• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The problem isn't in the bugs - it's in the design

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm sure there is some valid stuff in here, but i'm not gonna read this whole thing.

You tend to ramble quite a bit.

I skimmed through and let me just make some quick replies:

-This game is not realistic, its not authentic and nor is it tactical. I havnt had to plan or weigh consequences at all in this game, and i do just fine.

- I wouldnt say i'm playing against bad players, unless all the servers are full of bad players, as i tend to hop around. THe game is just not hard, once you figure out the map, you know exactly where the enemy will funnel in from. If you really like, i can post a picture of the scoreboard. Dont know what else to say.

-I know this is not ARMA, i dont want it to be ARMA. I never mentioned ARMA so i im not sure why you brought it up. I want it to be like OST FRONT!

-I dont need to get better, im already in the top 3; thats kinda of my point. Have you even been reading my posts? I'm in the top, there is no where else to go from here. I try limiting myself to bolts only for an added challenge but its just as easy. In the end of the day im not satisfied as i dont feel like i deserve to be on top. In Ost Front, i played for months just to finally stop ending up last; i would get excited when i scored a single kill the whole round.

Bull****. You think it's unrealistic because you suck.
-umm no...again, have you been reading my posts? See above. It sounds like your about to suffer from brain hemorrhaging, take it down a notch. If it makes you feel better, i advocate authenticity over realism; happy?

-Books and movies huh? Well yeah, i never served in Stalingrad. Forgive me, i didnt know you were in stalingrad; tell me about your "first hand" experiance of the battle there.

-How do you know i havent fired a weapon? For all you know, im chuck norris. But in all seriousness, i have fired a weapon, in fact thousands of them. i own a yugo m48 (k98 variant), and have built, modified and sold hundreds of AR15's. Nice ad hominem attacks there, really mature.

-played the very first fps? In the 70's, man you're old. Maze war? Spasim? those were the first i believe. i dont try changing RTS' and RPG's into FPS' either. wow small world!

From there on out you went on a tangent, about how devs wanted realism but couldnt, etc etc.

Forgive me if i take that all with a grain of salt, but i dont believe you. Give me an interview with a dev back in the 80's 90's that correlates what you're saying.

Also, you were wrong about stalingrad werent you? Thats why you made no mention of it. Did you read that link i gave you? Pretty informative huh? I suggest you read up on FPS and video game history while at it.

Protip: Condense and summarize your posts; more people will be willing to read it then. Oh and ease up on the personal attacks, i didnt attack you personally...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree, TW have always sucked at designing maps. The best maps and gameplay modes have always come from the community. I'd say that Darkest Hour is a better game then the original RO purely because it has better maps and gamemodes. TW should make the engine and the community the maps. These Urban maps are like big TDM's, they get boring super fast.

Most TW mappers started out as community mappers, including SasQuatch himself, iirc.

I dunno, I never got bored of Danzig, the gnarly small urban spam fest, and naturally I <3 Apartments. Looks good, plays great, and it's teamwork oriented for standard gametype. Nothing to improve there. Station... same. Sniping into spawn and arty into spawn are problems, but TW's response is probably "use the other spawn, that's why we put it there."

Which is ok, but there should be something protecting the mens....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If I recall correctly this is called Red Orchestra 2. Not Red of Duty or Call of Orchestra. I strongly agree that the pace should be closer to RO1.

It is also meant to be a REALISTIC TACTICAL shooter. You are asking for it to be made LESS realistic so that you don't have to use proper tactics. That's what the CoD guys want too.

The only way you are going to slow down the pace of the game is to make ARMA style mega-maps, which you can go play ARMA for, or to gimp certain game mechanics. Larger maps means lower frame rates. Changing the way the maps are designed would stop them from being based on realistic locations and turn them into a paintball field with appropriate cover situated at appropriate locations so that people can camp to their heart's content.

THAT is assuming there actually is a problem, which there isn't. The problem is you can't handle any high paced action, so you need it to be slowed down. It's not realistic, but then those CoD-kiiddies will stop owning you in CQB. So you don't care.

If RO1 is so damn great, go play RO1. TWI has made NO SECRET that RO2 was not simply a retexturing of RO1. They straight up said it was going to be faster paced and more accessible for the casual gamer.

So if you don't like that kind of game, why did you buy it?

Or was it that being hidden in RO1 for so long gave you a false sense of security? You thought you were actually better than those CoD kiddies, so when they showed up and started owning you, you spat the dummy. ("Threw a tantrum" for those unfamiliar with the phrase).

-

Let me try another tack: When you say slow down the pace of the game, what do you actually mean? Most of the people saying that seem to mean they are dying too quickly or too often. They have some idea in their mind of what they should be able to do, and it's not happening. What they don't know is why. So they think about RO1 and say "those battles seemed to be long and drawn out and I enjoyed them, but the RO2 battles seem to be over much quicker"

They ARE over much quicker (probably) but that is not RO2's fault. RO1 was a biased game. It was unrealistically limiting what a player could do in the name of "realism" but really to protect the slower styles of play AKA camp and snipe. They did in RO1, exactly what CoD does, but just in the opposite direction. CoD is artificially fast, and RO1 is artificially slow.

RO2 doesn't do that. You can do camp and snipe AND run and gun. In fact, just like real life, you HAVE to do them BOTH.

You see, you are doing something that the real battles didn't do. You're playing with a maximum of 63 other people in the entire world. At the REAL grain elevator battle, they had hundreds if not thousands of people fighting in the same location you are fighting in with only 64 players.

The real war was MUCH faster paced. The life expectancy of a Soviet rifleman was measured in minutes. Hundreds of people would be dying all around you constantly. They would start a battle with hundreds of troops and end up with dozens.

We only ever have 32 enemies to face at a time, and it seems many people can't even handle that many threats at once. Often, they are the ones that moan the loudest about realism and authenticity.

Last edited:
Reactions: SiFi
Upvote 0
You know for someone that likes to talk about skill while denying others skill, you haven't really provided much evidence aside from gainsaying while TALKING like THIS.

As much as you go on about skill it is much harder to verify than an objective look at mechanics, which is why looking at the mechanics requires fewer assumptions than arguments that rely upon the skill of yourself or an other.

You are aware of the associated and numerous assumptions that you necessarily must carry in your argumentation compared to the very few assumptions by a bare looking at the mechanics and gameplay attributes, right?

From about two hours ago:

2hoio1z.jpg

That was the end of the round. I carried the DP-28 the whole time and all those kills were using the DP-28 except for a couple of grenade kills. Notice that my squad was doing well over all, considering we kept getting new players. We weren't coordinating as such, we just knew where we were supposed to go and what we were supposed to do and did it.

Here is an occasion where I used all the tactics I talk about, defence in depth, constant movement, short bursts and so on:

2wpl7yg.jpg

This was actually two kills, but I didn't get the screenshot in time because I was watching for more targets and missed it. One a rifleman in full sprint, the other an MP-40 turning to try and shoot me. You can't see the bodies, but the rifleman fell near the corner of the building, and the MP-40 was just to the left of where the sight is. Two 3 round bursts and they both died without even getting a shot off.

I had come out of the building, and gone prone. At that exact moment two Germans came out from behind the truck. Check my positioning. The tank is covering the corner of the building at my right front. If you look at that part of the map, you'll see I am lying prone near a dead horse and cart, which is covering my right.

I'm lying in the lowest part of a depression running past the front of the building. I have minimised the possible threat locations in my arc to ones I can easily cover. At this moment, I am trusting my squad mate to cover my rear quadrant, but I turned to look at him after this screenshot before deciding where to move to best cover him.

