• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The best soundcard and speaker system

Lol, more zombie threads! Yaaaaay!

For anyone considering this sort of issue now though (3 years on I might add), I would suggest steering well clear of anything Creative if you use Vista. My new X-Fi is apparently the best thing since sliced bread in XP, but my Vista install begs to differ. Popping, random distant sounds up close, stuttering in games, pathetic EAX support (Bioshock is unplayable with EAX enabled), yeah, great fun.

Asus recently released the Xonar line and honestly? If I hadn't just bought an overpriced, poorly drivered, average performing P.O.S, I'd go out and grab one of those in a heartbeat. They sound as good as an X-Fi, they perform equally to an X-Fi (and in some cases better) and they're better supported (so far) than an X-Fi. Not only that, their EAX emulation works much better than Creative's own package and with the way Vista handles sound processing, any advantage the X-Fi had in the past is completely quashed.

For XP users though, the X-Fi still reigns supreme.

Upvote 0
Anyone know the difference between Audigy 2 ZS and Audigy 4? The price is about the same and the specs too. I'm talking about the none-pro version.

The Audigy 4 has better DACs for a higher SNR but that is it.

I'd go for an X-fi. I'm a 2.1 gamer with a set of Z-2300's and there was a HUGE difference when I took out my Audigy 2 and popped in the X-fi Xtreme Music. I'd recommend that card any day of the week over an Audigy. There is just no comparison when you have good speakers.

Some say that they hear snaps and pops, but I've heard three X-fi's and none of them had this problem. Of course all of them had heat sinks, and the latest drivers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Most creative cards have had a driver updates to support vista now, but saying that, with my sound card it feels relativly botched together and has crappy software support (took me almost a day to get proper 5.1 support and CMSS working within the same install).

Im also pretty sure though that EAX does run properly now on vista or atleast much better than previously.

Upvote 0