• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] The Witcher 2

Yep. I was worried that, being a European dev team, they'd be using references to stuff I had no clue about...but I'm continually surprised playing Witcher how it hits all the AAA notes it should be. I'd pegged it as a b-grade dev team when I first picked up the game, but they've managed to impress me a lot.

So yeah, definitely looking forward to Witcher 2.

Upvote 0
I never played the first one, am I missing out? I've seen all the trailers there are to see for Witcher 2 and I am amazed, I definitely plan on getting this game.
I would say so. Get the Enhanced Edition. At the very first, as in the first 20 mins of the tutorial, the game will seem kind of "eh." At least it did to me. The writing seems kind of hackneyed and all you've got is the combat system, which, on an enemy by enemy basis, isn't that great.

Once the tutorial gets under way though, the game really speeds up. The story improves once it gets away from the main plot somewhat as well. The chapters are long. Areas are huge. There are lots of quests and multiple ways for each quest to play out. A lot of choices as you deal with NPCs or quests can have long-reaching repercussions. The leveling system and the item and alchemy system is quite meaty. Combat turns out to be more fun when all your moves are rolled out, and they throw lots of enemies at you.

I'm probably 65% to 70% through the game, and I put it down for a while, because I had been playing it for quite a long time. Still meaning to finish it, rather than a lot of games I just uninstall at this point.

So yeah, give it a whirl.

Upvote 0
I never played the first one, am I missing out? I've seen all the trailers there are to see for Witcher 2 and I am amazed, I definitely plan on getting this game.

I have never heard of this game, Witcher 1 or 2 until I saw it posted here, so thank you. :)

W1 Game of the Year Edition was heavily discounted on Steam last Thanksgiving so you might want to hold out for those Steam sales again. Depends on your purchasing power.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the suggestions, I will definitely be purchasing this game, right now the enhanced version is $19.99, so that's fairly cheap to begin with.

Does the game have sort of a karma system or something, meaning depending on how you deal with people and your decisions determined the type of person you are, or future encounters? Seems the second one will have a system of this sort on some level.

Upvote 0
There's no tracker for how good/bad you are. But making evil decisions does affect how certain people are around you - and Geralts own thoughts on himself (slight spoiler but not really)
Spoiler!
are dependent on them also.

The moral choices in The Witcher are not as clear cut as Mass Effect/Dragon Age for example, they're much more of a grey area and you decide based on your own perception of the situation - rather than it being a clear cut "kill guy/save guy" scenario.

If you ever played Dragon Age, the scenario in the Brecillian forest, with the werewolves and the elves is more like the sort of situation you are faced with in The Witcher.

Upvote 0
The moral choices in The Witcher are not as clear cut as Mass Effect/Dragon Age for example, they're much more of a grey area and you decide based on your own perception of the situation - rather than it being a clear cut "kill guy/save guy" scenario.
Exactly. In the Witcher universum(or games at least) it isn't about good or bad, it's about deciding what helps you more in your situation. A dev described this very well in a Witcher 2 Interview.

Reactions: Nimsky
Upvote 0