The Germans ran out from behind the truck, but were halfway across by the time I had finished going prone. The rifleman either never saw me or decided to bail. He only died tired. :D

None of this was planned or coordinated with my squad mate. I'm not even sure which one it was. He had a green name. He may not have even been trying to work as a team, but we both had the same goal, and when I saw him turn right, my immediate instinct was to turn left to cover his back.

Two kills and a bucket of points later and I turn and see where my squad mate is going covering him as best I can until he stops. Then I moved in front of him and covered while he moved again. As he moved, I covered, when he stopped I moved. As I said he may not have even known we were working together, but just by sticking to my part of the "plan" we managed to get a few more kills before he took a bullet. I went down soon after.

By the end of two rounds on the map I had 22 kills, in the top 5 of the team, and was 3rd on the table.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but maybe I know what I'm talking about? If your way isn't working why not try my way? That's all I'm saying.

Upvote 0
-This game is not realistic, its not authentic and nor is it tactical. I havnt had to plan or weigh consequences at all in this game, and i do just fine.

You may think you haven't but you have. I'm not saying you are doing what I'm doing, but I'm also not saying you are doing anything wrong, if you are doing fine. I was addressing people who seem to think the game mechanics prevent them from doing fine. If you don't have to even think about it and you're doing fine, then no problem.

Most of the people who are complaining are not doing fine.

My question to you is define "realistic", "authentic" and "tactical", because I'm pretty sure they don't mean what you think they mean and it will be quicker to just cut to the chase. The short attention span people are getting restless.

THe game is just not hard, once you figure out the map, you know exactly where the enemy will funnel in from.

See, that's what I mean. There is nothing about the maps that forces people to funnel into an area they can't use proper tactics to clear safely. The reason the game is too easy, is because people do dumb things constantly. You can't fix that in the code. The bug is in most player's brain.

If you really like, i can post a picture of the scoreboard. Dont know what else to say.

It would be pretty hypocritical for me to doubt your word while asking you to take me at mine. I'm not a hypocrite. As I said, I'm not saying only I can do it, nor even really that my way is the best way. I was just saying that my way is the way that's taught to real soldiers (at least I was taught them) and they work for me. So either the game isn't the problem for those people who are doing bad, or I am some sort of FPS god. I don't believe in gods.

I know this is not ARMA, i dont want it to be ARMA. I never mentioned ARMA so i im not sure why you brought it up. I want it to be like OST FRONT!

What I am saying is for it to be like Ostfront, it would either have to be made less realistic or the maps would have to be made so huge that you could safely manoeuvre outside the enemy's MG range, which is about 1KM.

Are you sure you want maps that are THAT big?

I dont need to get better, im already in the top 3; thats kinda of my point. Have you even been reading my posts? I'm in the top, there is no where else to go from here.

No, but just about everyone else does. That's the problem. The game is boring you because you are not being challenged but the game can not challenge you, only the players can. You need the players to change, not the game. So I'm just trying to help change the players and get them thinking more tactical.

By the way, this is a public forum. You're not the only one reading my posts. They are addressed to the forum in general as well as you. Think of it like a debate. You and I are talking, but the judges are sitting quietly off to the side.

I try limiting myself to bolts only for an added challenge but its just as easy.

But what about all the screams about the MkB42 and the MP40 and the... no one has to take my word for it, they just have to read through the threads. You may not be complaining about how hard the game is, but it seems just about everyone else is. Funnily enough YOUR complaint is how EASY (caps used for emphasis because I CBF using the damn mouse) it is. Look around dude... are you surprised?

In the end of the day im not satisfied as i dont feel like i deserve to be on top. In Ost Front, i played for months just to finally stop ending up last; i would get excited when i scored a single kill the whole round.

Let me tell you why. From what I have been able to gather, that game was artificially biased against the kind of people who can do this stuff without thinking. The ones who just do it. It was made so people HAD to stop and think. Now that you don't have to, all those people who were owning you in RO1 are getting owned. They were being protected by the game... they weren't better than you.

The game did this by artificially boosting the capabilities of the rifle while gimping everything else. The "realistic tactical shooter" wasn't actually realistic. Even TWI admitted it.

If it makes you feel better, i advocate authenticity over realism; happy?

What do you mean by that? If something is authentic, it is realistic, so clearly you are using a non-standard definition. Could you tell me your definition so that we are on the same page?

Books and movies huh? Well yeah, i never served in Stalingrad. Forgive me, i didnt know you were in stalingrad; tell me about your "first hand" experiance of the battle there.

But have you served at all? Have you had infantry training? I have, but I have never been to war. In another thread someone who had, was not disputing that I was describing the way they were taught to do it... they just didn't agree about whether or not the game MG34 was accurately modelling the real MG34. I've never said it was perfect, just that it didn't matter. So he bowed out of the conversation.

How do you know i havent fired a weapon?

I'm not saying A weapon, I'm saying THE weapon.

i own a yugo m48 (k98 variant),

Does the in-game gun accurately represent what it is like to fire a K98? Be reasonable, though. Compared to RO1, for example, is it more or less accurately modelled in RO2?

Nice ad hominem attacks there, really mature.

I'm just doing what they are doing. They say the game sucks, I say they suck. It's all a matter of opinion, isn't it?

played the very first fps? In the 70's, man you're old.

Wolfenstein 3D was in the 70's?

By the way, you just let me know quite a bit about you. Like you seem to think someone alive in the 70's must be "old". :rolleyes:

Maze war? Spasim? those were the first i believe.

I said "the way we think of them". Neither of those games is what we would call a First Person Shooter. Wolf3D is recognised as the first of the RO2 kind of FPS. ET was a free mod made for it. It was also one of the best FPS' ever :p

i dont try changing RTS' and RPG's into FPS' either. wow small world!

It was hyperbole. What YOU are trying to do is turn a Realistic Tactical Shooter into an Unrealistic Tactical Shooter. You are asking for the game to be modified in ways that would make it less realistic. These maps are based on real locations. How can they be modified so that they are balanced to your satisfaction while still being realistic (or authentic if you prefer)?

From there on out you went on a tangent, about how devs wanted realism but couldnt, etc etc.

I was addressing several people at once. This is not a private conversation.

Forgive me if i take that all with a grain of salt, but i dont believe you. Give me an interview with a dev back in the 80's 90's that correlates what you're saying.

Get lost. I was the target market. I saw the ads. I played the games. I'm guessing you were born in the 90's, so you wouldn't remember.

Also, you were wrong about stalingrad werent you?

I was? In what way? I've said a lot and read a lot, maybe I've missed it. Could you be more specific. What did I say about Stalingrad?

Did you read that link i gave you?

If I saw it, yes. I do that sort of thing. I believe I've been arguing with people on the internet since before you could write "internet", so I'm used to people trying to use links as "gotchas" instead of just telling us what is in them.

I suggest you read up on FPS and video game history while at it.

Where did I go wrong? I see you saying I'm wrong, but I don't see you proving it in any way. Maybe you should try making an argument instead of trying to pre-emptively declare victory.

Protip: Condense and summarize your posts; more people will be willing to read it then. Oh and ease up on the personal attacks, i didnt attack you personally...

Oh, I must say I'm surprised that someone that seems to want the game to be slower, and about thinking and planning, and all that intellectual stuff, is worried about how much I write.

Go figure.

Upvote 0
I just love how you can say "I didn't read your post, but you're still wrong" and get thumbs up from people with the same badly-supported opinions who don't want to take the time out of their lives to type them into a keyboard.

Honestly, this is just ridiculous. I will be absolutely crushed if TWI caves to the whiners and ruins the brilliance they've created. Folks like KarmakazeNZ and I go through all the trouble of articulating long, drawn out, detailed point-counterpoint arguments and you guys respond with "well, what you think is wrong because I don't like what you have to say."

