosive damage type, bleed, poison) and multiple incaps (stumble, knockdown, bleed, poison dance) just from shooting vaguely into something's zip code, as if every shot from it was a miniature Destroyer of Worlds bomb.

It was dumb. Even other players in this forum justifiably raised a stink about it, and I don't have all day to link every complaint about it from the subreddit, the Steam forums, or the Discord, but searching "locust" in those will give you more negatives than positives. Pretty much every major content creator noted how easy it was to use for how good it was.
The takeaway is that fewer AoE win-with-no-real-thought-required-on-the-highest-difficulty weapons would be appreciated in future installments, thanks TWI.

I believe, but I'm not certain, that multiple rockets did stack back in the day... meaning that a volley of 2-3 rockets could chew through even tougher zeds super damn fast.
You are correct. Not only do rocket blasts stack from the same gun, the explosion cloud damage-over-time also stacks when other players use it, because unlike other weapons only the bleed DoT gets overwritten when an instance is reapplied. So when six players are spamming it on the same spot you have multitudes of clouds looping their own explosive damage types on anything caught in the blast(s).
It's not like a Firebug's fire damage where two or more players shooting means they overwrite each other's damage, for lack of a better way of phrasing it (i.e. the last person to hit a Zed with flames means that the old fire no longer applies and a new one is applied instead); that does happen with the bleed and I think the poison but not with the explosive clouds.

Also, Zeds touching each other when "infected" by a Locust DoT spreads that DoT to other Zeds, similarly to Firebug's Napalm skill...except it's coming from a non-Firebug weapon that anyone can pick up.

When the game's main skill gap is based around headshotting and you introduce bodyspam weapons like the Locust, people are justifiably going to complain.

Reactions: Aleflippy
Upvote 0
But I think you've pretty much shown exactly the type of player you are, and we've had a million others like you on those forums along the years. Sorry, but I won't waste any more time discussing with someone using the exact same arguments we've heard over and over again, refuted just as many times, only to realize that people care more about being right rather than having a real debate between players of various skills, some of which having played since Early Access.
I just played a 6 player game suicidal game and guess what? I unloading all 6 of my rockets into a scrake and the scrake just walked through all of them still alive and dandy. That's "TOO OP" to you? A dog$hit weapon that can't kill a single scrake in under 1 magazine? Tell me, how much RPG rounds does it take you to kill a scrake? Willing to bet it's not 6 or 7. I honestly felt I was stronger using a Tommy Gun with the SWAT than I was using the dog$hit tier Locust that you guys wanted the gun to be. Seriously all the Survivalist weapons are complete dog$hit now all thanks to you guys.

Upvote 0
Pre-patch it was a lane-gobbling monstrosity on its own, got more effective when stacked with other players, and ate literally everything for lunch. Post-nerf it only completely destroys trash without having to aim and still lets you juggle incaps on HVTs. Taking the Locust and the Railgun is one of the best loadouts you can throw on Survivalist since it tackles literally everything in the game; anything that the Locust doesn't immediately kill gets the zap. 2-3 reload-cancelled headshots and move on.

??

Survivalist didn't even have its own weapons until late 2017, around a full year after it was released; it was introduced to the main game with the entire point being that it could use every other perks' weapons "equally well" (although that really translated to "equally badly" because lmao 15% damage boost, no penetration, no headshot boosts, etc.). The first Survivalist-"exclusive" weapon was the Freezethrower, which was (and is still) OP if you use it on a team with any modicum of coordination because it hands a freeze--the most powerful incap in the game which was previously restricted to 6 grenades on Sharpshooter--to a weapon with hundreds of reserve ammo units as an on-demand equippable to anyone willing to use it, including Medic.
So that set the tone nicely for things to come. That was part of the onset for the game's downward slide towards heavy casualization.

Survivalist's guns are all on Survivalist because 1) for some reason Survivalist became the dumping ground for almost all the weapons with built-in incaps, and 2) giving them to a legitimate perk with their own assorted on-perk boosts would be excessive. For example, imagine if Commando got on-perk bonuses for the Killerwatt. Or Demo got on-perk boosts for the Locust.

Survivalist even gets its own nod with weapons that are better on it than the actual intended perks because of stat block abuse, like the Frost Fang and Blast Brawlers. So I'm not sure where the above line of reasoning came from.

IDK about the Zed III, I really didn't play enough with it to form an opinion because I didn't care since it looked like yet another spam weapon to me (and that assessment wasn't wrong), but the Locust was one of the dumbest things ever introduced to this game.

What's left of this community--at least on these boards--has a problem with weapons that do basically everything without really needing any sort of aim, gamesense, etc. to squeeze all that power out of. While power creep is unfortunately now a fact of life that will permanently stain this game, pre-patch Locust was one of the worst examples of it. (Again: it's now just dumb as opposed to being really, really dumb from before.)
To think that a generalist loadout like Locust/Rail exists in the same game as Marksman M14/SPX is pretty hilarious given the skill differential needed for Locust/Rail vs. M14.

That thing was so good in the beta when it was introduced that other classes were off-perking it in stacks to race each other to farm the most kills, because it being a Survivalist weapon meant that every class could cheese it equally well. So Berserkers who couldn't play melee well were using it to clear lanes, ditto for Sharpshooters that were using it to clear trash because they couldn't use their on-perk weapons well, Medics were using it to clear lanes and contribute to damage because it was better at trash clearing than any Medic weapon, and so forth.
On top of that, the visual clutter from the Locust is so ridiculous when combined with the incap spam that you could literally chase headshot perks out of lanes with it alone; anything that doesn't die is getting knocked around, stumbled, etc. instead of remaining with straight aggro pull, so good luck being consistent with that. That's just what happens when you make a gun that inflicts three different damage types (looping explosive damage type, bleed, poison) and multiple incaps (stumble, knockdown, bleed, poison dance) just from shooting vaguely into something's zip code, as if every shot from it was a miniature Destroyer of Worlds bomb.

It was dumb. Even other players in this forum justifiably raised a stink about it, and I don't have all day to link every complaint about it from the subreddit, the Steam forums, or the Discord, but searching "locust" in those will give you more negatives than positives. Pretty much every major content creator noted how easy it was to use for how good it was.
The takeaway is that fewer AoE win-with-no-real-thought-required-on-the-highest-difficulty weapons would be appreciated in future installments, thanks TWI.

