• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] The "what are you currently playing?" thread #2

I actually don't know; I've never bought HoI3 :p.

However, I do know that HOI2 is extremely fun; granted, you need to know someone who plays it (I know a few of us HoI fans here would help you), due to the fact that the game is not exactly very "jump-on-in"ish.

Altogether, HoI is good fun (however, I've heard HoI 3 is unplayable without the expansion), so I'd suggest it. However, be aware: EU3 may look just like it, but they play wildly different; the style of warfare, which is a lot less "one-on-one" type than EU3, but instead gives the battle to those who know how to use mobility of multiple armies simultaneuosly as well as large-front support-attacking. The peacetime play is also very different, as it's less about diplomacy (although diplomacy is huge), and you can be a little more belligerent.

Is it pausable?
Asking this because the only reason I think EU3 is fun for me is because of this feature... the main reason why I don't play RTS games much is because I can pay attention to one thing at a time (this isn't bad, just says 'I AM A MAN!!!').
HOI2 is only 14 euros so maybe I am getting it anyway.

Got my internet back today!!!! Finally going back to RO1/BC2/Minecraft (online)/OpenTTD (online)/update AMD driver:D:D:D:D
FYI I lost the internet 11 january 2011, I am not addicted... I just need my fix once in a while (one nazi/communist/'moderncrapfare random middle eastern guy' per day. No they aren't given by IV)

Upvote 0
Is it pausable?
Asking this because the only reason I think EU3 is fun for me is because of this feature... the main reason why I don't play RTS games much is because I can pay attention to one thing at a time (this isn't bad, just says 'I AM A MAN!!!').
HOI2 is only 14 euros so maybe I am getting it anyway.

Got my internet back today!!!! Finally going back to RO1/BC2/Minecraft (online)/OpenTTD (online)/update AMD driver:D:D:D:D
FYI I lost the internet 11 january 2011, I am not addicted... I just need my fix once in a while (one nazi/communist/'moderncrapfare random middle eastern guy' per day. No they aren't given by IV)

aye, it is pausable, and you can adjust how fast everything goes rather specifically.

Trust me, if you couldn't do either one, the game would be a nightmare (like EU3, there is simply too much to do to not pause)

All in all, a lot of the options like that (nation choice, time) are pretty similar to EU3, as well as alot of the basic formats. It plays hugely different, though.

Upvote 0
Silent Hunter III with SH3 Commander and the Living Silent Hunter mod pack.

I completed my first patrol a couple of hours ago as commander of U-46 out of Stralsund. It was relatively short, from October 1st, 1939 to October 6th. My operating area was the waters just south of Gotland. I initially wasn't expecting anything, but we came across and sunk ten Polish vessels, five of which were fishing boats. I am a real bastard.

Upvote 0
aye, it is pausable, and you can adjust how fast everything goes rather specifically.

Trust me, if you couldn't do either one, the game would be a nightmare (like EU3, there is simply too much to do to not pause)

All in all, a lot of the options like that (nation choice, time) are pretty similar to EU3, as well as alot of the basic formats. It plays hugely different, though.

Upvote 0
So they can turn it into a formulaic ensemble RPG like Mass Effect 2, where you can chose who of your team mates to bone? :p

I do wonder though why the vampire craze from the movie world in recent years hasn't swept over to the gaming world. Maybe they were too busy producing zombie modes for everything (including CoD, Borderlands and Red Dead Redemption, of all things...). I'm getting cynical again.:(

Halo: Reach
Multiplayer isn't as well balanced as Halo 3 anymore. Not at all. But it's still fun. My brother likes it so for now we mostly play this instead of Halo 3.
Singleplayer on the other hand is a true return to greatness. I don't know where I would place it in a ranking of all the Halo singleplayers, but it's really good. I didn't like the flying parts much but everything else was great. Not as vehicle-heavy as Halo 3, no annoying one-hit-kill snipers like in Halo 2 (they have a beam rifle now that takes a second or so to kill you), Elites are the elites again and Brutes are.. well, brutes.
Encounters give you a lot of tactical freedom again. In Halo 3 I sometimes felt like there were only one or two ways to go about things, but in Reach you get to invade relatively big and complex pieces of level and then you get to defend them against reinforcements they send in via drop-ships.
I had and will have a lot of fun with this.

Upvote 0
So they can turn it into a formulaic ensemble RPG like Mass Effect 2, where you can chose who of your team mates to bone? :p
Well, the sex part would fit into the game at least :p But I wouldn't really know what other studio would be good for such a project. Obisidian maybe, but I'm sceptical after the AP failure, or CDProject but they've only done fantasy RPGs so far.

Besides DA2 isn't of the same "collect teammembers for 30h then finish the game" pattern. Aveline joins you right at the beginning, Isabela is met by coincidence in the bar(not a mission), Varric joins you during the main plot and IDK the two elves which I never cared about. So it feels much more like meeting new teammates while playing through the game and not like having to assemble a crew to do the main questline. And besides, it's a party RPG, so of course you're going to meet many new teammates one way or another. DA2 is different from ME2 here, and even the ME2 way didn't annoy me or anything, but if BioWares next 5 games were of exactly the same pattern it would of course become kinda predictable eventually.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shepherd
Upvote 0
I just thought of something: how awesome would it be if BioWare bought the license and created a sequel to Vampire: Bloodlines? Still my fav. RPG of all time

Terrible idea is terrible. Romancing vampire teammates via a dialogue wheel while on the quest to destroy an ancient evil that has just recently awoken? No thanks.

Spoiler!

Last edited:
Upvote 0