As my old granny used to say, debating with someone who has abandoned logic is like giving medicine to a dead guy. No matter how good that medicine is, it isn't going to make a lick of difference.

Adapt or survive, kids. If you don't, you can expect a nice, high caliber bullet through your helmet from people who are actually taking the time to learn the game we've been presented rather than whinge about every little change on the forums.

I just got out of a game on Spartanovka where I racked up 50+ kills in all of 5 lives by playing -smart-. Between the objective points I was earning and the idiocy of the enemy team, I was able to basically hold our team's entire left flank with a single machine gun and some careful positioning.

They tried to flank, I wasn't where they expected. I killed the flanking party, repositioned, and killed the next wave as they ran out of the spawn. Between short, accurate bursts of fire from the DP (to keep them from spotting my muzzle flash or triangulating my position), a handful of bullets from my revolver, and a few grenades, I managed to be a major pain in the Axis' backside by just using my bloody grey matter. Rather than be a stubborn goat, I adapted. I'm not an uber 1337 player. I miss most of my shots. I often have trouble hitting things that are smack in front of me, and more often than once I got charged by a kraut and bayoneted in the bum as I fumbled with my controls, but I was playing smarter than they were, and every delicious helmet ping was one more victory of brains vs reflexes.

Last edited:
Reactions: SiFi and OnCrack
Upvote 0
Usually people ENJOY being good at a game.. weird, if its too easy I suggest you leave then and play something else. Go Pro since you seem to be so amazing at shooters.. lol

Try and come back in a few months when all the idiots have left for mw3 or bf3.. community should be a lot better then and hopefully we'll start having some awesome custom maps by then.. but just from how much you complain I don't want you to come back, but thats just me.. I don't want to have to ever play with you. You probably sit in chat the whole time complaining to try and get other people to agree with you.

I'm always in the top 3 every time I play, but I don't find it EASY by any means, I have to work and use tactics for my kills.

Upvote 0
I just love how you can say "I didn't read your post, but you're still wrong" and get thumbs up from people with the same badly-supported opinions who don't want to take the time out of their lives to type them into a keyboard.

If people like you and me don't take time, the silent masses that are just reading and not commenting will get an unbalanced view of the range of opinions about the game.

I like to keep pointing out that for every person complaining that something is bad, there is someone else saying it's good. I also point out that one person will be complaining that the MG is too accurate, sometimes in the same thread as someone else complaining it is not accurate enough. This usually indicates that it is spot on. When no one likes it, it's probably pretty realistic, because it isn't biased one way or the other.

I was playing smarter than they were, and every delicious helmet ping was one more victory of brains vs reflexes.

The really awesome thing is if someone uses their brains they CAN rely on reflexes to survive too.

Check my post on this thread to see what I mean:

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?p=895632&posted=1#post895632

In that post I talk about some of the psychology and physiology that I try to take advantage of when I'm running and gunning. There is so much more than what I wrote there though, and all I was talking about is my preferred method of clearing a room.

Nothing I talk about relies on game mechanics at all. It simply relies on my knowledge of human psychology and physiology... and what I was told in training :)

-

I also get a little aggressive in my defence of the game because I want to show TWI and everyone else that there is just as much passion from the people who LOVE the game as is, as there is passion from the people who HATE it. The squeaky wheel gets the most grease, and the haters are doing most of the squeaking. If we don't make just as much noise, TWI will cave to them.

I argue tactically too :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You may think you haven't but you have. I'm not saying you are doing what I'm doing, but I'm also not saying you are doing anything wrong, if you are doing fine. I was addressing people who seem to think the game mechanics prevent them from doing fine. If you don't have to even think about it and you're doing fine, then no problem.

I dont know. I just run to the nearest cap zone and prone there until my team gets there. I wouldt say i'm making any tactical calls

My question to you is define "realistic", "authentic" and "tactical", because I'm pretty sure they don't mean what you think they mean and it will be quicker to just cut to the chase. The short attention span people are getting restless.

Already said what i thought was realistic.

Authenticity essentially refers to things being genuine. Was the the mp40/II used in stalingrad? No? Then it's not authentic.

By tactical im refering to actions done careflully and deliberately with strategic mindset. Running room to room with my k98 and clearing whole buildings is not what i'd call tactical play.

See, that's what I mean. There is nothing about the maps that forces people to funnel into an area they can't use proper tactics to clear safely. The reason the game is too easy, is because people do dumb things constantly. You can't fix that in the code. The bug is in most player's brain.

Yes but you can influence them to play better. The game mechanics or RO whether or not they were realistic, forced you to slow down to a realistic pace.

It would be pretty hypocritical for me to doubt your word while asking you to take me at mine. I'm not a hypocrite. As I said, I'm not saying only I can do it, nor even really that my way is the best way. I was just saying that my way is the way that's taught to real soldiers (at least I was taught them) and they work for me. So either the game isn't the problem for those people who are doing bad, or I am some sort of FPS god. I don't believe in gods.

Ok fair enough

What I am saying is for it to be like Ostfront, it would either have to be made less realistic or the maps would have to be made so huge that you could safely manoeuvre outside the enemy's MG range, which is about 1KM.

Are you sure you want maps that are THAT big?

Well Ost Front did something right, it captured the intensity and rush of actually being shot at. One example i can bring up is the MG, in Ost Front it was terrifying, almost reminiscent of the stories that soldiers told. In RO2, half the time i dont even know its a machine gunner shooting at me, they're just as easy to take out head on as anyone else.

So we are in a dilemma here. Ost Front, by having "unrealistic" features, made the game play somewhat more realistic. With RO2 its the oposite...

No, but just about everyone else does. That's the problem. The game is boring you because you are not being challenged but the game can not challenge you, only the players can. You need the players to change, not the game. So I'm just trying to help change the players and get them thinking more tactical.

Yes and no. The game still has to be engaging to be fun. For example, i suck at counter strike, and it's very challenging for me to do well. Unfortunately i dislike counter strike, so even the challenge it presents to me is unenjoyably.

By the way, this is a public forum. You're not the only one reading my posts. They are addressed to the forum in general as well as you. Think of it like a debate. You and I are talking, but the judges are sitting quietly off to the side.

Well you were directly quoting me so forgive me if i got that impression. Regardless using your debate analogy, the judges are just mediators, you dont address them, you address me.

But what about all the screams about the MkB42 and the MP40 and the... no one has to take my word for it, they just have to read through the threads. You may not be complaining about how hard the game is, but it seems just about everyone else is. Funnily enough YOUR complaint is how EASY (caps used for emphasis because I CBF using the damn mouse) it is. Look around dude... are you surprised?

Not too sure what you meant here

Let me tell you why. From what I have been able to gather, that game was artificially biased against the kind of people who can do this stuff without thinking. The ones who just do it. It was made so people HAD to stop and think. Now that you don't have to, all those people who were owning you in RO1 are getting owned. They were being protected by the game... they weren't better than you.

Perhaps, though i wouldnt say its a bias. Its a game mechanic that you got to get used to. RO2 on the contrary feels like its holding your hand the whole time. RO was intense, yet RO2 feels like im playing COD2 again. Now let me bring in ARMA2, we can agree that its rather realistic. As you can see the pace of ARMA2 is closer to RO than it is with RO2, therefore something has gone wrong with RO2.

The game did this by artificially boosting the capabilities of the rifle while gimping everything else. The "realistic tactical shooter" wasn't actually realistic. Even TWI admitted it.

I dont know. Rifles owned at long range, and sucked up close. smg's were usless far away, but decimated at short range. Seemed right to me...

What do you mean by that? If something is authentic, it is realistic, so clearly you are using a non-standard definition. Could you tell me your definition so that we are on the same page?

