• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The "anything" thread

Nsfw
Jim Jefferies - Religion - YouTube

2Q==
Hahaha. His first point about Christians worrying about hell and heaven is wrong though (for me because im Protestant) I could go **** 10 hookers and have really dirty sex, and God will still let me into heaven, because your good deeds and sins mean nothing to God. I really have a much less stressful life, because really I can do whatever I want and know that when I die it will only get better. The reason that Protestants still try not to be bad though is because we believe it shows our love for God. This isn't aimed at you Crusher, just explaining for those who don't know :eek:

Upvote 0
Hahaha. His first point about Christians worrying about hell and heaven is wrong though (for me because im Protestant) I could go **** 10 hookers and have really dirty sex, and God will still let me into heaven, because your good deeds and sins mean nothing to God. I really have a much less stressful life, because really I can do whatever I want and know that when I die it will only get better. The reason that Protestants still try not to be bad though is because we believe it shows our love for God. This isn't aimed at you Crusher, just explaining for those who don't know :eek:

Wait, so as a protestant you will go to heaven regardless of what you did in your life? Like, if hitler was a protestant he would go to heaven?

Upvote 0
Wait, so as a protestant you will go to heaven regardless of what you did in your life? Like, if hitler was a protestant he would go to heaven?
Yup. It depends on if he had true faith in Jesus though. Anyone with TRUE faith would never do something so horrible. Saying you believe is not enough, you have to actually believe with all your heart and mind. You can't just say I'm a Christian so I'm going to kill millions of people and God will love me still.

Upvote 0
Yup. It depends on if he had true faith in Jesus though. Anyone with TRUE faith would never do something so horrible. Saying you believe is not enough, you have to actually believe with all your heart and mind. You can't just say I'm a Christian so I'm going to kill millions of people and God will love me still.

Really? You seem to forget that, according to the bible, God is the biggest mass murderer in history.

Upvote 0
Ah and the the mis-information continues....;)
Ironically enough, Asobit got it right.

I'll recommend a very good read. Atheists, Christians, agnositcs could all gain some insight. Its a book adapted from a series of BBC radio talks done by C.S. Lewis. You may recall the he also wrote the The Chronicles of Narnia, The Screwtape Letters. He and J.R.R. Tolkien were good friends.

The book is titled Mere Christianity. It can get rather deep, but is really quite thought provoking.

Upvote 0
If the average modern person chose his religion based on his actions rather than traditions, he would be an atheistic satanist. It's what this society is all about.

As an agnostic, I have to say first of all that most religious people - going strictly by letter of the texts they believe in - will NOT enjoy the afterlife. I'd be surprised if even the most hardcore modern-day Christian made it through the pearly gates. Devout atheists are by far the worst; they have just as much faith as the religious, only their belief doesn't even inspire good deeds.

Upvote 0
-.- the levels of ignorance from all sides in any religious debate is astounding- how people warp the views of others to make themselves feel special. :rolleyes:

Anyways, I think the only way any religious debate can end is either by both parties becoming agnostic, both parties already being agnostic, or both parties respectfully realizing that it comes down to matters of personal perspective, and non-mockingly accepting that the atheists/christians/whoever will believe what they believe, but that their beliefs don't necessarily make them lesser than others.

That, or religious war, which has always been the most amusing and family friendly option.

Upvote 0
Devout atheists are by far the worst; they have just as much faith as the religious, only their belief doesn't even inspire good deeds.

While technically true, what it implies could not be farther from the truth. While it's true that atheist's "beliefs" don't inspire good deeds, that's due to the fact that "devout atheists" (I guess they can be counted to shools of thought like cosmopolitic racists or anarchistic fascists) don't have a belief at all. Thus "the belief" can't inspire anything.

You, like many other religious people imply though, that atheists are amoral. I for one counter with that argument: if only a fictional punishing father figure is keeping you from being amoral, then it's rather you I'd worry about.
I for one treat people like I'd like to be treated (and I even work in social services, HELPING people as a profession, and nope, it's not the HUUUUUUUGE paycheck that keeps me working there) even though I don't fear reprecussions in an afterlife. I do that simply because I think and feel it's the right thing to do. Not because I'd get punished for it if I didn't.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
For many atheists, the idea that there are no gods waiting to reward us with an eternal afterlife inspire us to enjoy life and to make it best for those around us as well.

As opposed to those who believe in a god and afterlife who will do what they think they need to do in order to obtain their rewards in the end. And as we can see that gets translated into a whole lotta different ways.

I'll trust someone to do good deeds when they know that their life is short and all they have over someone waiting on being rewarded after death. But good deeds are indeed good deeds, regardless of personal motives, so who really cares.

I also have my homepage on my browser set to http://apod.nasa.gov/ just to remind me how insignificant I am in this vast and otherwise unforgiving universe. So I better enjoy my life and not impede others' ability to enjoy it at the same time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0