• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Tank Hitboxes

For those wanting to take out a Panzer using a T34, I have found that in RO2 (most RO1/Mod Tactics are out the window) if you have a front on shot of a Panzer, try aiming right between the MG and Driver hatches and usually you get a one-shot kill.

Also, when on an angle or at the side of a Panzer, again, aim towards the driver or MG's section and above the tracks.... I seem to get a lot of one-hit kills there.

Of course when facing the Panzer from the rear you'd think you'd get an easy one-hit kill, but that's not so much the case these days.... look for that little exhaust thingy:

panzer-iv-5433.jpg

^ That brown rusty looking thing.... hit that and you either get a insta-kill or you cripple the Panzer pretty quickly, leading to a kill shot with the second hit.

20060509_2164_NSengupta_AberdeenProvingGroundss.jpg

^ On the side of the Panzer, above the tracks where that flappy viewport thingy is by the MG position..... hit just behind that in the front & below area of the turret and you get some good damage done, again sometimes an insta-kill. I think in the game, there are a set of track-wheels mounted on the side of the tank.... shoot just ahead of those (which would be between the track-wheels and where the viewport is shown in the above image)

Basically the easiest explanation is when viewing from the side, shoot between the direct middle of the Panzer and just before the sitting area of the MG or Driver.... it's a nice sweet spot.

Everywhere else, I have found you need several hits.

Upvote 0
Basically the easiest explanation is when viewing from the side, shoot between the direct middle of the Panzer and just before the sitting area of the MG or Driver.... it's a nice sweet spot.

if you've looked around the tank in the panzer IV (or changed between gunner and driver) you'd see there's a whole bunch of tank shells there, I'm not surprised :p

Upvote 0
The T34 is garbage, the sloped armor does nothing and the Panzer can kill your gunner through the mantlet in one shot every single time from any distance, once you run out of gunners your tank explodes. 4 shots, sometimes 2-3 because it will kill more than just the commander.
And what experience you have in REAL LIFE with tanks? It may be garbage in game but not in real life....
Only thing we know for sure is that the game is not ready and we are waiting for tons of fixes that will dramatically change the ingame experience :)

Reactions: Nikita
Upvote 0
How are you supposed to angle the tank? In RO:Ost shots almost always bounced of when facing the enemy at about 11 or 1 o'clock. Is it the same in this game?

That seems to help, but unlike ROOST, it'll only help on the hull (as it shoudl). For some reason, as long as your hull was angled, even if your turret wasn't, you would get deflection just like as if the turret was angled.

Of course with the greater vulnerabilities modeled in RO2:HoS, you expose the flank to track, brakes, suspension damage. You also are still vulnerable to turret/mantlet penetration as long as your facing the enemy. The turret ring and gun are also vulnerable.

Upvote 0
The main reason why T-34 got killed by a PzIV is not the game.
Everytime a played gumrak, i saw that russians was dirving out
of the spawn and the instantly began to camp - instead of moving.
The most tanks of the german team was moving, flanking and they
standed together and so they could get to better positions to hit
the T-34s from a side or at a better angle - what is bad for a bunch
of enemy T-34s that all camp at the same spot and could not turn
their tanks to give the PzIV a bad angle to hit them, cause youl simple
could not do that when you got one tank at your front and one at
your side - no matter where you turn to, on PzIV will get a good angle.
Also most time there fought two PzIV against the same T-34 and
so they could easy kill him and go to catch the next one.

I played both sides and got as much kill with the T-34 as i got the
round before with a PzIV.
Its not TWIs or the T-34s fault that T-34s get killed like ducks.
The PzIV F2 gun is much better and can easy kill a T-34 at distances
about just 500-800m - thats realistic.
Perhaps many players mind ROI, where the T-34 could not be penetrated
by a PzIV or StugIV when the T-34s hull was angled, what was not
really realistic and caused the same camping before the spawn like at
ROI tank maps like "blackdayjuly".

Also i noticed a detail the differs from ROI to ROII.
At ROI, the sights didn

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That seems to help, but unlike ROOST, it'll only help on the hull (as it shoudl). For some reason, as long as your hull was angled, even if your turret wasn't, you would get deflection just like as if the turret was angled.

Of course with the greater vulnerabilities modeled in RO2:HoS, you expose the flank to track, brakes, suspension damage. You also are still vulnerable to turret/mantlet penetration as long as your facing the enemy. The turret ring and gun are also vulnerable.
So what is the best way to angle then? Front facing the enemy at 12 o'clock? Do any of these tanks have the power to penetrate the front of the other from a 90 degree angle? Seems like it at least.

Would really like it if someone pointed me towards some kind of tutorial or tactical guide on the use of tanks in this game. Because it is indeed quite different from what I'm used to from ROOST :p (which is far from a bad thing, might I add!)

Upvote 0
So what is the best way to angle then? Front facing the enemy at 12 o'clock? Do any of these tanks have the power to penetrate the front of the other from a 90 degree angle? Seems like it at least.

I'll let you know when I figure it out. :)

At most of the engagement ranges in game, the tanks can frontally penetrate the hull at 90 degrees (or 0 degrees, depending on how you measure).

I would suggest if you're camping an objective, and mobility isn't the biggest priority, go ahead and angle. You may sacrifice your tracks and hence, ability to move, but you'll still be able to hold your ground and keep capping/holding.

Even if your brakes or track are taken out on one side, you can still turn the tank's hull to deal with other threats by either going forward or backward, and using the brakes on the good side.

If you're in a T-34, and attacking, it's best to keep moving at a medium speed and firing on the move (if you're close enough).

Upvote 0

Would really like it if someone pointed me towards some kind of tutorial or tactical guide on the use of tanks in this game. Because it is indeed quite different from what I'm used to from ROOST :p (which is far from a bad thing, might I add!)

You use the typical 11 or 1 o'c but have the angle with the front of your tank at them (Think some might use 3 & 9 o'c as well). You don't want a lot of your side hitable as they get engine or track hits on you. I just get a the best angle I can get quickly, take my shots and start moving if he gets any decent hits on me.

You are still going to take damage so you need to be prepared to back your tank up or move to a different position under cover. I still lose crew men and take gun and turret ring damage, but normally don't die from 1 shots unless I get caught off guard or just unlucky.

Only down side, as a Russian I feel I need to hang around close to the repair stations because I always end up getting a lot of damage that needs repaired or replacement crew members.

In return I can typically kill the Panzers in 2 to 3 shots at most with the occasional 1 shot wonder.

Also remember to swap for HE rounds, when you see guys that drive popped out of the commander hatch or worse yet out of the drivers hatch. Typically that gives you a easy 1 shot 1 kill and there are still people whom drive with the hatches open.

Last edited:
Upvote 0