• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design TE-Little Saturn

Catalavos

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Hi all,
Here's a look at a little winter map I've been working on both while at work and between diaper changes at home. It's basically a rip-of of Arad with numerous changes to make it more interesting. I've retained the basic geography of the map with placement of hills, trees, water, etc... while making it both smaller in area and flatter to reflect the topography of the foothills of the Caucuses. There are 2 bridges, 2 village sections and open fields on the flanks. I'll be creating similar map boundaries as well so I think it will play much the same.

Among the changes I've made are as follows:

Changed the setting from Hungary to Southern Russia to fit the theme and time frame. This now depicts a fictional battle during Operation Little Saturn http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Little_Saturn[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Little_Saturn[/URL]

It's now a push map with the Russians attacking

Timer is set to the standard 30 minutes. This is subject to change following feedback as is the number of reinforcements.

There are 5 objectives which are all located in the village sections. This is subject to change and if the North and South Field objectives are desired, I'll find a way to add them in.

The "East Village" has 3 Objectives: Bridge, Church and Trenches. All 3 of these area active at the start of the round to allow for some strategy on the part of the attackers. When all 3 are held by the Russians they will lock and open two more objectives in the "West Village".

All spawns are located about 200-250 yards from the objectives to allow for some long-range shots. This is subject to change.

I have added numerous buildings compared to the original Arad map to make the fighting in the village portions more fun. Many buildings have multiple floors/basements.

There will be NO aerial recon for this map for 2 reasons: one, because I think it's a stupid feature and I hate it and two; because I really don't feel like learning how to use Matinee right now.

I kept it a combined arms map while making it considerably smaller due to the fact that we STILL don't have APC's
rolleyes1.gif
. Right now each team gets 3 tanks but that can changed very easily. Load-outs follow a standard WW2 squad layout and I've thrown in 1 Elite Assault per team.

I added some elevated decks in the first Russian spawn areas that will allow infantry to climb onto tanks if they so desire. I don't know how well this will work as I can't test this myself but it was an idea so...

Attached are some screen shots. I'd put them in a spoiler to make them larger but honestly, I don't know how to and I'm an old man so I don't care
mad1.gif

There's a lot of work yet to be done in terms of detail and eye candy but functionally, it "should" work perfectly in the Alpha version. I still have some collision volumes to add and a whole bunch of cover nodes but I can promise that it will be a much more functional map than Zapadnovka ever was.

Cheers,
Catalavos

Attachments

• RussianAttackView.jpg
    RussianAttackView.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 1
  • RussianVillageView.jpg
    RussianVillageView.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 1
  • GermanTrenches.jpg
    GermanTrenches.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 1
  • RussianViewObjectivesD&E.jpg
    RussianViewObjectivesD&E.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 1
  • GermanViewObjectivesD&E.jpg
    GermanViewObjectivesD&E.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 0
Looks nice .

PS: just copy and paste the the recon matinees and datas in Kismet and the interPActor on a stock map into yours . u just Need to connect the Matinee with the InterPActor object in Kismet then.....

I'll have to give this a shot :)

BTW-I had a funny dream the other night with both you and Drecks in it. I have no idea what you both look like but the "strangers" in the dream were you guys. You came over to my house to help me fix a Kismet issue and "Drecks" was a guy with a red mohawk trying to jump-start the old Chevy van you drove to my house in. True story. :)

Upvote 0
BTW-I had a funny dream the other night with both you and Drecks in it. I have no idea what you both look like but the "strangers" in the dream were you guys. You came over to my house to help me fix a Kismet issue and "Drecks" was a guy with a red mohawk trying to jump-start the old Chevy van you drove to my house in. True story. :)

:eek:

Well that's not what I expected to read when I looked at this thread :D

Upvote 0
Yup, def looks interesting! Have you thought about how is it gonna play out? Are the two sides contesting for the middle of the village (church) and then the base of the opponent, or is it a normal attack-defence map?

The original Arad map worked kind of like this: there were 4 objectives; North Field, South Field, East Village and West Village. Generally, the tanks fought over the North and South field and infantry (carried by APC's) fought for the villages. All Objectives were re-cappable by each team and both teams had only 2 spawn points to choose from which were located at opposite ends of the map, eliminating any issues where you would get caught in a spawn protection area when an objective changed hands. APC's allowed infantry to get back into the villages pretty quickly.

Since we don't have APC's I had to massage the gameplay into something that retained the spirit of the map while not making the infantry run 5 miles to get back into the fight. So I changed it into a standard Attack/Defend map with locking objectives and moving spawn locations. To make things interesting, the Soviets will have to capture and hold 3 objectives in the East Village area before the objectives in the West Village are unlocked. These objectives can be captured in any order and allow for some randomness in how the Soviets can attack the East Village rather than the same old "run down the middle" approach. As the map stands now, the approach to the East Village is fairly wide open and the Soviets will need to use their tanks to support the initial infantry attack. There will be some destructible objects that engineers have to blow up as well so that the infantry can reach the trenches and bridge. Can't wait to see how it plays out!

Upvote 0
Has this map been turned over to another mapper? We love using it in drills in the 29th. We have a competition at the moment between squads and this map was used:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IF89yxAnDI

There is some serious fps drops when looking in to the town and i think it's because of the trees always have their high textures, when looking at them from afar with binocs their resolution does not lower, unlike the rest of the world.

Upvote 0
Are you going to add APCs?

I wouldn't bother with light tanks.

It depends on my mood. Every time I fire up either the game or SDK I get get an intense emotional reaction that's an odd combination of bored/pissed off and the last thing I want right now is to get sucked back in.

I've also long since forgotten so many things about the SDK that it's going to feel like day 1 again.

Upvote 0