• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The maps of Red Orchestra 2 are real places?

All of the official maps (and many of the custom maps) are based on real places.

Spartanovka is definitely a real place, however, the game map has been embellished a bit. Spartanovka is a small village north of Stalingrad, just north of the Tractor factory. It is much larger now than it was during the war.

If you're looking for the town hall as a reference, you'll actually find it in Smolensk instead of Spartanovka.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
All that clear effort on map design and layout in RO2:HoS is evident and noteworthy.

The comparatively little effort into map balance on the other hand is obvious and shocking. It is clear that significantly more effort on balance went into Rising Storm than HoS, but that knowledge has unfortunately not been applied retrospectively.

Upvote 0
another notch in TWI's cap!
you guys do know that they went to Volgograd and studied what they were about to turn into reality, right? seems to me I remember, and I might be wrong, they were the first to do so, before producing a game about the war in Stalingrad. I can only imagine the excitement they felt as they walked through fallen fighters square or toured the grain elevator. 9th of January square? Pavlovs house? Red Oktober Faktory? Mamayev? must have been the WW2 historical/research trip of a lifetime! I am so envious. :eek:

p.s. as far as Spetz's complaining about map balance, I guess that's in the eye of the beholder. try the Russians next time. maybe you'll win.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
another notch in TWI's cap!
you guys do know that they went to Volgograd and studied what they were about to turn into reality, right? seems to me I remember, and I might be wrong, they were the first to do so, before producing a game about the war in Stalingrad. I can only imagine the excitement they felt as they walked through fallen fighters square or toured the grain elevator. 9th of January square? Pavlovs house? Red Oktober Faktory? Mamayev? must have been the WW2 historical/research trip of a lifetime! I am so envious. :eek:

p.s. as far as Spetz's whining on map balance, I guess that's in the eye of the beholder. try the Russians next time. maybe you'll win.

I could give a limb to tour these sights. Map balance complaints from both sides of the fence fill these forums. Just play the game...

Upvote 0