• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Taking out Tigers on Orel 88v76

Jack said:
Maybe in real life, but not in RO. As someone else said, repeated hits to the front seem able to bring it down. I also destroyed a Tiger with one frontal shot when testing with another guy.

Granted, this might not be so easy to do when the other guy is trying to kill you, but if you can drive right up to him while he has his turret turned, and pump a round throught the front, you can destroy the Tiger in one shot, trust me.

Jack, this is not repeatable as far as I can tell. I read about this from you in another thread and decided to test it.

I tried AP, I tried HE. I aimed for every spot on the Tigers front. The ONLY oddity I found is that a hit to the Tiger's left track (right from your POV), you get an engine damage (which seems strange).

All other hits on the Tigers front were NOT one-shot (or even 2 shot) kills. I tested this for about an hour. You could EVENTUALLY get a kill on the Tiger with both HE and AP rounds, but it seemed pretty random exactly how many shells it took. Even specifically targeting vision slits and MG ports seemed to have no effect.

I'm not saying that it's impossible. I'm just saying I don't think you can do this "at will" like you are implying. If you would like to contest this, I would be very happy to set up a testing session where we can log into the same server and check it out. Let me know if you're interested.

I just wanted to bring this up before the community is up in arms about how the Tiger is "nerfed."

Upvote 0
Solo4114 said:
5.) When in doubt, retreat. At anything over 500m, the Tiger is invincible. Get used to that idea. With that in mind, if you see one and you're alone, or very very far away (but still in his range), haul ass out of there.

On this map if a Tiger can see you, you are in his range :p.

Put the Tiger on the heights, moving after several kills to avoid the real killer, ART. Also at least 2 teamates should watch the Tigers flanks. The easiest way to kill a Tiger is to sneak a clown car up on it with 2 satchel throwing clowns.

And teamates, please the best attack formation for the Germans is 3 Stugs moving in overwatch. Let the PIVs hold the heights with their turrets. The PIII watch the Tigers backside and move those Stugs out in force. With the three of you concentrating your high rate of fire you can take out anything. Two firing AP rounds and the third with HE you can decimate anything. With a Tiger on the heights covering for you no T34 hoard will overrun you if you flank from the germans right side.

Upvote 0
Ron said:
With the 85 version i think you mean, the T34 76 version the shots consistently bounce off the front and if you are speaking the truth its from the sides or rear not the front.

Did I mention anything about hitting it on the front? No, didn't think so. The 76 works just fine, as does the KV1. Only a fool would attack the front of a Tiger with anything less than an IS2 unless there's enough of you that the cumulative damage eventually kills it.

Upvote 0
Today a T34 held back 3 of our panzers, ok two of them were panzer 3's and one was a panzer IV but it was some good angling by that T34. I assume there were three crew in the T34 but it kept angling the tank to meet whichever of the 3 tanks was about to fire at him. I guess all together we hit him 10 times, each bounced until one of us a got a lucky frontal penetration and it must've hit his ammo. So T34 can also be very invulnerable when employed only against Panzer 3's and 4's. That sloped armour is pretty damn fine :D

Upvote 0
I like this discussion. The one point I will make (which others have also made) is that team work is very important. Two tanks are better then one and three tanks working together can be unstoppable.

I have destroyed a lone Tiger two different times with my trusty T-34 wonder tank. Both time with some inovative tactics and movements but that Tiger was alone with no support. Even the mighty Tiger needs to work with someone else.

Upvote 0
Very true, though, assuming the guy(s) in the Tiger play smart, they'll know how to survive and maximize their strengths. Until the heights are captured, I'd actually leave the Tigers in the back and have the Panzer IVs push forward, backed by Stug IIIs and maybe a Pz III loaded for APCR. For close range fighting like in the village portions of the heights, the Pz III will probably be ok.

Once the heights are captured, hold them with your frontline and bring up the Tiger. A Tiger on the heights is a nasty, nasty beast, the moreso because he's that much tougher to flank....unless you know where to drive to. :)

Upvote 0
{Cap-Down} said:
Today a T34 held back 3 of our panzers, ok two of them were panzer 3's and one was a panzer IV but it was some good angling by that T34. I assume there were three crew in the T34 but it kept angling the tank to meet whichever of the 3 tanks was about to fire at him. I guess all together we hit him 10 times, each bounced until one of us a got a lucky frontal penetration and it must've hit his ammo. So T34 can also be very invulnerable when employed only against Panzer 3's and 4's. That sloped armour is pretty damn fine :D

One of you should have switched to HE. I was in a Stug on the heights and saw an allied tank at about 800 meters showing his left profile to me (I don't know if it was a T34 or KV). I hit him 5 or 6 times with AP with every round bouncing. I switched to HE and he brewed up real good on the 4th hit.

Upvote 0
Solo4114 said:
That's true. I've had one or two situations where I was mobbed by two or three Stugs. They reload FAST. And if they hit you in rapid succession, unless you're properly angled, you're probably gonna die in the initial barrage.

I learned this the hard way. I was in a T34/85 when I saw a tank on the heights. I stopped, switched to gunner, and its bang, bang, bang. I switch back to driver and its bang-boom.

Upvote 0
Solo4114 said:
4.) Makeshift smoke rounds. Yes, you cannot kill the Tiger at long range. And yes, we don't actually have smoke rounds to use. But we DO have these lovely puffs of dirt that erupt to obscure the enemy's vision each time you fire in FRONT of them. So while you're on the move, forget accuracy, and just try to shoot in FRONT of the Tiger, so that you kick up enough dust to screw up his aim momentarily. With four of you bearing down on him at once, he should be effectively screened until you get in close and open up on his side armor.
I like this one. People were trying to do that to me last night. While I was reloading! During that 15 seconds it makes no difference if my view is obstructed for a second.

Upvote 0
Well, they may not be able to time it out properly. I mean, you start reloading as soon as you fire, so they'd have to hear the shot, figure "Ok, he's reloading" and then fire JUST before you finish, knowing the specific reload times.

There is still the benefit of -- if they fire fast and often enough -- providing themselves with a continuous screen. If you're travelling in a squadron of four, two tanks fire, then the other two, and back and forth. Might make the approach easier.

Upvote 0
EvilAmericanMan said:
OK I am confused here. Since when is the game fixed and do shells bounce off the front of a Tiger? Second what is this 88v76 thing?

1. Since the patch.

2. it's the tank force allotment change made on the base of the original Orel map. no more inaccurrate, time-inapropriate tank allotments. Germans get a couple of Tigers, and the russians get more KV1s and T-34/76s.

Upvote 0