• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Territory, Countdown, or Firefight?

Territory, Countdown, or Firefight?

• Territory

Votes: 231 75.2%
  • Countdown

Votes: 132 43.0%
  • Firefight

Votes: 44 14.3%

• Total voters
The problem is that I see here a lot of attitudes, treating Firefight as an "arcadey mode" or a "lesser mode" used to "separate" the "run and gun gamers" from the rest of the players.
I really don't think thats the correct mentality. I want all game modes to be fun and exciting. Separation and labeling players is IMO, wrong.

I think that making every game mode fit to your personal tastes is wrong, if people want to have some fun with some less serious gameplay why not let them. As a warm up I think that firefight will show a great basis.

Upvote 0
I think that making every game mode fit to your personal tastes is wrong, if people want to have some fun with some less serious gameplay why not let them. As a warm up I think that firefight will show a great basis.
It's also a nice way for the new players to try out all classes/weapons. Firefight doesn't have a class limit.

Upvote 0
It's also a nice way for the new players to try out all classes/weapons. Firefight doesn't have a class limit.
As long as it doesn't end up being like this:
Spoiler!

img.php

Last edited:
Upvote 0

If my personal tastes means: something better than just a place to keep the ADD players away from us.
Then I think I'm right in wanting it to fit my personal tastes.

@Masta: thats exactly how its gonna be without the class restrictions. They should rename it to "Level up my sniper" mode. But it seems thats fine to some people around here, cause they are not gonna play it. Screw a potentially awesome game mode, just to keep the CoDies away.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pectus
Upvote 0
DEATHMATCH. Objectives have always been a distraction to me, something I only paid attention to when I had to to help the team. Some people think it will be easier or simpler to fight without objectives, but really I think the opposite is true - there will be no arbitrary cap zones with magical control bars to distract your enemies from killing you, nowhere for the campers to hide and get free kills because their opponents are forced into the zone. Just a pure contest of skill, reflexes, and tactics.

Upvote 0
I can see both sides of this issue regarding class limits vs no class limits. There are good arguments on both sides.

Therefore you COULD make it a server option. The thing is, if you keep class restrictions it would also be better to keep squads so that you can make the restrictions work per squad and not per team (see my suggestion post a page or two back).

Taking away class restrictions would provide a nice way for people to try out all the weapons, which is a big deal, but I can definitely see that making every urban map in the game into an SMG spam fest, or every open map in the game into a sniper fest.

Upvote 0
I doubt that Firefight would have vehicles.

Then count me out!! j/k

TWI stated all 10 maps should run all three modes. If that extends to Gumrak (the tank only map), it would be pretty boring in Firefight mode.

Maybe we'll see a server option for class limits, or a mutator come out for it. That might bridge the gap for some folks here.

Upvote 0
Then count me out!! j/k

TWI stated all 10 maps should run all three modes. If that extends to Gumrak (the tank only map), it would be pretty boring in Firefight mode.

Maybe we'll see a server option for class limits, or a mutator come out for it. That might bridge the gap for some folks here.
You're right they did say that. I was under the impression that Gumrak was a tank only map and so then you'd just have TDM with tanks ... which would be cool I guess. I wonder how spawning would work? Would your tank and its occupants magically spawn near other tanks? LOL I could only imagine the hilarity that would ensue ....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sorry to double post, but it just occurred to me that RO2 used to have another gamemode, didn't it?

Remember the very first footage we got that showed off a terrorist hunt gametype? That was really cool. Whatever happened to that??

• Skirmish Mode: This mode can be played online and offline. You get three fire teams of three members each. Fire team members can be made up of human players or AI. The goal is to 'clear' the map of enemy AI. It can be compared to Terrorist Hunt mode in the Rainbow Six games. (Source:IGN Preview)

Upvote 0
They should all be fun, I'm mainly looking forward to territory just because it's the mode we all know and love, I'm also really excited for the online campaign mode.

Agreed, All three are just offering appeal to more folks. We want to see RO2 provide a good return for TWI. To be successful, RO2 must appeal to a wider audience.

RO2 will most likely offer varied configuration choices that'll satisfy the needs and wants of most.

Reactions: Placebo Cyanide
Upvote 0
I wonder why people think firefight is going to be a spamfest. That simply isn't possible considering how the firearms in RO work. You might be able to sprint out of cover or pull some Rambo stuff with a StG when most of the enemy team can only take a single shot from their bolt action, but when they've all got at least semi-autos that tactic becomes suicidal. I imagine it will be more like Insurgency, where even peeking around a corner is quite life threatening due to the fact everyone has an automatic rifle.

So basically, you're going to have to be MORE cautious and methodical on firefight mode. That's the only way you can succeed in RO under any circumstances, unless your opponents are unbelievably horrible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Skirmish Mode: This mode can be played online and offline. You get three fire teams of three members each. Fire team members can be made up of human players or AI. The goal is to 'clear' the map of enemy AI. It can be compared to Terrorist Hunt mode in the Rainbow Six games. (Source:IGN Preview)
Right I knew it was there, it's just I haven't heard them talk about it in a long time.

Upvote 0