No its not. Let me give a silly example to illustrate my point. Imagine if all the germans were given M16A4's. The in game m16's very accurately represented their real life counter parts; hence making them realistic. But does giving german soldiers realistic m16's make it authentic? No, they never used m16's.

Things can be authentic and realistic on their own; they are not mutual.

But have you served at all? Have you had infantry training? I have, but I have never been to war. In another thread someone who had, was not disputing that I was describing the way they were taught to do it... they just didn't agree about whether or not the game MG34 was accurately modelling the real MG34. I've never said it was perfect, just that it didn't matter. So he bowed out of the conversation.

No i havent but my brother served in the Marines, and was wounded in fallujah back in 2004. I have 2 years left before i enter as an officer as well...

Regardless, that doesnt make him a military historian.

I'm not saying A weapon, I'm saying THE weapon.

Fired an m48 (k98) and an PTR [forgot the number] (stg44 variant). Those are the only in game guns i have fired IRL.

Does the in-game gun accurately represent what it is like to fire a K98? Be reasonable, though. Compared to RO1, for example, is it more or less accurately modelled in RO2?

Yes and no. The kick feels about right so does the accuracy (that is when your firing slowly and deliberately real life), but the speed at which you shoulder it and fire accurately is over the top. That thing kicks, so when bringing up to your shoulder, it take a second to adjust it before firing; unless you want to mess up your shoulder.

The bayonet attachment also drastically reduces accuracy beyond about 125-150m. Also continually aiming down range definitly tires your muscles and affects your accuracy. this is coming from someone who did construction work and lugged 100lb concrete bags up several stories dozens of times a day...

I'm just doing what they are doing. They say the game sucks, I say they suck. It's all a matter of opinion, isn't it?

Ad hominem means attacking the person, which you were doing (to me).

Wolfenstein 3D was in the 70's?

wolf 3d was not the first fps

By the way, you just let me know quite a bit about you. Like you seem to think someone alive in the 70's must be "old". :rolleyes:

You'd be around your 40's or 50's, thats pretty old

I said "the way we think of them". Neither of those games is what we would call a First Person Shooter. Wolf3D is recognised as the first of the RO2 kind of FPS. ET was a free mod made for it. It was also one of the best FPS' ever :p

Just because you think its the first fps doesnt make is so. wolf3d just popularized fps'.

Also ET was a mod for Return to Castle Wolfenstien, not wolfenstein 3d. And yes it was arguably one of the best

It was hyperbole. What YOU are trying to do is turn a Realistic Tactical Shooter into an Unrealistic Tactical Shooter. You are asking for the game to be modified in ways that would make it less realistic. These maps are based on real locations. How can they be modified so that they are balanced to your satisfaction while still being realistic (or authentic if you prefer)?

Sprinting through a building and clearing people with k98 is not what i'd call realistic. Nor would i call the 2sec bandaging realistic. Nor engaging targets well beyone 150m after just running out of breath. I dont want this to be a simulator, but i want it to capture some of the intensity.

I was addressing several people at once. This is not a private conversation.

Looked like you were addressing me alone

Get lost. I was the target market. I saw the ads. I played the games. I'm guessing you were born in the 90's, so you wouldn't remember.

You saw ads of developers stating how they longed to make realistic games but their hardware couldnt handle it? Also, considering the target audience of wolf3d would be around 13-15yrs old, i doubt they'd be much into realistic shooters even if they had it back then.

Yeah i was born 1990. PC gaming since i was 8 though. i played wolf3d, quake, UT, half life, etc

I was? In what way? I've said a lot and read a lot, maybe I've missed it. Could you be more specific. What did I say about Stalingrad?

Something about them maneuvering units for 2 hours and having the engagement as a whole take only 10seconds or whatever

If I saw it, yes. I do that sort of thing. I believe I've been arguing with people on the internet since before you could write "internet", so I'm used to people trying to use links as "gotchas" instead of just telling us what is in them.

Makes no sense, but okay

Where did I go wrong? I see you saying I'm wrong, but I don't see you proving it in any way. Maybe you should try making an argument instead of trying to pre-emptively declare victory.

-wolf3d was not the first fps
-the developer's attempts at making a realistic shooter was not hampered by the existing technology
-the market for realistic shooters were very small back then

there

Oh, I must say I'm surprised that someone that seems to want the game to be slower, and about thinking and planning, and all that intellectual stuff, is worried about how much I write.

Go figure.

Reading a rambling post on the internet has what in common with a tactical shooter exactly?

Upvote 0
The problem is not with the players. The game dictates how the players will play. If you allow the players to affect the game in a way that is beneficial to them without punishment then that is the case.

If a game or map forces players to use certain tactics, or does not force players to be tactical at all it will be observed in gameplay. In RO2 my experience is that I can easily get top 5 by just running and gunning. I'm no hardcore RO-fan, but I was hoping for more.

Upvote 0
I dont know. I just run to the nearest cap zone and prone there until my team gets there. I wouldt say i'm making any tactical calls

The thing is, most things are pretty much common sense in that they aren't very common, but if you stop and think about it, it's not like they aren't obvious things to do.

Like not skylining yourself. You know that if someone pops up in front of you with the blue sky behind them, they are easy to shoot, so you naturally avoid doing that. You move from cover to cover as much as possible, not lingering in the open. Stuff like that.

I may be wrong, but if you aren't doing stuff like that then you are either pretty damn lucky or playing with some pretty crap opponents.

Authenticity essentially refers to things being genuine. Was the the mp40/II used in stalingrad? No? Then it's not authentic.

True. That would make it unrealistic. It is "over powered" for the time frame this game is set in and shouldn't be there. You won't find me disputing that the MkB42 shouldn't be there, but this game is and always was meant to be about mods as much as anything.

This game is set up so that it can be modified into the funnest most awesomest FPS evar! (or whatever is the current lingo) or can be as real as you want it. Want so many people describe isn't actually real, but it doesn't really matter, if they or someone else likes that style enough, they will mod the game.

By tactical im refering to actions done careflully and deliberately with strategic mindset. Running room to room with my k98 and clearing whole buildings is not what i'd call tactical play.

How do you think they did it? They REALLY didn't sit at opposite ends of 4m hallways, peaking around trying to inch out a kill, taking turns to shoot at an enemy doing the same thing.

While you were sitting there, they either threw a grenade or moved away in case you threw one. They weren't stupid, they both used the same kinds of tactics. What if the guy at the other end is just trying to distract you while someone else flanks you?

Nope, constant movement from room to room, is what the did. They had little holes all over the place in walls and little tunnels and they constantly moved around. So that the enemy never really knew how many defenders or attackers there were.

That is the strategic mindset "deny the enemy information". If you camp and snipe, you are not denying the enemy information on your location. He knows where you are, but you don't know where he is. He has won the strategic battle and will have the element of surprise, the freedom to manoeuvre, and the tactical advantage as a result.

Perhaps you could try fleshing out what you mean when you use terms like "strategic mindset". I find most people do not actually understand what they mean, and it the basis for their errors. I can explain in detail why "moving" is better than "stationary" at the strategic and tactical level. I can even explain the technological, psychological and physiological factors that underlie the reasoning.

If you want to hear it, let me know. It will be a lot.

Well Ost Front did something right, it captured the intensity and rush of actually being shot at. One example i can bring up is the MG, in Ost Front it was terrifying, almost reminiscent of the stories that soldiers told.

Which stories? The ones where they cowered at the bottom of the trench? Or the ones where they popped up and tried to fight back, or the rare ones where some absolute nutter would jump up and charge the damn thing, killing all the enemies and then coming back and yelling out for you to hurry up, he needs to take a piss?

All of those kinds of stories are told. In WWII there were millions of people fighting. It was a lot more common than you think, I bet.

