• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2 The "myth" of german bias

I conducted an experiment on team-stacking previously and actually got the numbers for about 3 dozen games.

My results were as follows:
-Team (or specifically, Axis-stacking) did not occur as frequently on normal TE servers going by map rotations. Regardless of the map, players were more willing to balance the teams and have fair games despite a preference for either side. Players that did have a preference would often switch after each round and the teams would accordingly re-balance with new players.

-On Campaign servers, I found that Axis won approximately 75% of overall games, with Allies winning only 1 out of about 5 full campaigns. Most maps would, in fact, become steamrolls whenever Axis chose to go on offense (as any sensible team would) due to the discrepancy in ticket counts caused by the Campaign settings. Players were also more willing to pick a preferred side since the option to switch is not often available, and as such, one side would always become 'stacked' either numerically or by more skilled players. This is almost always Axis, however I have also had this occur on specific Russian servers for Soviets.

To conclude:

While players will always have a preference for a certain team, weapon or map, the best means of avoiding any team-'stacking' is to just avoid Campaign servers entirely, as they tend to promote a stacking behavior. Stacking may still occur in basic map-rotation servers, but this is usually the product of the map balance itself, not the preference or impartial feelings towards a particular side. Team-stacking is a very real issue, but in most cases it can be avoided.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Defending is pretty easy on some maps tbh. Especially if you place even one MG at certain locations the game turns into just another meat grinder.

Indeed, setting up your MG so you can't be shot at or people do not notice you and you kill off any reinforcement running towards the cap, you accelerate the ticket drop considerably.

Iwo Jima's first objectives offer nice flank positions for MGers, most Yanks believe they are getting shot from the hills above, but you are actually very close.

Kwajalein offers flanks also offer great opportunities for MGers. You can use them to cut down the entire team running to the objectives. Both defenders and attackers.

RedOctober Factory often has A's left (defenders' right) flank attacked, set up an MG so you can kill them all standing at the wall there, you are king.

MG's with scopes on Peleliu best set up in the concrete building (C objective) and waste the attacking US from afar.

StalingradKessel1943, set up an MG on the left flank of warehouses, the one with the blast doors and you can cut down all reinforcements running in there.
Right flank's staircase also offers a beautiful opportunity to shoot them up.

As an attacker, if you quickly make it for the second floor you can set up MGs, killing the incoming reinforcements.

Upvote 0
I conducted an experiment on team-stacking previously and actually got the numbers for about 3 dozen games.

-Team (or specifically, Axis-stacking) did not occur as frequently on normal TE servers going by map rotations. Regardless of the map, players were more willing to balance the teams and have fair games despite a preference for either side. Players that did have a preference would often switch after each round and the teams would accordingly re-balance with new players.

-On Campaign servers, I found that Axis won approximately 75% of overall games, with Allies winning only 1 out of about 5 full campaigns. Most maps would, in fact, become steamrolls whenever Axis chose to go on offense (as any sensible team would) due to the discrepancy in ticket counts caused by the Campaign settings. Players were also more willing to pick a preferred side since the option to switch is not often available, and as such, one side would always become 'stacked' either numerically or by more skilled players. This is almost always Axis, however I have also had this occur on specific Russian servers for Soviets.

To conclude:

While players will always have a preference for a certain team, weapon or map, the best means of avoiding any team-'stacking' is to just avoid Campaign servers entirely, as they tend to promote a stacking behavior. Stacking may still occur in basic map-rotation servers, but this is usually the product of the map balance itself, not the preference or impartial feelings towards a particular side. Team-stacking is a very real issue, but in most cases it can be avoided.

That's pretty much how I experience it as well, Campaign servers are a lot worse but if you're on any decent team objective servers the teams will more or less balance themselves out.
I used to play german most of the time as well because I like to play native voices and I understand the German but lately I've been playing only Russian and even though the good faction weapons change (SVT-40 and PPSH-41 instead of MG-34/42 and MKB) I'm having a great time. And I'm learning a lot of new spots. And I see a lot of people changing to the weaker team during map changes so I know other people balance it out as well on the team objective servers.