You are correct. Not only do rocket blasts stack from the same gun, the explosion cloud damage-over-time also stacks when other players use it, because unlike other weapons only the bleed DoT gets overwritten when an instance is reapplied. So when six players are spamming it on the same spot you have multitudes of clouds looping their own explosive damage types on anything caught in the blast(s).
It's not like a Firebug's fire damage where two or more players shooting means they overwrite each other's damage, for lack of a better way of phrasing it (i.e. the last person to hit a Zed with flames means that the old fire no longer applies and a new one is applied instead); that does happen with the bleed and I think the poison but not with the explosive clouds.

Also, Zeds touching each other when "infected" by a Locust DoT spreads that DoT to other Zeds, similarly to Firebug's Napalm skill...except it's coming from a non-Firebug weapon that anyone can pick up.

When the game's main skill gap is based around headshotting and you introduce bodyspam weapons like the Locust, people are justifiably going to complain.
The current Locust I had gorefiends walk through that cloud still alive. I unloaded the entire 6 round magazine into a scrake and it was still alive and dandy. And those were only Suicidal multiplayer games! I'm pretty certain I had a easier time killing those enemies using a Tommy Gun and the G36C on the SWAT. Overpowered my ass. Pretty certain using the HX25 on Survivalist wasn't that piss ass weak. At the very least I don't recall the gorefiends surviving getting shot by that gun.

The freezethrower OP? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Thanks for the laugh there. Oh yeah, its so OP a large zed broke free the moment I manage to switch to another gun to try and shoot at it. I legit cannot keep any zeds frozen long enough to pull out another weapon to try and shoot at them. And guess what? That was one either hard or suicidal difficulty! Oh yeah so OP a single freeze grenade can outperform that gun even if you try spraying all 100 rounds into a enemy. It's so OP I got so pissed off unable to use any strategy with it I legit stopped using it and used the reducto ray instead. Now I can look forward to when the devs new "rework" aka harsh weakening of the reducto ray kicks in and both weapons become useless and the devs just trolling with incap weapons can can't actually incap unless you hold the trigger botton until you run of out ammo.

What's stat block abuse? Not everyone was on this forum from day one and knows what slang your using in regards to this game.

I literally played my last couple of games using Survivalists and all the custom weapons for the class and you know what was the most OP weapon I had during my gameplay? The fking HRG bombadier! Yeah so OP when another classes weapon (that only cost 500 dosh and weighs 3!) is killing off the majority of the enemies for you then the supposed "TOO OP!" weapons.

And? The M16/HMtech-501 grenade rifles loadout paired with 2.5x magazine size exist. The Bombardier/half the Demo's weapons loadout exist. The high capacity fuel tank/ground fire/zed shrapnel/heat wave/pyromaniac skills all exist on one class. Incision/medic missile loadout exist on a class that gets bonuses for shooting teammates within the blast area of the enemies. I can go on and on and on. Oh and 5 round Blunderbuss >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> HRG Locust by a mile.

On top of that, the visual clutter from the Locust is so ridiculous when combined with the incap spam that you could literally chase headshot perks out of lanes with it alone; anything that doesn't die is getting knocked around, stumbled, etc.
So now the weapon does zero status effect (as I've used it and all enemies surviving the explosions and clouds, which is basically anything that's a medium zed and higher now) just continues attacking you or your teammate like nothing happened. Wow SO OVERPOWERED! Instead it's now the mine reconstructor that can do those kind of effects on enemies. Hell the HX25 (a starting weapon!) gets more of a reaction from enemies now.

Basically the demo, firebug and support's entire arsenal and half the medic's. Welcome to Killing Floor 2 after the point every class has more than just 4 weapons!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am trying my darndest to give you the benefit of the doubt instead of immediately writing you off, but you're not making that good faith assumption easy. As Aleflippy said, there's no shortage of bad actors who usually come in to gripe about their one specific thing, frequently flip the table at the regulars when any counterpoints are raised, then disappear never to be seen again.
I am hoping you are not one of those, which is why I'm taking the time to correct some of this, because a fair bit of your posting appears to come from a point of reference from lower difficulties and simply not having experienced enough of the game yet.

I did the Freezethrower spiel in the other thread so I'm not repeating myself here, but here we go on further derailing this train that was originally just about the Locust:

The current Locust I had gorefiends walk through that cloud still alive. I unloaded the entire 6 round magazine into a scrake and it was still alive and dandy. And those were only Suicidal multiplayer games!
Please note that I am concerned with 6P HoE Long games as the primary focal point of balancing, as anything that works on that difficulty will reliably work on lower difficulties, but not vice versa.

I can confirm from firsthand testing in 6P HoE that a Gorefiend which is unable to move out of the cloud (or falls down while in it) absolutely can die from one blast. The spreading panic effect is likely scattering them away from the cloud and thus the kill from one shot may not be guaranteed, but you can always follow that up with another shot; it's not like they're hitting you as they stagger around. And things lower or slower than the Gorefiend? They die.

Scrakes are resistant to explosive damage, which is the main damage type the Locust uses. The Scrake will still take some damage from the explosive DoT + bleed DoT + poison DoT and suffer from all of the incaps inflicted by the Locust such as panic and knockdown-chaining, so it is entirely possible to just cheese him to death. It won't be quick, but you can do a no-hitter. It just takes time (if not effort) and a lot of ammo.

You don't have to aim the Locust; it's only fair it have some weaknesses instead of what it used to have, which was "none." It was truly a do-it-all weapon on release, you just now need a corresponding anti-large dedicated weapon to go with your trash removal.

What's stat block abuse? Not everyone was on this forum from day one and knows what slang your using in regards to this game.
The extremely long story short is that due to how skill calculations work in this game, Survivalist gets huge boosts to multiperked weapons that are classified as melee even when they shouldn't be, such as the Frost Fang and the HRG Blast Brawlers.
Frost Fang is dumb in general because freeze, but the shotgun fists are well renowned for being bad on the non-Survivalist perks they were totally designed for while being quite good on the Survivalist.

I literally played my last couple of games using Survivalists and all the custom weapons for the class and you know what was the most OP weapon I had during my gameplay? The fking HRG bombadier! Yeah so OP when another classes weapon (that only cost 500 dosh and weighs 3!) is killing off the majority of the enemies for you then the supposed "TOO OP!" weapons.
The HRG Bombardier is renowned in Hell on Earth and CD servers for being both exceedingly annoying to other players and unequivocably terrible as Demo weapons go (and Demo has a lot of bad weapons, so that should say something). It regularly takes at least 2 shots to kill cysts, and sometimes doesn't even one-shot Crawlers, and that's when you use it on the perk that gives it appropriate offensive boosts. A full turret might kill a Quarter Pound if it lands nothing but direct hits, and there's a 2-shot margin for error on that.

