• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Killing Floor story so far...

liamtranzig

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 28, 2015
St. Louis, Missouri
I'm working on a little level text & wanna make sure I've got the key elements of the original game story down correctly.

Kevin Clamly (Spelling?; aka: the Patriarch) worked for Horizon Technologies (a biogenetic advancement & "non-public" military technology developer). At some point - Kevin looses his mind and, using Horizon tech & stolen company equipment/finances, creates his "children"- the Zeds. As part of his world-genocide plan, Kevin mutates, modifies, & clones himself while creating hundreds upon thousands of "children" -which he then distributes throughout Europe (& farther East) using transport train lines.

We, the players, play as a "professional" mercenary squad formed from survivors & x-military personel that are fianced by Horizon Technologies to investigate the origins of the mishandling of Horizon Tech (KF1) & later the extermination of the misapproptiated genetic tech (ie: the Zeds; KF2).

Have I got that right?

That's mostly right. The company's name is actually Horzine.
In KF1 most maps had their own background story, and they were not very cohesive, but if you work out which official maps were canon to the main story, then it's pretty much what you described. It also appears that Clamely lost his mind over some time, and his scientists kept working for him for some time until his madness was obvious and they left off. Also originally the government had some involvement into the research of the perfect soldier.

Upvote 0
Characters like Alberts and Mr. Foster were in the first game. They were part of the first responders to the outbreak when it happened in England. The objective there was to stabilize the region and wern't hired by horzine. Some of the characters were military but Alberts and Foster were vigilantes wanting to to take back their home.

Also you can't forget cloning. The zeds are clones, which is why there are so many of them. In end of the line we saw that Kevin cloned himself making multiple patriarchs. I'm not sure if Hans cloned himself or if canonically he only dies once.

Upvote 0
You've got some details wrong :( The zeds were not created by Kevin Clamely in a moment of madness - it was the government that actually wanted Horzine (of which Kevin was the CEO) to create the perfect soldier

The killing floor wiki has some of the lore in it. The patriarch's page (http://kf-wiki.com/wiki/Patriarch), specifically the Background section, talks about Horzine and the Zed project

Whilst in KF1 the players we play as are pretty much survivors (or enforcers, as someone said earlier in the thread), in KF2 there are heavy hints that the remnants of Horzine Biotech have actually hired people willing to fight against the Zed menace.

Some of the equipment and the skills we get while leveling up are also Horzine's own work : Regeneration and Vampire specifically mention Horzine nano-bots, whilst the Eviscerator was made by Horzine engineers

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Few points you may want to revise/think about: -
- Kevin Clamely was CEO of Horzine Biotech Ltd, the company actually belonged to him.
- The gorefast/bloat/crawler/stalker/husk/Scrake/Fleshpound were expendable super human soldier projects, which Kevin and his team of scientists were contracted to create by the government. The clot and siren were the product of Kevin's tragedy in his personal life (such as the death of his son).
- KF2 now works towards the Mother Clot principle, so all other Zeds are derived from the clot. Thus making the above point outdated and obsolete.
- The outbreak was initially in West London, then spread across the UK. Their release was a reactionary measure for the attempted destruction of Kevin's creations. Eventually the zeds made their way to Europe, presumably with the help of Hans Volter.
- The KF1 survivors were members of the Disaster Response Force, who were decimated on day 1 of the outbreak. Later on other civilian/military survivors had to take up the fight as well. In KF2, these survivors are NOW mercenaries employed by the new owner of Hrozine to clean up the mess.
- The new weapons are provided by Horzine Biotech, the trader pods are loaded with nano machines that can be crafted into weapons and materials for use fighting zeds.

Sadly nowadays I'm starting to get fact crossed with fiction where I looked so heavily into the KF story. I think most of that is right.

Upvote 0
Here is what i have researched. First off, these games takes place between 2008 & 2009. Yes i know hard to believe.

Kevin Clamely, Husband, Father, & CEO of Horzine Biotech, was a dude hired to "conduct top secret genetic experiments" for the government, who obviously helped fund his work. With this money he was able to make new laboratory in various locations and test out zeds and junk. He was able to use the Clot as the original specimen and base the foundation on which they can build bigger and better zeds. Not only did they work on their super soldier project, they have created other such things as weapons and their own trademarked Mark 7 suit.

