• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] The "what are you currently playing?" thread #2

From what I've seen so far, absolutely. Though FEAR 2 was a console port - and even the art direction suffered for this - it was still pretty. This one just... isn't. Take a look at some gameplay videos and compare the two, they'll illustrate my point better than my words.

I'll still be beating the game though, to get my $8 worth and see what they do with the plot. Though the series may be rolling downhill, Alma Wade has to be one of my favorite video game characters.

Upvote 0
Finally got round to Deus EX HR which is reasonably enjoyable but I've been a bit disappointed with so far.
For all the faults of the second one I actually put it above HR - so far - when it comes to the deus-ex 'feeling'
Maybe it's the 3rd person stuff - or more action orientated approach, or the lack of neutral NPCs ive met so far.

Some things seem weird -
Why are your 'silent' takedowns more like WWE signature moves?
Why do your interactions seem to redirect back to the same point same point whether you choose beligerent or sympathetic dialogue options?
And what the **** is up with everyone's clothes?

It's nice to be playing a Deus Ex game, of course it will remind me of how much I love the orgional - but if i'm also thinking fondly of IW then it's not what it could be.

Upvote 0
And what the **** is up with everyone's clothes?

They tried to capture a renaissance era vibe, as there is a kind of second enlightenment taking place at the time the game is set in. I kind of liked the look of the clothes and general design, only the roman centurion imagery invoking helmets the police officers wear looked way better in concept-artwork than in the actual game.

Upvote 0
They would have been great in a game that wasn't called Deus Ex. In the first game they tried to make it a bit more believable than stylized. The one thing I really didn't get in HR was why people would voluntarily get those crappy Inspector Gadget mechanical augs. They seem like they'd be great if you happen to get handicapped like Adam Jensen but to replace perfectly good limbs with mechanical ones that offer little advantage and require you to eat candy bars 24/7 makes no sense. Even in DX1 they say Gunther and Anna made a sacrifice by getting mechanical augs.

Upvote 0
They would have been great in a game that wasn't called Deus Ex. In the first game they tried to make it a bit more believable than stylized. The one thing I really didn't get in HR was why people would voluntarily get those crappy Inspector Gadget mechanical augs. They seem like they'd be great if you happen to get handicapped like Adam Jensen but to replace perfectly good limbs with mechanical ones that offer little advantage and require you to eat candy bars 24/7 makes no sense. Even in DX1 they say Gunther and Anna made a sacrifice by getting mechanical augs.

What I also found odd was how they thought they looked appealing yet looked horrible. I figured they were poking fun at tattoos though. :p

Upvote 0
They tried to capture a renaissance era vibe, as there is a kind of second enlightenment taking place at the time the game is set in. I kind of liked the look of the clothes and general design, only the roman centurion imagery invoking helmets the police officers wear looked way better in concept-artwork than in the actual game.

I can see what they are trying to do but i think the results are poor - the shiney patterned patches on suits and in particular the stiff geometric shapes on clothing look awful.
I agree thou i dont remember it looking so bad when I flicked thou the artbook.
I hope they dress better in china...

Upvote 0
On other news, anyone here has played sins of a sollar empire: rebellion? Never played one of those, but I am thinking of getting this one to kill some time during the summer, and from what I get, I can buy only the latest expansion and basically have the whole game, am I right?

I remember a few years ago when the original came out and everyone found it fantastic, but for some reason I never bothered with it. Having watched the "WTF is" for rebellion though got me thinking...

Upvote 0
Trying the LME mod for Napoleon Total War.

Spoiler!

Apart from neat-o smoke and sound mods (which are basically just other people's mods added on to LME) the game completely revamps regiments for every nation, expands all the OPMs, and even distinguishes between early, mid and late Napoleonic uniforms and such. The mod has campaigns for nearly all the wars of the coalitions too... just a whole lot of content to wrap your mind around.

Austria assembled a six thousand man strong force to stop my from advancing on Vienna, ambushing me on the highway. It ended with just two minutes left on the clock, a long and vicious fight. Two of my battalions ran out of ammo before the end.

Spoiler!

8:1 kill death ratio... the "improved" AI still needs some work, I think.

Spoiler!

EDIT: I meant to put this in the screenshot thread... oh well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Trying the LME mod for Napoleon Total War.

Apart from neat-o smoke and sound mods (which are basically just other people's mods added on to LME) the game completely revamps regiments for every nation, expands all the OPMs, and even distinguishes between early, mid and late Napoleonic uniforms and such. The mod has campaigns for nearly all the wars of the coalitions too... just a whole lot of content to wrap your mind around.

Austria assembled a six thousand man strong force to stop my from advancing on Vienna, ambushing me on the highway. It ended with just two minutes left on the clock, a long and vicious fight. Two of my battalions ran out of ammo before the end.

8:1 kill death ratio... the "improved" AI still needs some work, I think.

EDIT: I meant to put this in the screenshot thread... oh well.

Siiiiiick, good job man. How does it stack up against DarthMod: Napoleon, because Darth has made my favorite Total War mods so far, but I'm always open to something new.

As for me, I've been putting some time into MoW: Assault Squad with the dynamic campaign generator. Really adds replayability to the game, even if the matches are stacked. I've had several games where it was my one 8-man rifle squad vs. around 120 enemies :(

Upvote 0
Purchased Dark Messiah Might & Magic on a whim, enjoying it so far. I'm thinking maybe I should have picked Normal difficulty for my first playthrough as this game is relatively brutal compared to most these days. The WASD+M1 melee attack controls always throw me off, all those hours in Oblivion and Skyrim and I still never really get comfortable with them.

Still a good game if you don't have thousands of hours of incompatible skill. Natural Selection and Killing Floor gave me habits that get me killed in Dark Messiah. When you train yourself with traditional FPS melee weapons that allow you to maneuever freely while attacking, this just never feels natural.

Upvote 0