That's assuming players don't kick you from the match because it's mostly used as a griefing tool, especially when dropping Destroyer of World nukes on top of other players that they literally cannot do anything about, aside from leaving the area or kicking you from the match (which they might be wary of doing, as the drones can teamkill other players if the person deploying them died and the drone explodes afterwards).

If the Bombardier is doing most of the carry in a 6P match as Survivalist...well, that says a lot of things, but none of those things are that the Bombardier is objectively good compared to the other weapons in the game. But remember that enemies are slower and have less HP on lower difficulties.

The M16/HMtech-501 grenade rifles loadout paired with 2.5x magazine size exist.
Neither of those weapons are very good in 6P Hell on Earth, outside of extremely niche situations that usually involve Commando being a bad pick. And the M16 is a meme at trash killing with the actual grenades on a per-shot basis; you don't even get any explosive radius boosts for it.

If you're using the 501's grenades to farm trash on a headshot perk, there's problems.

For the most part, Commando has many better options and all of them involve headshots.

half the Demo's weapons loadout exist.
Most of Demo's options are mid at best with some exceptions.

The RPG and C4 are his main good ones, the Blunderbuss can be OK, the Kaboomstick is stupid, and that's really about it. Anything else is playing trash-sweeper Demo, which is largely just a worse version of Firebug.

The high capacity fuel tank/ground fire/zed shrapnel/heat wave/pyromaniac skills all exist on one class.
Yes, Firebug is both OP and very easy. Yes, I have been saying that Firebug is OP and very easy for the last several years. Preaching to the choir here.

Incision/medic missile loadout exist on a class that gets bonuses for shooting teammates within the blast area of the enemies.
Medic missile is bad, both at actual medic work and at making you an effective killing machine, and it doesn't need to be in this game either (it probably says something that the main players I see using it in HoE games are Berserker mains). And yes, the Incision is excessive and I've said my piece on that in the past...but at least in the Incision's defense you have to aim with it. Medic's kinda silly in general.

Oh and 5 round Blunderbuss >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> HRG Locust by a mile.
These are two very different weapons for very different use cases on very different perks.

The Locust in its current iteration is an anti-trash spam weapon that devours entire walls of trash in exchange while not having to aim, much like Firebug. Unlike Firebug, it stacks. The tradeoff is that you don't get to kill Scrakes or FPs without a serious time-sink and thus making them rage.

I'm assuming you're referring to Blunderbuss on Support with Hi-Cap mags, which in theory is a good generalist weapon--and it would be!--if not for the incredibly obnoxious client/server issues with the projectiles making it unreliable in online games, combined with the lowered splash radius on Support. It still shoots blanks on occasion and sometimes shots just don't explode correctly.
That being said, spamming it against trash is missing half the point of the weapon, because its primary purpose in 6P HoE and CD games is using the alt-fire to dumpster larges in ~3 shots with occasional cannonballs against trash for thinning out mobs of extremely weak enemies like Crawler clusters. Even with its potential kill times, it doesn't have the ammo reserve to be your only weapon through the whole game, which is why it's frequently paired with the Seeker Six.

Basically the demo, firebug and support's entire arsenal and half the medic's. Welcome to Killing Floor 2 after the point every class has more than just 4 weapons!
Yes, I have been making the point that half of the game's perks and weapons don't punish bodyshot spam even on HoE for kind of a while now. That wasn't originally the case when this game launched, and I keep speaking up against that because I care.
The Locust being no longer good at everything doesn't make me sad because of how bloated and powerful it was, and for not having to headshot, at that. Anything that bumps the game towards needing headshots is a plus in my book.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am trying my darndest to give you the benefit of the doubt instead of immediately writing you off, but you're not making that good faith assumption easy. As Aleflippy said, there's no shortage of bad actors who usually come in to gripe about their one specific thing, frequently flip the table at the regulars when any counterpoints are raised, then disappear never to be seen again.
I am hoping you are not one of those, which is why I'm taking the time to correct some of this, because a fair bit of your posting appears to come from a point of reference from lower difficulties and simply not having experienced enough of the game yet.

I did the Freezethrower spiel in the other thread so I'm not repeating myself here, but here we go on further derailing this train that was originally just about the Locust:

Please note that I am concerned with 6P HoE Long games as the primary focal point of balancing, as anything that works on that difficulty will reliably work on lower difficulties, but not vice versa.

I can confirm from firsthand testing in 6P HoE that a Gorefiend which is unable to move out of the cloud (or falls down while in it) absolutely can die from one blast. The spreading panic effect is likely scattering them away from the cloud and thus the kill from one shot may not be guaranteed, but you can always follow that up with another shot; it's not like they're hitting you as they stagger around. And things lower or slower than the Gorefiend? They die.

Scrakes are resistant to explosive damage, which is the main damage type the Locust uses. The Scrake will still take some damage from the explosive DoT + bleed DoT + poison DoT and suffer from all of the incaps inflicted by the Locust such as panic and knockdown-chaining, so it is entirely possible to just cheese him to death. It won't be quick, but you can do a no-hitter. It just takes time (if not effort) and a lot of ammo.

You don't have to aim the Locust; it's only fair it have some weaknesses instead of what it used to have, which was "none." It was truly a do-it-all weapon on release, you just now need a corresponding anti-large dedicated weapon to go with your trash removal.

The extremely long story short is that due to how skill calculations work in this game, Survivalist gets huge boosts to multiperked weapons that are classified as melee even when they shouldn't be, such as the Frost Fang and the HRG Blast Brawlers.
Frost Fang is dumb in general because freeze, but the shotgun fists are well renowned for being bad on the non-Survivalist perks they were totally designed for while being quite good on the Survivalist.

The HRG Bombardier is renowned in Hell on Earth and CD servers for being both exceedingly annoying to other players and unequivocably terrible as Demo weapons go (and Demo has a lot of bad weapons, so that should say something). It regularly takes at least 2 shots to kill cysts, and sometimes doesn't even one-shot Crawlers, and that's when you use it on the perk that gives it appropriate offensive boosts. A full turret might kill a Quarter Pound if it lands nothing but direct hits, and there's a 2-shot margin for error on that.

That's assuming players don't kick you from the match because it's mostly used as a griefing tool, especially when dropping Destroyer of World nukes on top of other players that they literally cannot do anything about, aside from leaving the area or kicking you from the match (which they might be wary of doing, as the drones can teamkill other players if the person deploying them died and the drone explodes afterwards).

