• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design TE-StalingradKessel1943

Raven1986

Grizzled Veteran
May 24, 2014
Hello folks,

finally I can dare to show some progress in my first mapping attempt since RO Combined Arms. So I didn't touch an editor for about 7-8 years! :D
Thanks to the help of veteran mappers I was capable of setting foot into the UDK.

Now to business. I was not happy with the StalingradKessel map which was ported for the MCP. Opening this map in the editor showed me that there is quite much potential that was started like corridors and staircases but were scrapped and left in an unfinished state.

Some pictures from the current state of work:

Roofs are now accessible and windows have been opened up
New_roof_warehouses_zpsbc631523.jpg

New roof for the Soviets to attack the Germans
New_roof_zps2a9e8614.jpg

New stairs and catwalk for North Railyard, also more windows are accessible
New_stairs_zpsb9dc4eb6.jpg

New building access
New_Building_zps4b117f29.jpg

Same building inside, allows good positions to shoot at the Germans defending North Railyard
New_bd_inside_zps9989515e.jpg

New corridor in the South Railyard building
New_corridor_zps268e3858.jpg

I do hope my work appeals to you and you are already looking forward to playing this map.

One thing I gotta ask though is: Can anybody tell me how to get the darker? I already set the DominantLight to "pitch-black" but the map is still too enlightened. Any help?
The fire barrels I put otherwise do not light the map nicely.

Many thanks!
Raven

I removed all electric light as the power supply was surely cut by the Red Army if not yet by the Wehrmacht.

I placed fire barrels to give some light.
I wanted the map to have an evening mood as I thought that this would make the burning vehicles and the fire barrels more impressive.

As I am replying with my iPad I don't have screens for the DominantLight and World Light to upload, first thing tomorrow when I get home.

Also I would appreciate help as I copied the signal box from Red October to North Rail, sadly the mounted mg34 is not present whenever I start the map from the editor. Neither is the bren carrier which I thought would be a fun addition for the Red Army. What am I doing wrong there?

I will do my best to get a first public release in the upcoming weeks as public testing is a good feedback.

Upvote 0
I removed all electric light as the power supply was surely cut by the Red Army if not yet by the Wehrmacht.

I placed fire barrels to give some light.
I wanted the map to have an evening mood as I thought that this would make the burning vehicles and the fire barrels more impressive.

The lighting definitely sounds interesting. We need more maps that have darker lighting conditions such as you describe (and not go all wacky with spotlights like on Guadalcanal).

Upvote 0
For the MG34- For the static MG's you need to add a few things:

1. You need an Actor Factory in Kismet (this doesn't come over with the asset you copy/pasted)
2. You need to add a MG spawn point to your map and hook it up to your Kismet node described above
3. You need to populate the MG spawn point with the proper skeletal mesh actor for the MG34

Just going from memory so I may have left out a step. I'm at work taking a dump right now.

For the bren carrier-is this going to be a static object to hide behind or do you want to drive it around?

Upvote 0
And about you lights: Just for the hell of it, replace your light with the one from Red October Factory. Then open Red October's World Properties and write down the settings for Lightmass and Light Environment and copy those into your map as well. Then re-build lighting and see how much that changes things. Maybe try replacing your sky dome with something darker. Or take it out entirely and replace it with a heightfog actor, you can get some cool effects if you float the fog just above the tops of the buildings. It can look like one of those gray winter days where the clouds seem so low. It might not be exactly what you want after all that but it will be different. Maybe better, maybe worse but it's better than chasing your tail and changing a bunch of little things that end up making little difference.

Upvote 0
Many thanks for your advice. :)
Now as the map seems to me in a state which can be released on the public for a first test I wanted to publish it. I clicked on "Cooking" a text box opened up, told me various things including that packages hadn't been changed. So I checked the "Published" folder just to find out that my map wasn't there. :eek:

It was still in "Unpublished". So I tried to get the map directly into "Published" which of course failed, no textures loaded and presumably no light loaded either.

I would really like to hand this map over to Mord to get it running on one of our servers at 40-1 for field testing. Can anyone one advise me on cooking the map?

Already looking forward to see on checking out the map. :)

Upvote 0
New Screenshots

New Screenshots

Some new screens my friends, many thanks to Catalavos for helping me out with the light. Now it's truly ghostly. :D

Warehouses_zpsf8561c09.jpg

New North Rail:
New_North_zpsaa5a7a41.jpg

New Assembly Hall:
New_assembly_1_zps8b9d1c0d.jpg

New_assembly_2_zps5549be69.jpg

Last German spawn:
New_Ger_Last_Spwn_zps26c4702b.jpg

New windows overlooking South Rail Yard:
New_windows_South_Rail_zps733ae590.jpg

New_South_Rail_zps5806678c.jpg

I still need to fix the APC and the mounted MG34, my kismet connections must be wrong. :eek:

Anyways, enjoy the pictures, with some magic the map will soon be on the servers for field testing.

Upvote 0