• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] The Armed Assault thread

Allright, i did a quick try-out in the area of Bagango.
Framerates are much smoother now. Not supersmooth, but a big improvement from what it once was.
AI also seems to be better, though i have to try them out more.

EDIT: They've learned to use sandbags or so it seems :D
Graphics look better to me too, terrain would become awfully blurred in the distance, and apperantly it was because of my 8800GTX. That got fixed, and it looks IMMENSELY better, more sharp and detailed distances etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Allright, i did a quick try-out in the area of Bagango.
Framerates are much smoother now. Not supersmooth, but a big improvement from what it once was.
AI also seems to be better, though i have to try them out more.

EDIT: They've learned to use sandbags or so it seems :D
Graphics look better to me too, terrain would become awfully blurred in the distance, and apperantly it was because of my 8800GTX. That got fixed, and it looks IMMENSELY better, more sharp and detailed distances etc.
Good to hear, I am not going to apply the patch until it's official, but having an 8800GTS myself it is good to see they're fixing the issues the game has with these cards.

Upvote 0
Decided to post a comparison screenshot, though it isnt the best, you might see some improvement (i know i do).

First i will post 2 screenshots of some terrain in 1.08, then the third one again will be 1.08 but the 4th screenshot will be the same one as the third, only in 1.09 beta patch.

Notice the blurryness of the distance!
landscapesq2.jpg

flippedt72qt2.jpg

Now look at this landscape:
beforead0.bmp

And compare it with this....
afterbt9.bmp

Some difference, eh? Also, there seems to be more grass.
EDIT: something wrong with resolutions lol :(

Upvote 0
ffs this is one of the worst game i've ever played(and i loved ofp), at least I really hate the SP part. It's just way too goddamn hard. This and that the controls and pretty much everything else just feel bad, 1999ish. Maybe MP is much better, but my current impresson of the game is that it's crap.
It feels like a half baked game honestly, I didn't like OFP either.

Upvote 0
Singleplayer lacks the sheer awesomeness that OFP had, it just feels as though it doesnt have its own personality. There's no characters you follow, and once you die you can spawn into another soldier (Wich i REALLY dislike) as it means your own character doesnt mean **** to the story either.
Multiplayer can be quite great though, you'll only need a good group of players especially for co-op, otherwise you'll be trailing behind and never see anyone.

Difficulty, meh.. Not really, there are hardly any open-terrain missions like there were in OFP, most of the time your in some damn city hoping your AI teammates wont walk off into alleyways and into waiting AK's.
And even then it's not to hard to kill the AI there, as they have no sense of dangerous streets, they just run and walk everywhere and only really feel threatened when they see somebody.
Now they used to have sloppy reaction times to that, but that is being fixed in this 1.09 patch or so i've understood, i havent really played a city mission yet as i hate them.

Upvote 0
Ok I tried 1.09b and to say the least am very impressed.

Performance has gone through the roof. I've gone from running the game with everything normal with low post proc and still struggling in thickly vegetated areas to running with post proc, shaders and textures on high with better framerates than before and no hassle in vegetated areas. Visually there has been a small drop as you notice the trees cull more and the grass isn't as thick or natural looking but it is worth if for the performance relief in my opinion.

The only negative thing I can see is they went a bit overboard with the recoil reduction on the MG's, you can now easily fire an M240 or PKM standing with great control and accuracy.

Upvote 0
Well what annoys me the most are the weapons and the movement, it feels like you are floating and not like yxou'd have control of your body and the same goes for weapons they dont feel like real weapons and like you would really have control of them, maybe it's because of the free aim.
I agree with that also, the movement feels terrible. The weapons don't have a proper reload animation either.

Upvote 0
Well what annoys me the most are the weapons and the movement, it feels like you are floating and not like yxou'd have control of your body and the same goes for weapons they dont feel like real weapons and like you would really have control of them, maybe it's because of the free aim.

You do know that you can disable the freeaim? If I'm correct, there is a slider in the options menu that lets you adjust the amount of freeaim you get.

Like how you have to stop to reload your mag or stop to take out your rocket launcher.

Well, you can reload on the move in ArmAII. Yeah, I know it should've been fixed in a patch, but still. And who the heck runs around while shooting rockets?

Upvote 0
Goddamn the free aim during iron sights is making it very very hard for me to like this game.

That and I have to zoom in to see anything and then my character starts huffing and puffing and swaying around like a drunkard.

:(

Free-aiming ironsights can be turned off in the option menu. I am loving it though, i really really like it. I'm so used to it now, it feels to easy not having it on :D
As for the zoom making you puff etc... Havent noticed that since 1.08 patch or something, or one before that...
Currently im playing with XAM 1.4 mod though, on 'Extreme Simulation' mode, leaving you with NO hud at all. AND it disables the weapon zoom in ANY form whatsoever, so you just get 'basic' view, meaning unzoomed. I like it, i allways felt that the extra zooming made me unaccurate, and it wasnt in Operation Flashpoint either so i didnt like it from the getgo :p
No crosshair, no indicators of where to go, no target-indicators, no clock popup when targets are called out (enemy soldier, 2 o'clock is all you get now..), no bullet-counter but just the mode your rifle is in etc.
Nothing at all, except for the weapon-mode selected is on screen, and im LOVING it more then with all that stuff on :eek:

Upvote 0
Goddamn the free aim during iron sights is making it very very hard for me to like this game.

That and I have to zoom in to see anything and then my character starts huffing and puffing and swaying around like a drunkard.

:(
That is because 'hold breath' is bound to aiming down the sights. Check out your control setup and you can debind hold breath from right mouse, then you get the zoom with default sway and no huffing and puffing.

Upvote 0