• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tank crew: loader... what if he dies?

This is one of the things I hope Tripwire changes. Having to scuttle your tank if there are no AI Crewmen to take the loader spot would essentially discourage a full Non-AI Player tank. I just don't get that :confused: . This feels like one of those gamey just because features that will turn out to be as annoying as pop-up riflemen are in RO1. The class that will be most benefited by this feature will be the AT Riflemen... I hope this feature is not needed in order to make them feel like they are contributing to the fight and they have plenty of things to fire at, including the ammo again.

Upvote 0
When the loader dies, another crewman will attempt to take his position. If there are no other crewmen left to do so... well, at that point it might be time to scuttle your tank.

pretty poor implementation IMO, unless I am not understanding it correctly.

1. Does this mean that if you, for example, have 2 human players left in the tank and the loader is killed, one of the human players will get to act as 'loader' (either just watching the animation and being 'stuck' to that role as it were, or actively 'loading' the shells in some kind of mini-game)

2. What if, for example, the loader died but the tank was surrounded by infantry? I would rather the other tank person manned the mg, defending the tank with the coax/hull mg until we drove back to resupply crew. Will the loader therefore still be able to switch roles? (Be it AI or human player) and actively choose the best role for the situation.

Overall it seems to me that having AI loader as a non-playable-yet-killable position is creating more of a headache than the 'realism' it adds to the game.

Seems to me the best result would be

AI loader -> dies -> crew decides if they need loader at that point ->either order AI to take loader position or other human player 'moves' to that position ->loader is able to move back and forth between positions.

In that case the loader bot needs to be able to switch positions with other crew members when they die, rather than remaining 'static'.

Coding nightmare?

Upvote 0
I also think this would be a huge problem, i mean wtf? cant we just switch to the loader position and back if we want to? would be awesome but i think only ai can be loader... heard it in an interview a while ago so say you got 3 humans + 1 ai loader the loader dies, back to base to get another one...

i realy think this is the only thing wich will suck about the game

Reactions: u-s-e-r
Upvote 0
well as long as it doesn't play out as though the easiest role for a crew member within the tank can ONLY be done by one specific guy im happy.

The idea that a tank's main gun would be rendered ineffective due ONE specific crew member dying is stupid,

the penalty should be that it takes longer to aim, fire and reload as for instance, from the commanders position ->load shell -> move back to commander position -> aim -> fire

Realistic, logical but will take time to implement (and new animations for loading etc. I presume)

edit: this doesn't mean the loader is a slot that a human player can take when in spawn, just a position you can switch to once the AI loader has died.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My hope would be when it's just one guy in the tank, after you fire the gun, when you hit the reload / fire button, you automatically go to 1st person switch to loader animation and watch yourself load the next shell, then go back to gunner position.

If there are 2 players in the tank, being the full time loader would be annoying to most people, and it seems unrealistic to switch from MG to loader every time you load a round. So in the case of two players left, I suggest the gunner still loads, as outlined above, and the 2nd player does whatever the hell he wants to do, either drive or MG.

Upvote 0