The first zed outbreak happened during a protest/riot at the front of Horzine's West London Office (Constable Briar is present at this time) due to the fact that Horzine was to cease all work but continued to work on the down low. The zeds escaped the "Biotics" labs and slaughtered everyone. This is when the Military shows up. Sadly a majority of them were killed, as were the zeds. Any surviving soldiers or civilian ran to hide in buildings (ex: Reverend Albert's Church in West London). Kevin didn't enjoy his kids being killed one bit, and decided to inject (same treatment as Thorne) and fuse himself with his zed's powers (Charge from Gorefast/Scrake, Cloaking from Stalker, and Chaingun from Fleshpound?). He either clones himself as a monster, or makes a Patriarch and clones that, which then Kevin runs to the other various locations for some months were he has his experiments hiding.
After releasing all zeds from his UK location, he goes into the Metro underground where he continues to free other zeds from the other locations through out the continent. Rachel tries her best to stop her father, only to discover that there is more then 1 Patriarch.

Other notes i find interesting to the lore (everything is taken from what ever reappears in KF2, and content from the Level Up Update and before)
- Corporal Lewis's commanding officer was killed by a Gorefast.
- DJ Scully's first zed was the Fleshpound.
- The DOSH currency most likely does not exist and is only made to simplify the need of removing the multiple different regional currency and pricing.
- Stalkers were first made in Horzine Research Bunker 6 (Wyre)
- Husk were first made in Horzine Science and Steel (aka Foundry), where Aldridge worked. Husk were released 5 months after the first outbreak.
- In KF1, there was technically no apocalypse since the government is paying anyone who can kill zeds. This is where the civilians (ex: Mr. Foster) and the Trader come in. The British pound was still worth something.
- Apparently, Police Davin is actually a old guy.
- Security Officer Thorne is the only other human to undergo a zed test (the other is Kevin himself, which he probably tested on Thorne before doing it to himself).
- Now im speculating here but...
Kevin, Rachel and the Horzine soldiers (Wilkes & Throne) are apparently all from America.)
- It is believe that Lieutenant Masterson is the only successful specimen from this project:
"It's unclear how this man rose through the ranks so quickly; his prior military service seems virtually nonexistant. One thing that's clear is that he's a man of few words, and has an unnaturally calm demeanour in combat situations. He directs his men decisively, and always gets the job done - no matter how unsavory."
He has no background story as to were and how he joined the military and as a perfect soldier, he gets the job done. Due to the fact that he was too successful, he has revolted his master and understands that what Kevin is doing is wrong. In order to control your test subjects, you need to dumb them down.
- The 3 maps, West London, Biotech Labs and Offices are all in the same area.
- Gary Glover is partially responsible for this mess and is one of the survivors of the outbreak attack.

Upvote 0
I'm working on a little level text & wanna make sure I've got the key elements of the original game story down correctly.

Kevin Clamly (Spelling?; aka: the Patriarch) worked for Horizon Technologies (a biogenetic advancement & "non-public" military technology developer). At some point - Kevin looses his mind and, using Horizon tech & stolen company equipment/finances, creates his "children"- the Zeds. As part of his world-genocide plan, Kevin mutates, modifies, & clones himself while creating hundreds upon thousands of "children" -which he then distributes throughout Europe (& farther East) using transport train lines.

We, the players, play as a "professional" mercenary squad formed from survivors & x-military personel that are fianced by Horizon Technologies to investigate the origins of the mishandling of Horizon Tech (KF1) & later the extermination of the misapproptiated genetic tech (ie: the Zeds; KF2).

Have I got that right?
Check the KF wiki. Kevin Clamely is the founder of Horzine. The Siren for example is clone of his wife. (Which he sent to kill her). And clot is clone of his deceased son (which is the reason why he is calling them his children).
There is a lot of cool stuff in there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

...the extermination of the misapproptiated genetic tech (ie: the Zeds; KF2).

Have I got that right?
Almost ;)

First: It's HORZINE, Kevin Clamely (Patriarch), as others have corrected it already.
Second: In KF1 they are ZOMBIES. In KF2 they turned into so called ZEDs for "no reason".
Spare me the shtstorm. They imported the code from the KFMod, which was the faster way to code them rather than to re-code. I know!
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Upvote 0
Almost ;)

First: It's HORZINE, Kevin Clamely (Patriarch), as others have corrected it already.
Second: In KF1 they are ZOMBIES. In KF2 they turned into so called ZEDs for "no reason".
Spare me the shtstorm. They imported the code from the KFMod, which was the faster way to code them rather than to re-code. I know!
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

It's a zombie game. But they're not zombies as we define a zombie. He asked for the lore, and even in KF1 they were the zeds.

Upvote 0
Almost ;)

Spoiler!

