• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The netcode.

gonzman said:
and the bonus is when you click you shoot, and you will kill the enemy that way without waiting for lag to catch up. This is more realistic.
so your lagged by a second, you shoot me, but on my screen im allready around the corner and into the building and behind a turned over table.... and i die.
how the HELL is that fair?

at the moment with current internet tech its just unrealistic to expect to able to play decently on a server HALF WAY AROUND THE WORLD!

i can see how prediction would be able to handle players with 200 or 300 ms pings maybe but anything above that and things WILL start to get wierd.
the moment a high ping player enters the server your on, strange things will start to happen and the gameplay is completely changed if not ruined for everybody on that server.

when i play on a server anywhere in europe its pretty rare to see ppl have a ping higher then 120 anyway. anything above 200 and i'm tempted to tell them they have a connection problem.
i know there arent a lot of server in australia ect, but that dusnt mean we should ruin the fun of all the ppl in europe and north america who have normal pings just to accomadate you.

as 98% of people who play on-line regularly have a 'lower ping system' being baised towards them is just fine with me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hyperion2010 said:
More bandwidth = less colisions, add that with faster speed and larger packet size and you get lower pings. Larger packet size means more information per server tick, therefore the more detailed the server client communication can be...

Ping is a measure of a packet's RTT (round trip time). It has absolutely nothing to do with packet size. In fact, if the netcode uses a standard ICMP ECHO_REQUEST packet to get the ping rate it's only a 56 byte packet while an ethernet packet is 1500 bytes. Packets are not going to be larger than 1500 bytes no matter what the ping is. More bandwidth just means more packets/second can be delivered. Are you arguing that it's better to get more data later than to get the newest data as soon as possible? If so I'll play you all day. You can have extremely detailed data of where I WAS while I move to a new location.

Upvote 0
i still wonder when company's are gonna use the bittorent structure to send data faster to clients and releif stress from the servers. Bittorent does the following:
Server send data to person---> persons ends data to the next person etc etc. That way it changes into a spider web. Ofcourse ppl would only get it from some1 else if it would be faster then directly from the server. That way ppl could probably get a better ping duno if it works, just a idea of my twisted little mind:)

Upvote 0
Duiveltje said:
Server send data to person---> persons ends data to the next person etc etc.
but who will decide who's right?
the nice thing about having the server is that its a unbiased and always has the last word. its the one with all the data, and as realtime as possible.
you'll know if your dead or not as soon as you recieve word from the server.
with your system one system might send you data your not dead and another send you data that you are.

Upvote 0
gonzman said:
Believe me I know how many people dislike it, but it is far better than what the UT engine has now.

I can go into a forign server in say DoD with a 350 ping and have a reasonable game and score fairly well, can't do that in RO unfortunately.
]

Bull****. I'm from europe, and played RO competatively with a US based clan, and i'm not the only one. The same clan had a member from Australia. Even so, with the 'high pings' that I have on american servers I can win, and so could Dogsoldier (who was from australia). Its all about what you're used to, I guess. Play on higher pinged servers more, If you dont, then you dont need a "better" netcode. If you do, you'll still be able to play, me and others are proof of that.

Upvote 0
Using a prediction system that isnt linked to rendering is a bad bad bad idea, and ATM I think that it is just too cpu intensive to be worth it, packet loss also means bad things happen...

In response to packet size. I understand (and previously stated) that packet size has nothing to do with ping. However, if you can send more information at the same ping then the smothness of play in increase dramatically becuase other players' positions could be tracked and info sent in a maner that would prevent the "poof, smg in your face" type of problem and also reduce the embalance between players with differnet pings...

Upvote 0
Well, most likely, no amount of netcode tweeking can improve gameplay to a realistic level... the network structer just cant do it at this time. As much as I wish for it, just aint going to happen any time soon.

The problem with the enemies popping around corner's was mostly based on the fact that some netcode changes were made (as best as they could as a mod that is) Even a low ping player will experience this, so I do hope its fixed in RO:O.

I have not played much online with a source game (dont like cs:s, or that type of fast gameplay) so I dont have much experience on the "prediction" netcode...

So time will tell how things work out.

Shadehunter

Upvote 0
The_Countess said:
but seriusly... a 350 ping? what are you? on dialup in australia trying to connect to a euro server?
from europe to west coast USA is 200ms at most for me.
and with anything sub 120 i dont even really notis much difference (exept a bit with the rifle, had to take more lead on the target)

a 350ms player is basicly laged out as far as im concernd and can make all sorts of strange things happen
My thoughts as well. To the thread starter gonzman; You might want to change your ISP as some dont deliver as good pings as others. Also you might want to try buying a separate ethernet card. In my experience using an ethernet card rather than the built in ethernet on your computer nearly cut ping times in half for me.

Upvote 0