If the Bombardier is doing most of the carry in a 6P match as Survivalist...well, that says a lot of things, but none of those things are that the Bombardier is objectively good compared to the other weapons in the game. But remember that enemies are slower and have less HP on lower difficulties.

Neither of those weapons are very good in 6P Hell on Earth, outside of extremely niche situations that usually involve Commando being a bad pick. And the M16 is a meme at trash killing with the actual grenades on a per-shot basis; you don't even get any explosive radius boosts for it.

If you're using the 501's grenades to farm trash on a headshot perk, there's problems.

For the most part, Commando has many better options and all of them involve headshots.

Most of Demo's options are mid at best with some exceptions.

The RPG and C4 are his main good ones, the Blunderbuss can be OK, the Kaboomstick is stupid, and that's really about it. Anything else is playing trash-sweeper Demo, which is largely just a worse version of Firebug.

Yes, Firebug is both OP and very easy. Yes, I have been saying that Firebug is OP and very easy for the last several years. Preaching to the choir here.

Medic missile is bad, both at actual medic work and at making you an effective killing machine, and it doesn't need to be in this game either (it probably says something that the main players I see using it in HoE games are Berserker mains). And yes, the Incision is excessive and I've said my piece on that in the past...but at least in the Incision's defense you have to aim with it. Medic's kinda silly in general.

These are two very different weapons for very different use cases on very different perks.

The Locust in its current iteration is an anti-trash spam weapon that devours entire walls of trash in exchange while not having to aim, much like Firebug. Unlike Firebug, it stacks. The tradeoff is that you don't get to kill Scrakes or FPs without a serious time-sink and thus making them rage.

I'm assuming you're referring to Blunderbuss on Support with Hi-Cap mags, which in theory is a good generalist weapon--and it would be!--if not for the incredibly obnoxious client/server issues with the projectiles making it unreliable in online games, combined with the lowered splash radius on Support. It still shoots blanks on occasion and sometimes shots just don't explode correctly.
That being said, spamming it against trash is missing half the point of the weapon, because its primary purpose in 6P HoE and CD games is using the alt-fire to dumpster larges in ~3 shots with occasional cannonballs against trash for thinning out mobs of extremely weak enemies like Crawler clusters. Even with its potential kill times, it doesn't have the ammo reserve to be your only weapon through the whole game, which is why it's frequently paired with the Seeker Six.

Yes, I have been making the point that half of the game's perks and weapons don't punish bodyshot spam even on HoE for kind of a while now. That wasn't originally the case when this game launched, and I keep speaking up against that because I care.
The Locust being no longer good at everything doesn't make me sad because of how bloated and powerful it was, and for not having to headshot, at that. Anything that bumps the game towards needing headshots is a plus in my book.

Stop playing solo on heavily modded games! Either that or your teammates injured those gorefiends beforehand because I used that gun on the Elsium map where I can see I was the first person shooting at the zeds, and yes gorefiends can survive a single rocket from the HRG locust on suicidal.

The scrakes suffered ZERO ill effects from the HRG locusts when I was trying to get one off my teammate. Actually all the zeds from my gameplay pretty much had zero ill effects from the HRG locusts when they were raging and actually trying to kill people. Only time I saw them react in anyway was if they were in their calm state. The freaking medic darts probably have more of a effect on them now.

Okay you obviously don't know this, but the weapons have something called RELOAD that inconveniences players when they play actual legit games. Furthermore the HRG Bombardier also has something called knockback and stumble power. That's why the HRG Bombardier was outperforming the shitty Locust and the other garbage tier OG weapons of the Survivalists. Because the Bombardier was not only covering my back while I was reloading my guns, but the knockback on enemies was a life saver to get breathing space.

My actual 6 player game experience >>>>>>>> whatever dogsh!t memes the community is clobbering under their solo play, modded games

The two grenades weapons were EASILY (and it's not even a contest) the best weapons I used to kill large zeds.

If you're talking about the FN Fal, that's a massively overrated weapon and it speaks depth about community that they think the FN Fal is as strong on the Commando as it is on the Sharpshooter. When one class can do up to 2.5x headshot damage while the other does none. Furthermore, hmm see, the Fal fully upgraded will do 80 damage, while the M16 grenade launcher fully upgraded will do 644(!) damage. But oh wait, you also have to account for the added 1.5x explosion damage on fleshpounds and quarterpounds while the Fal does half damage on them. Putting the weapons actually at 40 damage (full upgrade) on fleshpounds and quarterpounds for the Fal while the fully upgraded M16 grenade launcher does 805(!) damage on them.

I'll save the complicated math for the HMtech-501's grenade, and just point out on base damage for the 501's rifle does 1410 damage before reloading vs the Fal's base damage of 1400 before reloading. Add in the magazine perks and 501 is increased to 3525 base damage vs the Fal's 1820 damage (since the community will always pick the 30% damage and reload speed over the 2.5x magazine size for that weapon). That's not including the medic grenade which is twice as powerful than a standard medic grenade.

Also you probably don't know this either, but both the M16 and HMtech-501 can do headshots too. Actually the HMtech-501 straight up have an iron sight that encourages precision shots. Oh but you go a head and think weapons that don't even do 100 damage a shot with the smallest magazine and ammo reserve in the class puts you in uber god tier.

Try actually using the Demo's other weapons besides kaboomstick, RPG and C4. You'll be amazed how much trying some strategy and versatile play style works. The moment I started using the Seal Squeal for example, I never looked back at the RPG or the C4 as it's basically a more accurate C4 that does 1875 base damage before having to reload that thing as oppose to the RPG's 900 damage and reload after every shot strategy. Then the ZedMK3 came in and I didn't have to prioritize my shots like I did with the RPG and C4 (you get all of 3 bombs!). Add in the bombardier and you never have to prioritize shots or worry about enemies back attacking you or attacking you while you have to reload.

I'm assuming you're referring to Blunderbuss on Support with Hi-Cap mags, which in theory is a good generalist weapon
I don't need to theorized, I used the 5 magazine Blunderbuss with Support and it's usefulness vs the crap Locucst is night and day. The Blunderbuss also has a alt fire you can use if you think the enemies are too close that the mortars might not explode.

That being said, spamming it against trash is missing half the point of the weapon, because its primary purpose in 6P HoE and CD games is using the alt-fire to dumpster larges in
Erm, okay if you and whatever players on HOE are using the gun on trash, I can already say you're using it wrong. Blunderbuss is easily my #1 weapon for big zeds as a support, and it's not even close for that class. Both the AA-12 and boomstick are mid weapons that the community wanks into oblivion and are not good at killing large zeds. As I've experimented with tons of Support weapons and found not only does the HZ12 outperform both weapons badly, but even the dragonsbreath does a better job at killing large zed than them.