In RO2, half the time i dont even know its a machine gunner shooting at me, they're just as easy to take out head on as anyone else.

It's the sound. At least for me. The audio is all wrong positionally. Close things are quiet and far things nosy a lot of the time, especially incoming bullets. An MG bullet is no more scary than the equivalent rifle bullet. They make the same noise. The difference is there is more of them.

So we are in a dilemma here. Ost Front, by having "unrealistic" features, made the game play somewhat more realistic. With RO2 its the oposite...

Actually it's because you have an unrealistic idea of real. The vast majority of soldiers were just sloggers. They didn't charge MG nests, but they didn't cower at the bottom of the foxhole. Both of those types died too quick. Natural selection kicks in and the veterans are the ones that don't take STUPID chances. They survive to become veterans by killing when they can and getting out of dodge when they can't, and they know that those other two options are deadly.

They try to tell the FNG's, but they never listen.

Unfortunately i dislike counter strike, so even the challenge it presents to me is unenjoyably

You're still not listening. If you are finding RO2 is too easy, it is because the enemy is too weak, not because the game is faulty. Changing the mechanics won't make people better, it will just make it harder for you to shoot them.

But nothing that affects you doesn't also affect them. So if it's harder for you, it's harder for them, and it will still be easy and...

See why I believe you are actually trying to bull**** me? Show me a scoreboard of you doing well, because the longer you go on, the harder I find it to believe.

Well you were directly quoting me so forgive me if i got that impression.

I'm responding to your argument, but you aren't the only one reading it. Does that make sense?

Regardless using your debate analogy, the judges are just mediators, you dont address them, you address me.

See, there you go again, trying to change the rules to suit yourself. Sorry, I do what I want. The rules don't apply to me. :p

Not too sure what you meant here

It seems pretty clear to me. I'll try again. You are saying RO2 is too easy. many many other are saying it is too hard in some respect. You are in the minority. That means most people are finding the game hard. So that means you are better than most people...

Although I'm doubting it more by the minute. You seem to have trouble following simple logic.

Perhaps, though i wouldnt say its a bias. Its a game mechanic that you got to get used to.

Pardon? Care to repeat that loudly and slowly and maybe listen to yourself?

Seriously.

RO2 on the contrary feels like its holding your hand the whole time.

In what way. You have a feeling, but what is the cause of the feeling? Do you feel like your gun has less recoil and sway than anyone else's gun? Do your bullets fly flatter and faster? What exactly about the game makes you feel so different from all the guys you are beating so easily?

RO was intense, yet RO2 feels like im playing COD2 again.

Maybe that's because RO1 was less realistic than CoD2? Did that occur to you? I'm not saying that, because I never played RO1, but CoD2 was certainly more realistic than anything called CoD today, given the differences in hardware and software.

Now let me bring in ARMA2, we can agree that its rather realistic.

Not as realistic as you would think. They can't possibly put the density or variety of cover and concealment in a game map as any real world location has.Iit's realistic for what it is trying to be, and no more. It is a combat simulator, not a tactical shooter. The difference isn't in realism, it's in the level of detail. ARMA2 wants you to feel the rest of the war around you. RO2 is trying to make a single battle as realistic as possible. The two goals require conflicting approaches because of hardware limitations.

As you can see the pace of ARMA2 is closer to RO than it is with RO2, therefore something has gone wrong with RO2.

In your opinion. You seem to be running under some extremely faulty assumptions, so your opinion is not very trustworthy.

I dont know. Rifles owned at long range, and sucked up close. smg's were usless far away, but decimated at short range. Seemed right to me..

Heh. Seemed right to a guy who has never done it. Must be right, huh? It wasn't right. TWI tested the real weapons. You are going on your gut feeling built on faulty assumptions. Why the hell would I take your word over theirs?

I know my gut feeling when I play, and I have done it in training in the army, says that this is the closest I've eves seen a game get to what you can actually do in real life. It's not perfect, but try to find something closer. RO1 isn't. The guys who made it say so.

No its not. Let me give a silly example to illustrate my point. Imagine if all the germans were given M16A4's. The in game m16's very accurately represented their real life counter parts; hence making them realistic. But does giving german soldiers realistic m16's make it authentic? No, they never used m16's.

Because the capabilities of the M16 were unrealistic given the time frame. If the Russians had AK's it would be a different war... It's a pointless argument. The weapons are realistic in that they are direct copies of real weapons. At a stretch you can say they could possibly have been there. But it doesn't bloody well matter. If you don't like it, others won;t like it and they will make maps that don't have it and have the level of realism you want.

What you are playing is the base model, but everyone knows the difference between a hotrod and a family car is the accessories. The mods will give you what you want, no matter what it is, so quit complaining. The game is hardly out of the womb and people are acting like they only have a week left to live and they need it NOW!

No i havent but my brother served in the Marines, and was wounded in fallujah back in 2004. I have 2 years left before i enter as an officer as well...

Trust me it won't be what you think it's like. Neither this game nor any other has captured even a tiny fraction of what it is really lie. This is pretty good for what it is trying to be.

Regardless, that doesnt make him a military historian.

I never said it did. I'm not, but wouldn't you **** if I was :p

Yes and no. The kick feels about right so does the accuracy (that is when your firing slowly and deliberately real life), but the speed at which you shoulder it and fire accurately is over the top.

Well, I've watched the external animations and they look like they are going in slow-mo. I've done snap shots with rifles as heavy as the K98 and it never took that long to raise it. I just assumed they had slowed it down a bit because it felt too quick, even for them. I never said it was totally real.

That thing kicks, so when bringing up to your shoulder, it take a second to adjust it before firing; unless you want to mess up your shoulder.

Or have done it so many times in so many positions that it's there most of the time without you even thinking about it. When you are expecting imminent contact, you should always be looking down your sights, even if you are turning to look behind you. No point looking, if you can't shoot. I'm pretty sure you'll be taught that too,

Maybe the Germans and Russians were dumb, but that seems to be common sense to me. Having said that, it's a game trying to appeal to a wide audience but openly calling for its audience to modify it to be exactly what they want, and promising to do as much of that as they can themselves.

You have the base. Now try to find like minded friends and turn it into what you want. Stop being selfish and expecting everything to just be handed to you. You're not the only customer.

this is coming from someone who did construction work and lugged 100lb concrete bags up several stories dozens of times a day...

It's not all about strength. It's about conditioning the muscles for the task. Soldiers do it with all sorts of exercises and by always doing it. You don't have to have strong muscles to have durable muscles.

Ad hominem means attacking the person, which you were doing (to me).

Yes, but I never said I wasn't engaging in an ad hominem argument. I simply explained why.

wolf 3d was not the first fps

The way we think of it. I said it right there beside the name.

"Wolfenstein 3D is a video game that is generally regarded by critics and gaming journalists as having both popularized the first-person shooter genre on the PC and created the basic archetype upon which all subsequent games of the same genre would be built.[1][2][3][4][5]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfenstein_3D

You only had to type the name into Google, if you didn't remember the game. Would have been a little less embarrassing. Do you always charge into situations you do not understand?

You'd be around your 40's or 50's, thats pretty old

So, how old are you? I''m guessing I'm old enough to be your father. My experience tells me younger people are often over confident of their abilities.

Just because you think its the first fps doesnt make is so. wolf3d just popularized fps'.

I said "the way we think of it". Before Wolf3D, no game had all the elements we see in every FPS since then. It was the first of the FPS' the way we think of them. It's simple English.

Also ET was a mod for Return to Castle Wolfenstien, not wolfenstein 3d. And yes it was arguably one of the best
Yeah you're right. My OLD memory fails me. It does that. Of course I AM speaking from memory... not the results of a Google search.