Spoiler!
Please leave and stop posting your oppinions as facts.
They have always been specimens/zeds. They only have been referred as zombies because their zombie like form.

So tired of your posts.

Upvote 0
- It is believe that Lieutenant Masterson is the only successful specimen from this project:
"It's unclear how this man rose through the ranks so quickly; his prior military service seems virtually nonexistant. One thing that's clear is that he's a man of few words, and has an unnaturally calm demeanour in combat situations. He directs his men decisively, and always gets the job done - no matter how unsavory."
He has no background story as to were and how he joined the military and as a perfect soldier, he gets the job done. Due to the fact that he was too successful, he has revolted his master and understands that what Kevin is doing is wrong. In order to control your test subjects, you need to dumb them down.

IIRC KF1 Masterson (who had the rank of Sergeant) escaped the research facility and led the DRF in battle, just as Kevin wanted

Upvote 0
Other bits of information:

Player employment: In KF1, who pays the players for their work is not clear; you are paid in British lubs, so the implication here is the British government. KF2 you are paid by Horzine! A lot of other lore discussers miss this, but it is evidenced by Ana's line, "I thought Horzine would pay more than this." The portable merchant also sports Horzine's logo on it, as do many of the guns it sells.

So what do we take from this? Horzine is most likely taking responsibility for cleaning up its own mess, or, in light of a global disaster like this, both corporations and national governments are ponying up the dough to encourage even civvies to take up arms against Kevin's horde.

Briar's Quest in KF2: I see a lot of confusion as to who PC Rob Briar is searching for whilst fighting zeds. Okay here we go, syntax analysis:

Quote 1: "Keep your eyes peeled for survivors. She must still be out there..." So Briar's motivation in this disaster is to find someone whose status is MIA. Neither confirmed dead and location unknown.

Quote 2: "That one's for Sophie, ya bastards!" Killing something / someone, then dedicating that kill to a person implies revenge. This line implies Sophie is dead, not the one he's looking for.

Quote 3: "I used to tell Sophie these places weren't real..." This sounds like something a man would say to a distressed wife or to his young daughter after having a nightmare. Again, this implies Sophie is dead, "I used to..." meaning she is no longer around. Coupled with the first quote, it further implies Sophie is dead, not the one he is looking for.

Conclusion: The manner in which he speaks these quotes, I'm forced to say Briar is looking for his daughter (or possibly a niece / sister), but the person in question being his own child is more romantic and standard for a tale like this, while Sophie was his wife, who was killed most likely during the disaster in Britain.

Upvote 0
Briar's Quest in KF2: I see a lot of confusion as to who PC Rob Briar is searching for whilst fighting zeds. Okay here we go, syntax analysis:

Quote 1: "Keep your eyes peeled for survivors. She must still be out there..." So Briar's motivation in this disaster is to find someone whose status is MIA. Neither confirmed dead and location unknown.

Quote 2: "That one's for Sophie, ya bastards!" Killing something / someone, then dedicating that kill to a person implies revenge. This line implies Sophie is dead, not the one he's looking for.

Quote 3: "I used to tell Sophie these places weren't real..." This sounds like something a man would say to a distressed wife or to his young daughter after having a nightmare. Again, this implies Sophie is dead, "I used to..." meaning she is no longer around. Coupled with the first quote, it further implies Sophie is dead, not the one he is looking for.

Conclusion: The manner in which he speaks these quotes, I'm forced to say Briar is looking for his daughter (or possibly a niece / sister), but the person in question being his own child is more romantic and standard for a tale like this, while Sophie was his wife, who was killed most likely during the disaster in Britain.

I should note that I believe it was Briar's bio in KF1 that mentioned his daughter being a hippy or something like that?

Specimen Lore:
The Scrake was noted in some tidbits to have been created to be a combat medic, able to withstand horrific amounts of pain, but eventually got a bit murdery from his obsession.
KFMod: Frankenstien-Esque. Chainsaw is rather long, specimen is overall dirty.
KF1: Doctor Esque. Tall and lean, but muscular. Chainsaw is more or less a standard chainsaw, just grafted onto an arm. Slow and methodical. Wears surgical mask.
KF2: Tall and Muscular, Doctor's apron is now a leather butcher's apron. Mask is metallic and when removed shows a really large mouth. Chainsaw seems purpose designed and is far more threatening.

The Gorefasts' tidbits are similar, somehow something missing an arm can become obsessed with pain and self mutilation, I guess? The various sketches in the artbook and voltor manor imply that the whole "Blade in arm" thing was thought out before hand, and not just sorta done on impulse.