Anything that bumps the game towards needing headshots is a plus in my book.
So basically you want every class besides gunslinger and sharpshooter to be dogsh!t. Got it.

Upvote 0
So that's a "no" on good faith dicussion. Fool me once, and all that.

I am not responding for your sake, but for the sake of others who may be reading these boards to ward off any potential misinformation. Consider this my final post on the matter in this thread, because this has gone so far off track from the original Locust dicussion that there's no point in pretending any more, and I don't further expect any decent conversation from you; this has become a long series of "whatabouts" and I would rather not deal with it.

Stop playing solo on heavily modded games!
My actual 6 player game experience >>>>>>>> whatever dogsh!t memes the community is clobbering under their solo play, modded games
I am of course not, nor are most of the people who would otherwise comment on this. In any sort of testing for kill shots/breakpoints/etc., that is done at six players (faked or otherwise) because otherwise that information would be incorrect. That much is bare minimum expectation at this point, for the exact reason that it's the highest possible reasonable difficulty and modifiers to test on for normal/vanilla game mechanics, not "modded" or with any sort of players above six.
But just because you don't see six players milling around doesn't mean that hasn't been taken into account. Some of us (myself included, when the mood strikes me) will play solo games faked to reflect accurate six-player conditions, but with just one person playing, solely for the added challenge.

That is the entire point of doing testing. Which is a lot more descriptive and helpful than than "nuh-uh!"; that is to say, the exact sort of thing you've been doing in the various threads you've posted in. So I'm going to put stock into those methods vs. someone lashing out on a public forum that is by all admissions playing on Suicidal while being as needlessly sarcastic to the other posters as possible.

Blithely ignoring every comment and suggestion from players who have been on this game for much longer than you, on conditions harder than you, who have done their homework, while you lash out at them and call everyone who doesn't agree with you "idiots" is not the wisest way to go about things on an established forum if you want actual good-faith responses. Consider that during your time on these boards and ignore it at your own risk.

The scrakes suffered ZERO ill effects from the HRG locusts when I was trying to get one off my teammate. Actually all the zeds from my gameplay pretty much had zero ill effects from the HRG locusts when they were raging and actually trying to kill people. Only time I saw them react in anyway was if they were in their calm state.
There are cooldowns to incap afflictions, as previously mentioned. If a Scrake gets hit by a Locust, flails about, then rages immediately after the panic incap wears off, then they have a few seconds where they cannot be hit with the same panic incap again so that they have a chance to fight back against the players. Otherwise, you could chain the same panic effect without recourse until they die, no matter how long it takes.

A Scrake that is raging is at its most vulnerable to incaps. Scrakes are in fact less vulnerable while they are in their calm state because of a well-known bug where they can technically block attacks but the blocking animation does not properly play.
For example, you could throw a freeze grenade at a Scrake, the Scrake "blocks" it without the animation showing up, and it will keep going through the freeze blast where it appears to completely ignore the freeze. They are incapable of blocking when raged and will go entirely on the offensive, meaning they cannot block incaps.
That is not to say they cannot be incapped while calm, but by definition they cannot ignore incaps in rage unless those incaps are on a cooldown.

Okay you obviously don't know this, but the weapons have something called RELOAD that inconveniences players when they play actual legit games. Furthermore the HRG Bombardier also has something called knockback and stumble power. That's why the HRG Bombardier was outperforming the shitty Locust and the other garbage tier OG weapons of the Survivalists. Because the Bombardier was not only covering my back while I was reloading my guns, but the knockback on enemies was a life saver to get breathing space.
The Bombardier, as I mentioned, effectively gets better the more you and your team have trouble at killing things.

That a weapon exists which covers for player weaknesses (and not that well, I might add) does not make it an objectively good weapon--and there are a lot of those weapons in this game--it makes it a crutch that largely exists to pad kill counts. As you and your teammates improve at the game, it becomes less useful because an automated turret that stumbles and rages large Zeds while making life miserable for precision perks is the antithesis of what legitimately good players use.

That is not to say it cannot be useful to some players, but to put it bluntly, it gets worse the more you improve at the game. It is only killing trash because the other players present are incapable of reliably doing so (or you are putting it at chokepoints to farm kills so others cannot do so as easily). Knockback on trash only matters when the team is doing such a bad job of actually killing trash that you need spam to keep them at bay.

If you're talking about the FN Fal, that's a massively overrated weapon and it speaks depth about community that they think the FN Fal is as strong on the Commando as it is on the Sharpshooter. When one class can do up to 2.5x headshot damage while the other does none. Furthermore, hmm see, the Fal fully upgraded will do 80 damage, while the M16 grenade launcher fully upgraded will do 644(!) damage. But oh wait, you also have to account for the added 1.5x explosion damage on fleshpounds and quarterpounds while the Fal does half damage on them. Putting the weapons actually at 40 damage (full upgrade) on fleshpounds and quarterpounds for the Fal while the fully upgraded M16 grenade launcher does 805(!) damage on them.
This entire line of reasoning is so misunderstood I don't even know where to start with it. But one thing I can guess at is that you don't practice headshots or takedowns, so let's break that down.

The FN FAL does rifle-type damage on both Commando and Sharpshooter--the same kind as the M14--rather than assault rifle damage. Rifle damage is a .75x multiplier against Fleshpounds rather than .5x multiplier (which only applies to assault rifles). The FAL also has an extremely rapid fire rate when full-auto is toggled. It is a significant addition to Commando's arsenal because it's a high-damage, high-RoF weapon, something Commando did not have outside of the brief period when the AK-12 used to be able to one-mag Fleshpounds.
In most cases it would be not that great; however, when used with "High Capacity Magazines" and "Hollow Point Rounds" on the Commando's skill tree, it gives Commando the capability to take down a Fleshpound before their rage animation finishes playing out and they can hit you, with about 22 out of 30 bullets in the mag needed to do so. This is on a perk that was originally designed as a dedicated trash-killing perk, and despite the fact that the FP takedown is not easy, the fact that it can be done at all is an astounding boost to a perk that otherwise would be dead in the water against Fleshpounds (which was by design).
If you don't understand how huge being able to delete a Fleshpound in just under 2 seconds without getting yourself or anyone hit is, and the fact that the FAL has enough ammo without "Prepared" to do this to up to eight Fleshpounds in a single wave while still being able to take its best anti-trash rifles to go along with it, I can't help you.