That's why I know ET was awesome. I was pretty good at that too :) True Combat:Elite a mod based on ET, featured a lot of the things TWI is proud of having been so strong on. For example 3D scopes, and proper ballistics. I was also good at that one. That came out before the first RO mod.

I've been playing realistic tactical shooters since before RO existed. RO2 is the best I've ever seen. My opinion of course, but it is no more or less true than anyone else's opinion. I didn't just pluck it out of thin air, though. I can defend my stance from experience. That's the only benefit from being old, I guess.

Sprinting through a building and clearing people with k98 is not what i'd call realistic.

Do you think 1/4 to 1/3 of the squad did all the work? It can be done, because they did it. They had to. A whole lot of them died trying.

Nor would i call the 2sec bandaging realistic

I wouldn't call a war with never ending supplies, but no actual infrastructure, realistic either. Most soldiers died without ever having seen an enemy. Not because they were in the thick of battle and never saw them, but because there were no such things as front lines. Artillery can reach 20km behind the "front" and air power even further. Most troops died while they were moving to the positions we start our battles at. It's not realistic but it's better than the alternative.

I'm pretty sure you don't want to be doing a 2 hour forced march under fire before the start of every round. So even you are not wanting REALISM. Not really. Close enough is good enough, even for you.

Nor engaging targets well beyone 150m after just running out of breath.

You wouldn't be running out of breath so easily either. I was unfit, but I still had to run 9KM with a full pack and webbing and weapon, then make 50m shots. A 200m runs shouldn't even make me breathe hard.

I dont want this to be a simulator, but i want it to capture some of the intensity.

One minute you want the game to slow down, the next to speed up. What else could you mean by intensity? It's not "intense" to be sitting somewhere waiting for the perfect shot. It's intense when you can't get that perfect shot and have to move to try and get it even though he's doing the same thing, rather than just waiting for another opportunity to shoot at someone.

Maybe you need to tell me what you mean by "intensity"?

Looked like you were addressing me alone

But you were confused because I was talking about things you hadn't talked about? It never occurred to you on a public forum that I may be addressing the public?

You saw ads of developers stating how they longed to make realistic games but their hardware couldnt handle it?

No, I saw the ads of developers claiming to have made the most realistic game ever... right until after they started actually getting close and the sales plummeted. Then they started talking about "balance"...

Also, considering the target audience of wolf3d would be around 13-15yrs old, i doubt they'd be much into realistic shooters even if they had it back then.

Speak for yourself. I was 18. I played it. I loved it. I was under no illusion that it was real, but knew they were trying to make it as real as they could. The entire computer back then wasn't as powerful as your phone.

Yeah i was born 1990. PC gaming since i was 8 though. i played wolf3d, quake, UT, half life, etc

Wolf3D was six years old by the time you were 8. I was 24, just old enough to be your father if your mother was a **** :p

I kid, I kid. Lighten up :)

Something about them maneuvering units for 2 hours and having the engagement as a whole take only 10seconds or whatever

You are carrying a weapon that can kill half a kilometre away, but there are weapons that can kill you much further away. You are carrying a pack and weapons and everything you will need. Plus people may shoot at you at any moment. An average unencumbered person can walk about 4KM in an hour.
Just getting from where they cant hit you to where they are, will take two hours of walking at least, in a real war.

In the urban areas of course it's not as far, but because of how dangerous it is, it's a lot slower. So on average, 2 hours is not that strange at all.

Makes no sense, but okay

I have been arguing on the internet since 1995. You would have been 5. Most people are learning to write around that age. What I am talking about is people who do things like post a link and then hope you don;t read it, then later ask if you had read it, waiting for you to say yes, so they could prove you didn't read it.

They usually use something that has nothing to do with the argument at hand, because it is just a distraction being used to spring a "gotcha" trap. What is in it is actually irrelevant. If it was relevant, you would have told us what it was anyway, so the link is just there so I can verify you haven't misunderstood your source. If I trust you I don't have to read it and you'll never know it.

So tell me, what was so important in that link that you want me to pay attention to, that you have to keep bringing it up?

-wolf3d was not the first fps

You were TWO. How would YOU know? Clearly you weren't "there" and I have shown that the industry certainly considered it that way. So how do you know what was first?

-the developer's attempts at making a realistic shooter was not hampered by the existing technology

Yeah man, our quad core GFX cards were just humming along!

Oh wait... You think YOU have performance issues? Trying tweaking DOS autoexec files to get a game to run. You have to reboot every time you change a setting... and that took a lot longer than now.

Yeah... TOO YOUNG. You should have taken the hint. I was building computers when you barely even knew what a computer was, let alone how to build one.

-the market for realistic shooters were very small back then

"Wolfenstein 3D won the 1993 Best Arcade/Action Game Software and Information Industry Association CODiE award,[17] and the 1993 Best Action/Arcade Game award for the Shareware Industry Awards.[18] It was placed in Computer Gaming World's "150 Best Games of All Time" for its 15th anniversary issue.[19]"

Sure... I believe you kid. Now run along :p

Reading a rambling post on the internet has what in common with a tactical shooter exactly?

Well, if you have the mental agility to follow long arguments without becoming confused and disoriented, you'll have the mental agility to play a tactical shooter.

Upvote 0
I couldn't care less if it was in the game or not

Praxius my friend, I love you :) Not because you make some excellent posts - which you certainly do - but because you actually said "couldn't care less" rather than "could care less", which makes no sense in the context it's used but seems to be spreading like a virus :)

Sorry that was off-topic - but I'm not sure it matters in this thread :) heh

Upvote 0
I agree with OP, entire time I played RO2, I couldn't figure out what the game wanted to be. I bought the game to have WWII war sim, and I didn't get that, maybe I was wrong and that is not what devs intended the game to to be, but that's the notion I got from the info about the game before the release.

Maps are small and bland, controls are clunky and teamwork interface is just weak, feels like a mediocre shooting game with very high weapon damage.

Upvote 0
I like a good wall of text as much as the next forumite. But even I find it excessive.

Well the problem is, as I've said in another thread, that this discussion has been reduced to absurdity. The fact of the matter is that the "realism" crowd isn't interested in realism. They don't want to accept that real combat might be fast paced, lethal, and heavily reliant on reflexes and marksmanship. They think that "realistic" combat is slow, drawn out, and very difficult.

This simply isn't the case, and they don't care that people with direct combat experience or military training are contradicting them. They will never listen to anything that runs counter to what they believe is true.

I can only hope that TWI ignores them and sticks to their guns. They've created something awesome, but like the first RO, you have to learn how to play properly before you can enjoy it.

Reactions: SiFi
Upvote 0
The thing is, most things are pretty much common sense in that they aren't very common, but if you stop and think about it, it's not like they aren't obvious things to do.

Like not skylining yourself. You know that if someone pops up in front of you with the blue sky behind them, they are easy to shoot, so you naturally avoid doing that. You move from cover to cover as much as possible, not lingering in the open. Stuff like that.

Well yes obvoiusly. The fact that i crouch down behind a barrel might be "tactical" but thats common sense. I was referring to something more in line of actual strategy, as in determining where or how to attack a building/objective

True. That would make it unrealistic. It is "over powered" for the time frame this game is set in and shouldn't be there. You won't find me disputing that the MkB42 shouldn't be there, but this game is and always was meant to be about mods as much as anything.

Agreed on mkb42. However i disagree that this game is ALL about mods. Mods plays an integral role in this series but it should not have to carry it.

How do you think they did it? They REALLY didn't sit at opposite ends of 4m hallways, peaking around trying to inch out a kill, taking turns to shoot at an enemy doing the same thing.

