• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Wild Bunch & Tripwire Interactive's 50 player test server

I think it's pretty clear by now that the technology CAN handle this number of players if it is souped enough.

I have to admit, I feel sorry for all the admnis who are losing players to the 50-man server and for all the people who will have to upgrade their server to keep players and mebbe can't afford it. But it definitely does look as if 50 players is the way to go.

Upvote 0
Well depends, I NEVER EVER WANT to play Danzig on that server. Small infantry maps **** ass with 50 players I'm sure. Also with that many players, the teamwork suffers. It's more, woo this is neat more targets to shoot at.

I'd rather play an IC battle with 16v16 and everyone mic'ed up, than 25v25 and it's a mindless mob and htat's my experiance so far (espeically Berezina).

Upvote 0
I think it's pretty clear by now that the technology CAN handle this number of players if it is souped enough.

I have to admit, I feel sorry for all the admnis who are losing players to the 50-man server and for all the people who will have to upgrade their server to keep players and mebbe can't afford it. But it definitely does look as if 50 players is the way to go.

Good point. Sure there are maps out there that I would like to play with 50 players, but just as many or more where I definately wouldn't. I think it would be too much like run'n'gunning....

Just my opinion...

Upvote 0
Very Nice! Played arad, was pretty kicking ,tons of team tanking though seeing half the russian infantry force consist of tank crewmen was amusing :D

Server swtiched over to Rakowice and MAN that was fun. IT was strange but maybe because you couldn't go solo, every1 started to run as a team, you'd follow 1 guy, who'd be joined by 3 others then 2 others, and before you know, you got 7 guys roughly acting as a team taking the flack guns. Furhtermore, DAMN is the mg42 a beast with this many players. Another thing I saw, that was cool, was combined arms assualts on objectivtes, where a bunch of folks would follow a tank as it slowely moved toward its target. Maybe it was because we had a good crowd or for the fact that you last about 2 seconds moving around on open ground on that map, but it was really cool to see. Now this is HOW RO is suppost to be played :)

Upvote 0
Very Nice! Played arad, was pretty kicking ,tons of team tanking though seeing half the russian infantry force consist of tank crewmen was amusing :D

Server swtiched over to Rakowice and MAN that was fun. IT was strange but maybe because you couldn't go solo, every1 started to run as a team, you'd follow 1 guy, who'd be joined by 3 others then 2 others, and before you know, you got 7 guys roughly acting as a team taking the flack guns. Furhtermore, DAMN is the mg42 a beast with this many players. Another thing I saw, that was cool, was combined arms assualts on objectivtes, where a bunch of folks would follow a tank as it slowely moved toward its target. Maybe it was because we had a good crowd or for the fact that you last about 2 seconds moving around on open ground on that map, but it was really cool to see. Now this is HOW RO is suppost to be played :)
I was there on Arad, PTRD Sniping was never more fun. :D Now we just need the return of the Clown Car so we can go bowling. :cool:

Upvote 0

I think you'll see more 50 player servers but not that many in the near future.

TWI will be producing some info for Admins on the resources etc required to run a server that can handle such a large number of players.

In truth as Slyk has pointed out and many others the smaller maps don't play that well with so many players whilst it's great fun maps like Danzig are perhaps a little to manic for any cohesive team play where as maps like Arad, Berezina and Konigplatz play extremely well with bigger player numbers.
So I think personally we may see the larger server cater for the larger maps and smaller server concentrate on the smaller map.

Something both the devs and the modding community will need to take onboard when making future maps.

Perhaps Nestor you'll re-look at Makhno Village?....lol...:D

Either way the die has now been cast by TWI and we'll all have to see where this new development takes us as a community.

Upvote 0
Perhaps Nestor you'll re-look at Makhno Village?....lol...:D

For 50 players it is truly tempting - think I'll wait until some more early war tanks are around (i.e. after Carpathian Crosses introduces some of the tin-boxes I love so much) Mebbe a re-release with the Romanians attacking and improved gameplay.

Upvote 0
For 50 players it is truly tempting - think I'll wait until some more early war tanks are around (i.e. after Carpathian Crosses introduces some of the tin-boxes I love so much) Mebbe a re-release with the Romanians attacking and improved gameplay.

You'll have at least a BT7 before too long....

As for my current maps, I don't think I would add more tanks. I would rather see them more in the supporting role with more infantry going in. I am considering how many HTs to add and think that just one more per spawn would be about right. The last thing anyone wants to see are three HTs drving off with one guy! or an assault wave of six or seven charging. That would be worse than having too few. This really gives the community the chance to have much more indepth CA maps and true platoon level tactics. Now if only VoIP supported the similar traits of BF2 for squad communications.

Upvote 0
You'll have at least a BT7 before too long....
Yeah, I know, I did the engine sounds for it. :p the v-12 petrol raaawwwwwwksss (and the diesel aero-engine version is OK too - think race-tuned Junkers JuMo :))
BT-7-final-3.jpg

[/totally shameless plug]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lyskrovy, with 20 limlitless assault classes on the soviet side just starts to get a sensless meat grinder with 50 people. Basovka also starts to suffer any real gameplay/teamwork ... and just ends in a tank skirmish, where it is near impossible for germans to win.

On some maps it can be fun to play with 50 people. It seems to be the exact right number for Berenzina, Black day July and even some smaller maps. Odessa seemed to be most of the time ok with 50 players. Its good that classes like the Sniper and Commander are only ONE time present. It would start to be a mess with more commanders and snipers. It gets harder to defend/assault sometimes, as you have to now kill more enemies to capture, but also it can be easier cause you have more comrads to defend/assault with you. On some maps its now a lot better for machineguners, cause the chance to have someone around you, is now way biger, just penetration and the mgs would be perfect.

Anyway. I would not say that 50people are the future in every case. Its more 50/50 thing. some maps are good for it, others arent ... seriously i NEVER EVER want to play again Lyskrovy with 50 people ... its just a big single laging meat grinder :(

Upvote 0
Some maps wont work obviously, usually because of class limits (too few smgs and mg's). But the majority work fine, many work a lot better.

Had some amazing games the last few days. RO has always lacked a squad feel to me, since the maps are typically large and numbers limited. But with the increased player count you see people grouping up a lot more. When before you'd get the odd fight between 2 people, you now see groups of 5-6 moving together. I saw 10 Germans moving as one to capture a square, covering each other! And I regularly saw similar group actions on both sides.

Also, the increased player count makes smgs and mgs more powerful relative to rifles. Which rocks. When you add in the general increase in intensity, you get a much better experience.

Don't think I'll ever go back to 16v16 :D

Upvote 0