(The Sharpshooter can do likewise even without the added magazine size because of how Rack 'em Up gives the Sharp added margin for error on the takedown that they otherwise wouldn't have, and that's just considered one of the worse options for Sharp to dumpster FPs because that's kind of Sharpshooter's job.)

Compare that to the M16, which has no reliable 6P HoE Fleshpound takedowns that don't allow you to get hit. None. The explosive damage with one grenade doesn't matter nearly as much as effective time-to-kill, and that is where the M16 drops the ball.
The first grenade will rage a FP, and it will then come closer to smack the nearest person, probably you. The closest thing you can get to an honest takedown with a (Tier 5) M16 is to unload a dud round on the FP and spray at its head, and if you have a Tier 5 weapon, and if you are using Impact Rounds (I think), and if you get lucky and roll the extra long stagger animation and not the brief stumble animation, the Fleshpound can die if you hit the dud grenade and ~31 shots all in the Fleshpound's head. But that's not something you can reliably count on.
"Spray underbarrel grenades at it until it dies" hasn't been a viable tactic in 6P HoE or CD since the nerf to the M203's reload speed several years ago, and I don't consider wildly throwing grenades a thing Commandos should be building around nor focusing on; the M16 remains a noob trap in this game as it always has been.

I'll save the complicated math for the HMtech-501's grenade, and just point out on base damage for the 501's rifle does 1410 damage before reloading vs the Fal's base damage of 1400 before reloading.
This doesn't check out, partially because of the FAL doing rifle damage as noted above, and partially because the 501's firing rate means that damage comes out slower when compared to the FAL.
Nobody is using the 501 in serious takedowns, although it absolutely has its place in Commando's arsenal. Just not as your big game hunter weapon.

Potential damage per magazine is not the only thing that counts. What primarily matters in high difficulty games is how that damage translates to shots-to-kill (less shots = better), effective damage per second, and how that damage circumvents large Zed rage mechanics. Efficiency is the name of the game.

On Commando, for example, the FAL can kill FPs before they rage, the M16 and Stoner can't, thus the FAL is objectively better than those guns at killing Fleshpounds.
Against trash, the SCAR does more damage per shot than the HMtech-401, but has half the magazine size of the 401 and only saves substantial shots to kill on medium Zeds while having to reload much more often, meaning its damage uptime is worse than the 401 against trash and you get much fewer dead trash Zeds from a full SCAR than a full 401. Ergo, the SCAR is worse against trash than the 401.

Different perk example: The Seal Squeal puts out higher total theoretical damage than the RPG in one magazine but requires a more stringent set of circumstances to pull off a takedown on a Scrake involving stuns and a pre-shot with the Magnum...as opposed to the T5 RPG being "shoot it once in the head," due to the RPG's high damage and bonus multiplier against Scrakes.
Against Fleshpounds, the RPG kills them in 3 bodyshots that can be reload cancelled, and the Seal Squeal can't; you're not doing it without reloads or without C4 mixed in as a combo, and if you have to reload, you're getting hit unless dynamiting the FP first.

Hopefully you understand what I'm getting at here; the short version of the above is that damage-per-mag isn't everything.

Add in the magazine perks and 501 is increased to 3525 base damage vs the Fal's 1820 damage (since the community will always pick the 30% damage and reload speed over the 2.5x magazine size for that weapon).
On almost every (good) Commando weapon the ideal combination of skills involves "High Capacity Magazines" and "Hollow Point Rounds" because of the combination of increased damage and higher DPS since you have a higher mag size that isn't broken up by having to reload mid-kill.

Almost every Commando weapon worth taking can be reload cancelled, making "Tactical Reload" almost completely useless in most meta loadouts. The weapons that often require TacRel for optimal use are weapons with underslung attachments, none of which are considered meta picks (and not having HCM by extension makes all other weapons worse).

Try actually using the Demo's other weapons besides kaboomstick, RPG and C4. You'll be amazed how much trying some strategy and versatile play style works. The moment I started using the Seal Squeal for example, I never looked back at the RPG or the C4 as it's basically a more accurate C4 that does 1875 base damage before having to reload that thing as oppose to the RPG's 900 damage and reload after every shot strategy. Then the ZedMK3 came in and I didn't have to prioritize my shots like I did with the RPG and C4 (you get all of 3 bombs!). Add in the bombardier and you never have to prioritize shots or worry about enemies back attacking you or attacking you while you have to reload.
Yes, I know Demolitionist has grown over the years from being a perk that just shipped with the C4, M79, and RPG and was designed around needing allies to cover them in exchange for not needing mechanical skill to use, to being a perk that most players just spam everywhere with, as the addition of new weapons encouraged that playstyle because players kept complaining about it actually having weaknesses and needing to measure shots. I still don't think that makes most of its weapons good compared to the three quoted options because taking down large Zeds before they can rage and hit people is Demo's main job; anything that doesn't help me do that--like kill trash--is something I might as well play Firebug for.

The Seal Squeal has been left off most serious weapon takedown lists because the requirements and setup needed to kill large Zeds without raging them and getting hit is excessive compared to the RPG, which is famous for having much easier-to-use combos and setups to kill Scrakes before they can even rage and kill FPs fast enough to avoid getting hit during the takedown. SeSq does kill trash effectively, but that's nothing new and is largely relegated to Survivalist shenanigans, not Demo loadouts. It's mostly there for the novelty rather than utility.
Zed Mk3 is...fine? It's there. I don't really care much for it but I won't say it's unusually bad or super strong. It just is. It's a rapid-fire precision weapon on a perk that is not either of those things.

Both the AA-12 and boomstick are mid weapons that the community wanks into oblivion and are not good at killing large zeds. As I've experimented with tons of Support weapons and found not only does the HZ12 outperform both weapons badly, but even the dragonsbreath does a better job at killing large zed than them.
I absolutely hope this is sarcasm, particularly the line about the Dragonsbreath. That thing has trouble hitting all its pellets even when you have the barrel pressed to a Zed's temple with Tight Choke on, and it causes burn panic which makes followup headshots unreasonable. To compare that to the Doomstick--a weapon capable of just instantly killing a Scrake with a single button press and needing all of 2 alt-fires to delete a Fleshpound with reload-cancelling--or an upgraded Boomstick (add number of alt-fires from Boomstick plus one) is misguided at best.
The AA-12 has always been good at killing large Zeds assuming you know how to land your shots, and from a safer distance than other Support weapons, at that.