They certainly didnt do it alone, and if possible im sure they did it with a few guys carrying smg's. As i said i own a m48, and maneuvering that thing in a cramped hallway would be a nightmare.

While you were sitting there, they either threw a grenade or moved away in case you threw one. They weren't stupid, they both used the same kinds of tactics. What if the guy at the other end is just trying to distract you while someone else flanks you?

Yes that makes sense, unfortunately that doesnt happen in the game. As i said, i just run through it blasting everyone with my rifle; if i want to be reeeeeeally tactical i let go of "w" and maybe play around with the strafe keys

Nope, constant movement from room to room, is what the did. They had little holes all over the place in walls and little tunnels and they constantly moved around. So that the enemy never really knew how many defenders or attackers there were.

Except it didnt take 10sec to clear a whole building, which is another issue i have with this game. Nothing is ever contested. Run through, kill everyone, and thats it; its clear.

That is the strategic mindset "deny the enemy information". If you camp and snipe, you are not denying the enemy information on your location.

I dont camp and snipe, i run through with my k98; i think i've said this already

Which stories? The ones where they cowered at the bottom of the trench? Or the ones where they popped up and tried to fight back, or the rare ones where some absolute nutter would jump up and charge the damn thing, killing all the enemies and then coming back and yelling out for you to hurry up, he needs to take a piss?

the stories of how terrifyingly effective mg emplacements were?...are we on the same page here?

It's the sound. At least for me. The audio is all wrong positionally. Close things are quiet and far things nosy a lot of the time, especially incoming bullets. An MG bullet is no more scary than the equivalent rifle bullet. They make the same noise. The difference is there is more of them.

Perhaps, but i was actually referring to how well the modeled the effectiveness of an mg, not its representation. As it stands, mg's emplacements are no more terrifying than that guy with the rifle.

Actually it's because you have an unrealistic idea of real. The vast majority of soldiers were just sloggers. They didn't charge MG nests, but they didn't cower at the bottom of the foxhole. Both of those types died too quick. Natural selection kicks in and the veterans are the ones that don't take STUPID chances. They survive to become veterans by killing when they can and getting out of dodge when they can't, and they know that those other two options are deadly.

Just because you're a veteran doesnt mean you'd moronically charge an mg nest head on. You would likely use common sense and try to either bypass it or hit it from its flanks

You're still not listening. If you are finding RO2 is too easy, it is because the enemy is too weak, not because the game is faulty. Changing the mechanics won't make people better, it will just make it harder for you to shoot them.

Hence making it more challenging. I wouldnt say RO2 is any closer to reality as well. I'm sure if it was this easy to nail people during a firefight, we'd have only sent 10 people into iraq/afghanistan. Here is a link documenting just how many rounds of ammunition it takes to kill a single insurgent in iraq today (and the weapons are hands down much more effective now than they were back then)

http://www.globalsecurity.org/org/news/2005/050925-israel-bullets.htm

spoiler: it takes 250,000 rounds for every confirmed kill

See why I believe you are actually trying to bull**** me? Show me a scoreboard of you doing well, because the longer you go on, the harder I find it to believe.

Here you go. Bolts only as the attacker, 2nd place (russian side).

http://postimage.org/image/59ugvpk4/full/

I'm responding to your argument, but you aren't the only one reading it. Does that make sense?

No

See, there you go again, trying to change the rules to suit yourself. Sorry, I do what I want. The rules don't apply to me. :p

I've been on the debate team, and i've never addressed the judes before.

It seems pretty clear to me. I'll try again. You are saying RO2 is too easy. many many other are saying it is too hard in some respect. You are in the minority. That means most people are finding the game hard. So that means you are better than most people...

I may be in the minority because this game was created largely to appeal to a wider audience. For most people this is their first tactical shooter. The majority does not dictate what is right; some time ago, a majority of people thought the earth was flat...

Although I'm doubting it more by the minute. You seem to have trouble following simple logic.

Boom. here we go with the ad hominems

Pardon? Care to repeat that loudly and slowly and maybe listen to yourself?

Games have mechanics for you to get used to. No game behaves the same way.

In what way. You have a feeling, but what is the cause of the feeling? Do you feel like your gun has less recoil and sway than anyone else's gun? Do your bullets fly flatter and faster? What exactly about the game makes you feel so different from all the guys you are beating so easily?

A combination of things that make the game feel less challenging and rewarding in general. Things which have been mentioned before...

Maybe that's because RO1 was less realistic than CoD2? Did that occur to you? I'm not saying that, because I never played RO1, but CoD2 was certainly more realistic than anything called CoD today, given the differences in hardware and software.

I dont think so. RO blew COD2 out of the water in terms of realism

Not as realistic as you would think. They can't possibly put the density or variety of cover and concealment in a game map as any real world location has.Iit's realistic for what it is trying to be, and no more. It is a combat simulator, not a tactical shooter. The difference isn't in realism, it's in the level of detail. ARMA2 wants you to feel the rest of the war around you. RO2 is trying to make a single battle as realistic as possible. The two goals require conflicting approaches because of hardware limitations.

ARMA 2 is "rather" realistic. keyword "rather"...i know its not completely realistic. But if my brother gave a slight nod to it, i know its realistic enough.

In your opinion. You seem to be running under some extremely faulty assumptions, so your opinion is not very trustworthy.

I'm curious to know what my faulty assumptions were.

Heh. Seemed right to a guy who has never done it. Must be right, huh? It wasn't right. TWI tested the real weapons. You are going on your gut feeling built on faulty assumptions. Why the hell would I take your word over theirs?

Never done what? fire weapons? I have done that like i said before. Rifles, shotguns, handguns, assault rifles, SMG's, machine pistols, and even fired an AT4.

If you were referring the fact that i've never shot at a live target or engaged in a combat operation, then you are correct; i have never shot at or killed anyone. Have you? Has TWI?

I know my gut feeling when I play, and I have done it in training in the army, says that this is the closest I've eves seen a game get to what you can actually do in real life. It's not perfect, but try to find something closer. RO1 isn't. The guys who made it say so.

I find this pretty funny. Ok.

I'd rather take my brother's word for it,someone who was in an actual combat environment, than yours. He doenst live with us, but i had him try out RO2 on my steam account for a few hours today, and asked him what he thought.

He said you might as well be playing Battlefield, that is about how realistic it is. Granted he was probably over exaggerating but that a pretty clear indicatoin of how realistic it is.

Because the capabilities of the M16 were unrealistic given the time frame. If the Russians had AK's it would be a different war... It's a pointless argument. The weapons are realistic in that they are direct copies of real weapons. At a stretch you can say they could possibly have been there. But it doesn't bloody well matter. If you don't like it, others won;t like it and they will make maps that don't have it and have the level of realism you want.

No you completely missed my point. I defined what authentic is and what realism is in this conext; from here on out that is how they are used. Any argument about them now is just a matter of semantics.

What you are playing is the base model, but everyone knows the difference between a hotrod and a family car is the accessories. The mods will give you what you want, no matter what it is, so quit complaining. The game is hardly out of the womb and people are acting like they only have a week left to live and they need it NOW!

Im not complaining anymore than you are. I thought you were equating this to a debate, is this what you do during a debate? Tell your opponent to quite complaining? Of course mods will fix it, but they shouldnt have had to.

Trust me it won't be what you think it's like. Neither this game nor any other has captured even a tiny fraction of what it is really lie. This is pretty good for what it is trying to be.

I dont doubt you. I'm not going infantry anyway, i'm taking the aviation route. I already have a guaranteed spot the at the flight school in Pensacola

I never said it did. I'm not, but wouldn't you **** if I was :p

so obviously first hand experience is not the only way to gain knowledge in a certain field.