Upvote 0
Well, it was really noticeable during the first few months after release. I'd say that 90% percent of my auto-join attempts lead to me joining the tavarishes.
And for some reason the racist idiots always played as Germans. :p

Generally, I find that you are more likely to get the Call of Duty VOIP experience on the Axis team (generally horrible people saying generally horrible things), which was one of the main reasons I play Soviets almost exclusively (when there is a clear Allies Stack, I go fascist). That is not to say that this is always the case with the Axis side, or never the case with the Soviet Side. One thing I love about this game is the general level of maturity of most players, but it does still break down from time to time.

Allies, I have noticed, are more likely to have a self-appointed DJ on their side, and that gets tedious as all hell. I would prefer that, however, to the ranting right-wing nutbag that you tend to see on the Axis side (I wonder why...) When they are speaking publicly, I like to be on the other side, as hunting these fools is better than any reward steam can come up with.

Upvote 0
Team-stacking is a very real issue, but in most cases it can be avoided.

Unfortunately campaign servers are really the only ones left and the stacking is just getting worse. Had a game just the other night on bridges, score of the top player on allies was still below 80% of the axis team and MGs were spawncamping on every point. What are you supposed to do in a situation like that?

Upvote 0
Generally, I find that you are more likely to get the Call of Duty VOIP experience on the Axis team (generally horrible people saying generally horrible things), which was one of the main reasons I play Soviets almost exclusively (when there is a clear Allies Stack, I go fascist). That is not to say that this is always the case with the Axis side, or never the case with the Soviet Side. One thing I love about this game is the general level of maturity of most players, but it does still break down from time to time.

Allies, I have noticed, are more likely to have a self-appointed DJ on their side, and that gets tedious as all hell. I would prefer that, however, to the ranting right-wing nutbag that you tend to see on the Axis side (I wonder why...) When they are speaking publicly, I like to be on the other side, as hunting these fools is better than any reward steam can come up with.

Could it be you are playing on the wrong servers? We from 40-1 encounter racist thugs on either side and they are banned within a heartbeat. Just like anyone bragging about war crimes, there is no difference in "Burn the Jews!" or "We will rape their women to death once we are in Germany!", both is sick, will not be tolerated and gets banned. So come join a 40-1 server and see for yourself. :)

Upvote 0

To conclude:

I have a feeling this happens for RS maps as well. I can count on one hand the amount of times I've won an RS campaign :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Could it be you are playing on the wrong servers? We from 40-1 encounter racist thugs on either side and they are banned within a heartbeat. Just like anyone bragging about war crimes, there is no difference in "Burn the Jews!" or "We will rape their women to death once we are in Germany!", both is sick, will not be tolerated and gets banned. So come join a 40-1 server and see for yourself. :)

I am not necessarily talking about the people who rave on about explicitly pro-Nazi stuff. I find that the trolls I encounter today are usually going on about killing Muslims. You know, because Islamophobia is todays 'acceptable' racism. I find them in servers that have anti-racism rules, and generally, yes, they love playing Axis. 40-1 is good, and I do enjoy it. It is professional, and, I believe North America based, so win-win for me.

Anyway, none of this is really pertinent to the Axis Stacking controversy. It is just one of my personal reasons for playing Soviet with heavy preference. Ill take the guy who is constantly playing North Korean marches over the guy who sounds like he is trying to do amateur Glenn Beck any day of the week. And that's often what it comes down to when ****ty people are haunting the servers.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately campaign servers are really the only ones left and the stacking is just getting worse. Had a game just the other night on bridges, score of the top player on allies was still below 80% of the axis team and MGs were spawncamping on every point. What are you supposed to do in a situation like that?

Believe me, I would love nothing more than for all servers to switch from Campaign to regular TE Realism/Custom.

Campaign servers are just so horrible. Having to wait for map selection; getting stuck on one team for 3-7 games; obvious team-stacking.

It baffles me how many servers still run Campaign mode and are half-full with bots, while 2.fjg and 27ID are always full since bots are off and Campaign is off.
I won't even touch a bot or Campaign server. I'd rather wait for 2fjg to show 63/64 in the browser.

Last edited:
Upvote 0