So basically you want every class besides gunslinger and sharpshooter to be dogsh!t. Got it.
See that? That thing I told you was a bad idea at the start of this post? Being a jerk like this and responding with as much bad-faith vitriol as possible? You're doing that exact thing here.

That said, I do wholeheartedly believe that Firebug, Demolitionist, Berserker, Medic, and Survivalist have extremely problematic kits that allow them to be too good at the highest difficulties for much, much less effort than Gunslinger, Sharpshooter, Commando, and SWAT. The fact that the former are allowed to perform almost as well as the latter but with a fraction of the effort or knowledge required to play well has been extremely unhealthy for the game's long-term appeal, and the additional fact that there is a dedicated scene of players who have to set up their own harder-than-HoE servers that blacklist those former perks and a number of problematic weapons in order to maintain higher levels of challenge speaks volumes to the issue.

When one of the main original design points is "headshots are much more effective and efficient, but harder than bodyshots, so git gud at headshots if you want to do well" and then you patch the game over the years to make the non-headshot classes both extremely easy to play and win with despite that design specification, of course nobody's going to want to play the perks that actually have to aim and put in the work at winning.

For the record, I don't like the presence of one-shot weapons like the M99/Doomstick/RPG, either; I believe they cheapen the skill curve for HoE and make the game boring for everyone else involved when you can simply delete large Zeds on command, as a team worth any salt will keep the one-shot wielder completely safe from trash while they are free to instakill the game's minibosses.
The M14 Marksman build is the best example of skill indexing in the game while also being reasonable from a perspective of how good it is vs. how hard you need to play well at it to earn that power. Any other perks should be balanced around that capability in mind for KF3.

Upvote 0
Okay I'll just respond to sections here because I'm not going to waste a bunch of time responding to all of that at once.

This entire line of reasoning is so misunderstood I don't even know where to start with it. But one thing I can guess at is that you don't practice headshots or takedowns, so let's break that down.

The FN FAL does rifle-type damage on both Commando and Sharpshooter--the same kind as the M14--rather than assault rifle damage. Rifle damage is a .75x multiplier against Fleshpounds rather than .5x multiplier (which only applies to assault rifles). The FAL also has an extremely rapid fire rate when full-auto is toggled. It is a significant addition to Commando's arsenal because it's a high-damage, high-RoF weapon, something Commando did not have outside of the brief period when the AK-12 used to be able to one-mag Fleshpounds.
In most cases it would be not that great; however, when used with "High Capacity Magazines" and "Hollow Point Rounds" on the Commando's skill tree, it gives Commando the capability to take down a Fleshpound before their rage animation finishes playing out and they can hit you, with about 22 out of 30 bullets in the mag needed to do so. This is on a perk that was originally designed as a dedicated trash-killing perk, and despite the fact that the FP takedown is not easy, the fact that it can be done at all is an astounding boost to a perk that otherwise would be dead in the water against Fleshpounds (which was by design).
If you don't understand how huge being able to delete a Fleshpound in just under 2 seconds without getting yourself or anyone hit is, and the fact that the FAL has enough ammo without "Prepared" to do this to up to eight Fleshpounds in a single wave while still being able to take its best anti-trash rifles to go along with it, I can't help you.

(The Sharpshooter can do likewise even without the added magazine size because of how Rack 'em Up gives the Sharp added margin for error on the takedown that they otherwise wouldn't have, and that's just considered one of the worse options for Sharp to dumpster FPs because that's kind of Sharpshooter's job.)

Compare that to the M16, which has no reliable 6P HoE Fleshpound takedowns that don't allow you to get hit. None. The explosive damage with one grenade doesn't matter nearly as much as effective time-to-kill, and that is where the M16 drops the ball.
The first grenade will rage a FP, and it will then come closer to smack the nearest person, probably you. The closest thing you can get to an honest takedown with a (Tier 5) M16 is to unload a dud round on the FP and spray at its head, and if you have a Tier 5 weapon, and if you are using Impact Rounds (I think), and if you get lucky and roll the extra long stagger animation and not the brief stumble animation, the Fleshpound can die if you hit the dud grenade and ~31 shots all in the Fleshpound's head. But that's not something you can reliably count on.
"Spray underbarrel grenades at it until it dies" hasn't been a viable tactic in 6P HoE or CD since the nerf to the M203's reload speed several years ago, and I don't consider wildly throwing grenades a thing Commandos should be building around nor focusing on; the M16 remains a noob trap in this game as it always has been.

1) Holy crap! Even after you tried to defend yourself with your "my solo simulations are just as good if not better than 6 players HOE games!" what do you proceed to post? More videos of the bullsh!t solo play, heavily cheat coded, simulator games that I been complaining about! Hey why don't you post videos of someone using invincibility mode while large zeds are right in front of his face and isn't taking a single damage, or better yet, both that and the cheat code to make zeds frozen and unable to move and call this "6 player HOE games". I've seen idiots post both and try and claim this is compatible to a real game.

If you can't prove your point in REAL GAMES(!) than I don't care what sort of bullsh!t excuse you have for your solo, simulator mode games. Heavily cheat coded, solo simulators ARE NOT 6 PLAYER, HELL ON EARTH GAMES! No ifs, ands, or buts about it and says alot about how dogsh!t are the skill levels in lot of people in this community truly are that they can never post a video of a REAL GAME while making their bullsh!t claims.

Do you know what a REAL GAME IS?! It's not a game where you have to punch in a fking cheat code just to get enemies to spawn and every aspect of the game only reacts when you punch in more cheat codes.

2) Okay you don't know this, but explosives like the M16 grenade launcher is always considered body damage, not to mention fleshpounds and quarterpounds have a weakness in their chest that they don't block as often as their head, so aiming for that center chest bodyshot is the most logical area to aim for.

3) You also don't know this, but you are also allowed to aim for headshots with both the M16 and 501 especially if you're shooting the rifle (which is where the 2.5x magazine capacity is going to apply to) in between shots with the grenade launchers. That's right, much like more than one play style exist, using a weapon to aim for more than one body part and mixing alt fires with primary fire exist too.

4) In the higher difficulties, enemies can block their heads, makings body shots in that shiny chest area (that does the same damage as the head) far more desirable when they're running with both their arms blocking their heads.

5) A dud round really? Okay thanks for letting me know you can't aim with explosive weapons and you require to be so close to enemies that your explosive rounds can't explode from that close up. I never fired a explosive weapon at that close up because I'm just wasting ammo at that point.