Well, I've watched the external animations and they look like they are going in slow-mo. I've done snap shots with rifles as heavy as the K98 and it never took that long to raise it. I just assumed they had slowed it down a bit because it felt too quick, even for them. I never said it was totally real.

Too many variable here. How far was the target? Was it moving? How large was the round you fired? Did you hit it?

I can bring the rifle to my shoulder in less than a second, but its not properly seated yet. Shooting while at that position would not only make my shot innacurate but also hurt my shoulder.

Or have done it so many times in so many positions that it's there most of the time without you even thinking about it. When you are expecting imminent contact, you should always be looking down your sights, even if you are turning to look behind you. No point looking, if you can't shoot. I'm pretty sure you'll be taught that too,

Maybe the Germans and Russians were dumb, but that seems to be common sense to me. Having said that, it's a game trying to appeal to a wide audience but openly calling for its audience to modify it to be exactly what they want, and promising to do as much of that as they can themselves.

Muscle memory will only take you so far. Sure i can reload the weapons i use most frequently with out even looking at the gun, but things like snap shooting takes years of training and talent.

Yeah i'm somewhat familiar with expert weapon tactics, not as much as you im sure (not being sarcastic). My friends father headed the swat team here, and ive done some tactical runs with them. Both eyes open, Round corners, slice the pie, yada yada...

I'd never dare doing that with my k98 though.

You have the base. Now try to find like minded friends and turn it into what you want. Stop being selfish and expecting everything to just be handed to you. You're not the only customer.

We shouldnt have had to. It should have been accommodating since the start. You guys should have modded it into what you wanted...

But we are...

It's not all about strength. It's about conditioning the muscles for the task. Soldiers do it with all sorts of exercises and by always doing it. You don't have to have strong muscles to have durable muscles.

True, but without wanting to sound like a douche i feel like my muscles are conditioned well enough. I agree, explosive and endurance strength is different. And while i've always been about explosive power, my endurance is not far behind. Also considering i fire weapons practically 2-3 times a week, my body is used to being in firing position.

Yes, but I never said I wasn't engaging in an ad hominem argument. I simply explained why.

You were still doing it

The way we think of it. I said it right there beside the name.

Doesnt matter what you think, facts are facts

You only had to type the name into Google, if you didn't remember the game. Would have been a little less embarrassing. Do you always charge into situations you do not understand?

lol wut?

Funny Coming from a guy who thought ET was a mod for wolf3d. why didnt you google that?

So, how old are you? I''m guessing I'm old enough to be your father. My experience tells me younger people are often over confident of their abilities.

I said "the way we think of it". Before Wolf3D, no game had all the elements we see in every FPS since then. It was the first of the FPS' the way we think of them. It's simple English.

Again it doesnt matter what you think. wolf3d was a collection of innovations from other early predecessors. It didnt out right create fps gaming overnight

Yeah you're right. My OLD memory fails me. It does that. Of course I AM speaking from memory... not the results of a Google search.

sure whatever

I've been playing realistic tactical shooters since before RO existed. RO2 is the best I've ever seen. My opinion of course, but it is no more or less true than anyone else's opinion. I didn't just pluck it out of thin air, though. I can defend my stance from experience. That's the only benefit from being old, I guess.

And social security/retirment benefits

Do you think 1/4 to 1/3 of the squad did all the work? It can be done, because they did it. They had to. A whole lot of them died trying.

No they all worked, but each of them did different work

I wouldn't call a war with never ending supplies, but no actual infrastructure, realistic either. Most soldiers died without ever having seen an enemy. Not because they were in the thick of battle and never saw them, but because there were no such things as front lines. Artillery can reach 20km behind the "front" and air power even further. Most troops died while they were moving to the positions we start our battles at. It's not realistic but it's better than the alternative.

Not even related to what i was talking about, but thanks for the info.

I'm pretty sure you don't want to be doing a 2 hour forced march under fire before the start of every round. So even you are not wanting REALISM. Not really. Close enough is good enough, even for you.

Yes because the only way we can have realism is by going over the top and modelling the actual socio-economic struggles of the time.

No you're right we should have a game where you go out on patrol for 2 hours, and not encounter a single enemy. come back stand in line at the mess hall for 45min, eat, and return to your bunk. sleep for 9 hours in real time...

dude seriously?

You wouldn't be running out of breath so easily either. I was unfit, but I still had to run 9KM with a full pack and webbing and weapon, then make 50m shots. A 200m runs shouldn't even make me breathe hard.

Running and sprinting are 2 different things. in the game you're sprinting to the point where you lack the physical energy and the oxygen to do anymore than jog.

One minute you want the game to slow down, the next to speed up. What else could you mean by intensity? It's not "intense" to be sitting somewhere waiting for the perfect shot. It's intense when you can't get that perfect shot and have to move to try and get it even though he's doing the same thing, rather than just waiting for another opportunity to shoot at someone.

Speed has nothing to do with intensity, if that wasnt apparent already. I've gotten more of rush from crawling through the mud on my stomach for 10min in DH, than i have with all this instant killing in RO2.

Some of that rush might be attributed to the fact that kills were so hard to get in Ost Front that you did NOT want to miss your chance or screw up. My heart would start beating everytime i would line up the sights on an enemy; felt like the first time i shot a buck.

But you were confused because I was talking about things you hadn't talked about? It never occurred to you on a public forum that I may be addressing the public?

no

No, I saw the ads of developers claiming to have made the most realistic game ever... right until after they started actually getting close and the sales plummeted. Then they started talking about "balance"...

lol yeah wolf3d was so realistic. even then we knew it wasnt, and they would be stupid to even attempt to advertise it as such

Speak for yourself. I was 18. I played it. I loved it. I was under no illusion that it was real, but knew they were trying to make it as real as they could. The entire computer back then wasn't as powerful as your phone.

Yes slavering hordes of undead nazis and hitler in a mech suit was the studios attempt to engage in realism

So tell me, what was so important in that link that you want me to pay attention to, that you have to keep bringing it up?

i brought it up once. It had info about the stalingrad battle.

You were TWO. How would YOU know? Clearly you weren't "there" and I have shown that the industry certainly considered it that way. So how do you know what was first?

YOu do realise this stuff is documented correct? Maze war and spasim are the 2 earliest ones

Yeah man, our quad core GFX cards were just humming along!

Oh wait... You think YOU have performance issues? Trying tweaking DOS autoexec files to get a game to run. You have to reboot every time you change a setting... and that took a lot longer than now.

Yeah im sure they built games back then to utilize the quad core machine as well as other hypothetical alien computers.

Yeah... TOO YOUNG. You should have taken the hint. I was building computers when you barely even knew what a computer was, let alone how to build one.

Thats probably true, as you're much older than me. But i build computers now. In fact i just finished building 4 PC for a small business 2 days ago.

You mind giving me an example of one of your builds back in the 90's?

"Wolfenstein 3D won the 1993 Best Arcade/Action Game Software and Information Industry Association CODiE award,[17] and the 1993 Best Action/Arcade Game award for the Shareware Industry Awards.[18] It was placed in Computer Gaming World's "150 Best Games of All Time" for its 15th anniversary issue.[19]"

Sure... I believe you kid. Now run along :p

what does this have to do with the market share being small for realistic fps'? Please dont tell me you consider wolf3d to be a realistic shooter?

Yeah i remember quake was used as a training tool for the military as well... -_-

Well, if you have the mental agility to follow long arguments without becoming confused and disoriented, you'll have the mental agility to play a tactical shooter.

yes i do posses the mental "agility" to parse long arguments. Whether or not i want to is another thing. Especially one that tends to miss point and lead itself into a tangent.

Look this isnt going anywhere. and honestly it took me like an hour to type this up, something i really dont want to do again.

You win. good game. congrats. lets just leave it at that

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.