• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tank Takedowns - Prolly been suggested before.

Skip

Grizzled Veteran
May 3, 2006
This has more than likely been suggested before but here it goes...

If a tank is sitting around just "sniping" other things I think that a player opposing the tank should be allowed to climb the tank kick open the hatch and chunk a grenade down inside close the hatch then haul ass. I think it would be awesome and very scary to be inside of a tank then all the sudden see a hand grenade drop down in my lap.

Skip said:

If a tank is sitting around just "sniping" other things I think that a player opposing the tank should be allowed to climb the tank kick open the hatch and chunk a grenade down inside close the hatch then haul ass. I think it would be awesome and very scary to be inside of a tank then all the sudden see a hand grenade drop down in my lap.
thats why they invented a handy thing called a LOCK:eek: besides even if it would be implemented it would completly wipe out the sapper and pt soldat classes.

Upvote 0
Skip said:

It has been suggested billions of times before, and it's also been shot down billions of times, because that kind of thing did not happen.

Upvote 0
If you saw a hand grenade on your lap you'd throw it back out.

Soldiers very rarely "cooked" grenades, it was pretty retarded and could get you killed. You don't know what's gonna happen with a live grenade, so they usually just tossed them like a hot potato, they didn't give a **** about cooking.

And yeah, throwing nades down hatches is complete hollywood.

We should be able to spray Russian viewslits which had no armored glass, although I don't recall which tanks these are. KV1?

Upvote 0
kabex said:
If you saw a hand grenade on your lap you'd throw it back out.

Soldiers very rarely "cooked" grenades, it was pretty retarded and could get you killed. You don't know what's gonna happen with a live grenade, so they usually just tossed them like a hot potato, they didn't give a **** about cooking.

And yeah, throwing nades down hatches is complete hollywood.

We should be able to spray Russian viewslits which had no armored glass, although I don't recall which tanks these are. KV1?

QFT.

It didn't happen, the hatches were locked, somewhat like in a submarine. If you were to run up to the tank and climb it, then try to open the hatch, even if it weren't locked, the crew would notice and you'd get a bulled in your face before you could pull the ring off the nade.

Also, like Kabex said, they didn't cook grenades. The pulled the ring and threw it straight away - grenades could be unstable like any other explosive could be at the time and the fuse could be "hollow", which basically means it would burn in half the time or less and thus kill the soldier if he didn't throw it immediately.

Upvote 0
hehe though im pretty certain it did not happen, the suggestion of the lock is completely valid ofcourse, but what if the commander/gunner dude gets out to have a look around? :p (yeah, useless to say, you wouldnt try to get near anyway when that happens:D just to say they didnt allways lock, only with enemies near, so it wouldnt be of any use really either:rolleyes: )

Upvote 0
kabex said:

I'm pretty certain the KV1 had armoured glass, it would be madness to make a heavy tank without armoured viewslits. In fact I imagine all the tanks ingame had armoured glass fitted, that stuff wasn't exactly rare in ww2. I would think that the only tanks without it were Japanese tanks as well as some 1939 era tanks, but that's just me guessing really.

Upvote 0
SiC-Disaster said:
hehe though im pretty certain it did not happen, the suggestion of the lock is completely valid ofcourse, but what if the commander/gunner dude gets out to have a look around? :p (yeah, useless to say, you wouldnt try to get near anyway when that happens:D just to say they didnt allways lock, only with enemies near, so it wouldnt be of any use really either:rolleyes: )

Then the commander/gunner dude should be able to fire his pistol and throw grenades. A Soviet tank tactic was to drive up to trenches, throw open their hatches, and quickly lob grenades down at the Germans in the trenches and foxholes. Commanders were not immobilized and only able to look through their binoculars when unbuttoned.

Upvote 0
Deathsai said:
Then the commander/gunner dude should be able to fire his pistol and throw grenades. A Soviet tank tactic was to drive up to trenches, throw open their hatches, and quickly lob grenades down at the Germans in the trenches and foxholes. Commanders were not immobilized and only able to look through their binoculars when unbuttoned.

Tank crews were also known to tote a light machinegun and fire it from the cupola or the open hatch.

Upvote 0
Nifel said:
Also, like Kabex said, they didn't cook grenades. The pulled the ring and threw it straight away - grenades could be unstable like any other explosive could be at the time and the fuse could be "hollow", which basically means it would burn in half the time or less and thus kill the soldier if he didn't throw it immediately.
i woud love randoom grenade fuses !!!!

Upvote 0
Hyperion2010 said:
One more time:

"No self respecting tanker would be stupid enough not to lock his hatches"

Actually, I think it's smarter for the commander to have his head out so he could see what was going on around him. It leads to higher casualties among tank commanders, but less instances of tanks being destroyed by close assault weapons like satchel charges. The problem with vehicles like the T-34/76 is the commander is also the gunner. So, they're effectively buttoned-up when the main gun is in use, anyway. I think there was an official Soviet order that tanks had to be buttoned-up when in a combat zone.

I repeat my own request for dedicated vehicle commanders to be a feature for vehicles that actually had them.

Upvote 0
Blablo said:
Actually, I think it's smarter for the commander to have his head out so he could see what was going on around him. It leads to higher casualties among tank commanders, but less instances of tanks being destroyed by close assault weapons like satchel charges. The problem with vehicles like the T-34/76 is the commander is also the gunner. So, they're effectively buttoned-up when the main gun is in use, anyway. I think there was an official Soviet order that tanks had to be buttoned-up when in a combat zone.

I repeat my own request for dedicated vehicle commanders to be a feature for vehicles that actually had them.

well ...

- Did you lock your hatches during combat in built-up areas?

- We absolutely locked our hatches from the inside. In my own experience, when we burst into Vienna, they were throwing grenades at us from the upper floors of buildings. I ordered all the tanks to be parked under the archways of buildings and bridges. From time to time I had to pull my tank out into the open to extend a whip antenna and send and receive communications from my higher commander. On one occasion, a radio operator and driver-mechanic were doing something inside their tank and left the hatch open. Someone dropped a grenade through the hatch from above. It struck the back of the radio operator and detonated. Both were killed. Thus we most certainly locked our hatches when we were in built-up areas.
http://www.iremember.ru/tankers/loza/loza1.html
just a great page!

Upvote 0
jedinstven-o crni Wuk said:

Yes, I'm familiar with the site. It seems that crew didn't have any infantry support if enemy troops can get close enough to drop a grenade down a hatch, and closed hatches don't save a tank crew from infantry anti-tank weapons like hollow charges and panzerfausts, or even improvised weapons like Teller mines and grenade bundles. Those poor Soviets.

Upvote 0