The crawler was literally someone deciding to cross human and spider DNA. God help us when tripwire makes them able to walk on walls, by the way.

The Siren is a clone of Kevin's wife, sorta meant to be a weird homage to her dreams of becoming a singer.

Fleshpounds' gauntlets were originally meant to be restraints, although even without hindsight that frankly seems insane.

The husks were designed to be the perfect soldier, and were moderately successful, kinda. If I remember right, the first issue was that they were too stupid to operate their weapons properly, so the scientists decided to just chop a hand off and graft it on, but even then they were still pretty stupid and had a tendency to just shoot eachother for lack of other targets.
KFMod: None, generally assumed to backup idea that husks only popped up later on.
KF1: Patched in after some months. Makes an adorable "whrr whree" noise and punches as hard as a gorefast slices. Original husk gun available at trader.
KF2: Better at aiming, no longer makes adorable whrr noises. Also has no pants. Is able to shoot streams of fire from husk gun, as well as possessing a willingness to self-detonate.

Further Tidbits:
Foster's nickname (at least for himself) is "Fosty"
DJ Skully seems to be the same as DJ Scully, and he may or may not be the same as that skeleton costume bloke from KF1
Kevin Clamely (or one of his clones?) took a secret train from britain to france and proceeded to really mess up europe.
KF-Bedlam is the disused asylum where Skully was performing when the outbreak hit. It's assumed the music tracks specific to the map are his personal choices.
Foster is good enough friends with Skully to be willing to paint his mask into a homage
Donovan Neal is not a fan of Foster, evidenced by his belief that "Where I'm from, guys like Foster were locked up. Or put on TV"
Anton Strausser is implied to have been the former occupant of the open chamber in Voltor Manor's basement, near the trader.
Sir William Wiggins (Queen's Royal Guard character from KF1) is the cousin of Classic Masterson. This is directly stated.
Foster may or may not be a good day trader; bios seem to flip back and forth on this (Mrs Foster's explicitely calling him garbage at day trading). According to his KF1 bio karaoke is a big enough part of his life for him to note it in the title of his autobiography
Horzine is still actively developing weapons, from the Microwave gun to the entire line of medic weapons. Some of these seem to have been discontinued, such as the HSG-1 and the Z.E.D.
The trader pod prints new weapons using a 3D printer
The zeds may or may not have hit North America. KF-Suburbia explicitly notes that they have, although this has not been mentioned since.

KFMod's trader is presumed dead or missing.
KF1's trader is either dead, missing, or has been put out of business by Horzine.
Horzine's trader pod has more standardization; most tiers of weapon are the same cost, regardless of perk. Prices also remain the same regardless of the purchaser's abilities.
"Dosh" may be printer gel for the trader pod, explaining the ability to buy partial armor; the pod simply prints as much armor as it can with the amount of gel you give it.

The specimens transition from KF1 to KF2 has been accompanied by a complete lack of verbal training; zeds no longer possess the ability to speak complete sentences or even words.

The source of clots is an organism known as the Clot Mother; at least two can be seen in Biolab, growing in a liquid solution.
At least one Clot Mother is located in France; telltale tendrils can be seen in the extremities of the Catacombs.
A clot mother may or may not be located in Outpost; clone growth pods can be clearly seen in the sortie area while waiting for players.

Hans's lines imply he was present at Stalingrad.

Upvote 0
I should note that I believe it was Briar's bio in KF1 that mentioned his daughter being a hippy or something like that?

Police Sergeant Davin's profile mentioned his daughter, though in a way that implies he has disowned her (bisexual vegan cosmic traveler). Briar's profile makes no such mention.

The husks were designed to be the perfect soldier, and were moderately successful, kinda. If I remember right, the first issue was that they were too stupid to operate their weapons properly, so the scientists decided to just chop a hand off and graft it on, but even then they were still pretty stupid and had a tendency to just shoot eachother for lack of other targets.

KFMod: None, generally assumed to backup idea that husks only popped up later on.

Outside of a lore / KF universe perspective, Husks are the end result of an unused model from the mod known as the "chaingun fleshpound". Basically an FP with a minigun mounted on his arm, similar to both the Husk's and Patriarch's.

Sir William Wiggins (Queen's Royal Guard character from KF1) is the cousin of Classic Masterson. This is directly stated.

This is also a nod to the fact that both characters use Alan Wilson's face scan as their model (as requested by the community, thanks Wilson! :D ).

Upvote 0