This doesn't check out, partially because of the FAL doing rifle damage as noted above, and partially because the 501's firing rate means that damage comes out slower when compared to the FAL.
Nobody is using the 501 in serious takedowns, although it absolutely has its place in Commando's arsenal. Just not as your big game hunter weapon.

Potential damage per magazine is not the only thing that counts. What primarily matters in high difficulty games is how that damage translates to shots-to-kill (less shots = better), effective damage per second, and how that damage circumvents large Zed rage mechanics. Efficiency is the name of the game.

On Commando, for example, the FAL can kill FPs before they rage, the M16 and Stoner can't, thus the FAL is objectively better than those guns at killing Fleshpounds.
Against trash, the SCAR does more damage per shot than the HMtech-401, but has half the magazine size of the 401 and only saves substantial shots to kill on medium Zeds while having to reload much more often, meaning its damage uptime is worse than the 401 against trash and you get much fewer dead trash Zeds from a full SCAR than a full 401. Ergo, the SCAR is worse against trash than the 401.

Different perk example: The Seal Squeal puts out higher total theoretical damage than the RPG in one magazine but requires a more stringent set of circumstances to pull off a takedown on a Scrake involving stuns and a pre-shot with the Magnum...as opposed to the T5 RPG being "shoot it once in the head," due to the RPG's high damage and bonus multiplier against Scrakes.
Against Fleshpounds, the RPG kills them in 3 bodyshots that can be reload cancelled, and the Seal Squeal can't; you're not doing it without reloads or without C4 mixed in as a combo, and if you have to reload, you're getting hit unless dynamiting the FP first.

Hopefully you understand what I'm getting at here; the short version of the above is that damage-per-mag isn't everything.

shots-to-kill (less shots = better), effective damage per second, and how that damage circumvents large Zed rage mechanics. Efficiency is the name of the game.

Are we using "High Capacity Mags" or "Tactical Reload" for the Fal here because we can't have both in real games. Because damage per second flies out the window the moment you're forced to reload your weapon.

Also this isn't Call of Duty (regardless if the community likes to think it is) where zeds can boom headshot players from halfway across the map in a few shots. I've unloaded 300 round miniguns into all sorts of enemies, including large zeds, before they can even reach me. If someone is playing Commando and can't unload their entire magazine into a zed (if you're surrounded than that's another situation) before they reach them, than that person is a bad player.

For the Scar vs the 401, lets see here: at base the Scar does 1100 damage per magazine or 2750 damage per magazine if you want to maximize it with the 2.5x magazine perks vs the 401 Assault Rifle which does 1400 damage per magazine or 3500 damage per magazine with the 2.5x increase. Thanks for proving my damage per magazine argument.

Who in their right mind buys a magnum when you're a freaking demo? Also HRG buckshots > 500 magnums. They both technically do the same damage, but one is much cheaper, lighter to carry and normally has a effectiveness bonus over the other.

In regards to scrakes, RPG impact bonus against scrakes is 450 damage vs the seal squeal which has 625 damage in one magazine and that's not counting how it's much easier to shoot scrakes in the face with the seal squeal as I've done it multiple times. Furthermore, the seal squeal is 7 weight over the RPG's 9 weight, meaning I can pair the seal squeal with something like a blunderbuss if I wanted to be fully effetive at killing at all large zeds over a stupid magnum.

Another thing in the heat of battle, weapon swap >>> weapon reload. Just a bit of a survival tip there, and why I always try favour multiple weapons in all my loadouts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
On almost every (good) Commando weapon the ideal combination of skills involves "High Capacity Magazines" and "Hollow Point Rounds" because of the combination of increased damage and higher DPS since you have a higher mag size that isn't broken up by having to reload mid-kill.
Shows what you and the community knows because 2.5x magazine size will always involve more kills in between reload times than Hollow Point Rounds + High Capacity Mags. I can point it out with all these random weapons:

FN Fal = 3500 damage per mag with 2.5x magazine vs 2730 damage per mag with 30% damage and 50% mag size
Minigun = 11,400 damage per mag with 2.5x magazine vs 7644 damage per mag with 30% damage and 50% mag size
Tommy Gun = 3750 damage per mag with 2.5x magazine vs 2925 damage per mag with 30% damage and 50% mag size
Famas = 2625 damage (rifle) + 3150 damage (shotgun) per mag with 2.5x magazine vs 2070 damage (rifle) + 2457 damage (shotgun) per mag with 30% damage and 50% mag size

Doesn't matter what weapon I use, the results will always be the same. And as stated above, if someone can't empty out their weapon's magazine into a enemy that they have any noticeable distance with, then they suck. Plain and simple.

I absolutely hope this is sarcasm, particularly the line about the Dragonsbreath. That thing has trouble hitting all its pellets even when you have the barrel pressed to a Zed's temple with Tight Choke on, and it causes burn panic which makes followup headshots unreasonable. To compare that to the Doomstick--a weapon capable of just instantly killing a Scrake with a single button press and needing all of 2 alt-fires to delete a Fleshpound with reload-cancelling--or an upgraded Boomstick (add number of alt-fires from Boomstick plus one) is misguided at best.
The AA-12 has always been good at killing large Zeds assuming you know how to land your shots, and from a safer distance than other Support weapons, at that.

1) Burn panic on enemies is good because it breaks up their attacks and leave them vulnerable to unload the rest of your chamber into them.

2) You try and land headshots with a shotgun? Really? Center mass is always the best option with shotguns because not only does it ensure the pellets are going to hit their target, but it's much easier to take advantage of the piercing capabilities by hitting the enemies behind them too.

3) I never said doomstick, I said boomstick, and yes that weapon is overrated. Okay a boomstick does all of 500 damage or 560 damage if you want to want to upgrade it to 8 (though I think that's a complete waste of space) if you unload the whole gun then you have reload pauses between shots. A HZ12 does 5600 damage (10x a fully upgraded boomstick!) without any reload pausing and has better range than a boomstick too.

4) This shows to me you have never tried out any different weapons or tactics because the HZ12 has both a higher damage per magazine and a higher damage per second than the AA-12. HZ12 does 3200 damage per mag at base (5600 damage with high capacity mags) with a maximum of 2000 damage per second vs the AA-12's 2800 damage per mag at base (4900 damage with high capacity mags) with a maximum of 700 damage per second (almost 3x less than the HZ12). Yet you're telling me the HZ12 is inferior to those two overrated weapons when one one of those 3 weapons I managed to save teammates from groups of large zeds and it wasn't the boomstick or the AA-12.

Last edited:
Upvote 0