• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The japanese katana

The japanese katana,cut it touches, like paper, and the demo I did not see that.

Keep in mind that most of the people who used the katana were no samurais (at least not in their skills with the blade), and that most of the katanas used were of the inferior massed produced variety

But yeah it would be nice to see more gore with it though

Upvote 0
The katana is a decent cutting sword (but not much else) made from inferior material and was never anything but a side-arm. Stop glorifying it.
The katanas from WW2-era was considered of lowered quality since the wast majority of them were mass-produced so that they could make enough of them. However, seeing how metallurgy and raw-materials was never much good in Japan before, the difference was not that great.
I've seen way too many write and talk about how great the Katana was. Never once have I seen any good argument. It was a fat, brittle blade that did not change for over a thousand years, thus being obsolete by any global standard. There is a reason that the main weapons of pre-firearm warfare was spears, naginatas and the bow & arrow.

Upvote 0
Most swords used were industrial made shin gunto's. Towards the end of the war, they started to lose quality. A tamehagane katana is not brittle, the spine of the sword was coated in clay and used different varieties of steel which all ended up with a sword with a softish spine which is less likely to shatter, and a hard edge which can be sharper than soft steel. Shin guntos are not tamehagane, they are a solid piece of non-folded metal. Also it did change over a thousand years, you could just look this up and find that. While someone not experienced in using a katana would probably have a hard time cutting instead of hacking, with enough force I think it would be pretty effective, especially with the overhead strike that i've seen in the beta. However, quite a few nco's had older better made swords, also those with these may have been somewhat more proficient than others. I think the sword probably (or does) has an advantage in speed, limb wounds and although it might not be as intuitive to stab with a katana, it would probably do more damage than a bayonet. Sorry for the rant

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Samurai or not, good steel or not, it's unfortunately quite clear that since wartime swords were demonstrably capable of reliable beheading, they were certainly capable of dismemberment.

It is in-game, actually. Limbs do come off, and the blade even leaves slash marks on enemy soldiers.

Upvote 0
Samurai or not, good steel or not, it's unfortunately quite clear that since wartime swords were demonstrably capable of reliable beheading, they were certainly capable of dismemberment.

It is in-game, actually. Limbs do come off, and the blade even leaves slash marks on enemy soldiers.

Yeah lol... It's not like worrying about a rifle mechanism jamming in muddy conditions. Japanese swords in WW2, whether they were considered upper echelon or not, most definitely cut through flesh.

Upvote 0
Yeah lol... It's not like worrying about a rifle mechanism jamming in muddy conditions. Japanese swords in WW2, whether they were considered upper echelon or not, most definitely cut through flesh.

Cutting limbs off is significantly harder than you may think, to sever bone etc? During beheadings (heavy sword, best swing angle possible) it was a common occurrence for the head to take more than one swing. How well do you think you'd strike sprinting through a battlefield?

Upvote 0
Cutting limbs off is significantly harder than you may think, to sever bone etc? During beheadings (heavy sword, best swing angle possible) it was a common occurrence for the head to take more than one swing. How well do you think you'd strike sprinting through a battlefield?

HolyGrail017.jpg

I don't think anyone wants to see every strike take off a limb. I understand the sword mechanic in the game actually simulates a slice across the blade (most FPS melee weapons simulate it with standard bullet based damage on the tip of the sword).

That said, if the angle is right, dismemberment should occur sometimes. In the Philippines early 20th century, Marines were re-issued leather collars ("leather necks") due to the number of neck wound and beheadings upon Juramentado attacks. So it could be an issue.

Last edited:
Upvote 0