• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Terrain and Textures

Hello, so I browsed the forum, youtube, and all over the internet for any information that would help me and I came up dry. I don't understand which package to select when using textures...or materials idk which on the terrain. I'll get a message about the packages already being cooked when using RS textures/materials. Am I supposed to download texture packs or create my own? If somebody could please explain or point me to a post or tutorial pretaining to this it would be much appreciated.

You can totally use the TWI packages which contains textures and models. They are located in the steam folder. Just click the open button in the content browser to open a package

By the way just to clear things up, a texture is not what you use in game, you first add a texture to a package then you create a material to display said texture in game. Its the material you assign to your terrain etc...

Upvote 0
Thank you both, this cleared up everything for me. :)

EDIT: Yea I still have no clue. How do I add a texture to a package? Am I supposed to create all of my own packages?

Packages is just a way for the SDK to hold everything game related, i.e. textures, sound, static meshes and so on.

There is two scenarios.

1. You want to use existing content provided by RO2/RS
You need to open the packages that are stored in the RO2/RS game folder which is in the steam/steamapps/common/red orchestra 2 folder. There is a package folder in there somewhere and also a maps folder.

2. You want to add your own content
To do this you need to use the import button in the content browser and select your files, once done the SDK will ask for a package where to put them. Put whatever name you want. Now once done you need to find your package in the content browser and save it (right-click -> save). It must be stored in the same directory than your map, i.e. in your my documents/my game/red orchestra 2 folder

Once your texture is added, right-click on it and create a material, open the material and plug your texture sample to the diffuse slot of the material and you can now apply it to surfaces, bsp etc...

Upvote 0
After fully loading all packages (it may take a few times), In the Content Browser, check the "Materials" box in the search filter at top, find a material you want. Select your terrain, open terrain editing window, in gray area below "HeightMap" right click, and auto generate material. It will use whatever material you have selected in the browser.

From there, it gets a bit more complicated, and a lot of reading through tutorials will be nessisary. Keep in mind, your terrain is very important to get right, such as size and number of patch's, and tesselation. For example, as mentioned in other posts, if you want to use stock RO2 trench's, you will have to increase tesselation on your terrain, so they fit perfectly.

Upvote 0