• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Taking out snipers and machine gunners with short barrel guns

OT from RO, but I can't resist.

Regarding the orignal stroy: this claim is absurd on its face. Not simply because the ratio of rounds fired to casualties caused is absurd, but because of what it says about the other thousands of German troops there.

The 352nd ID defended at Omaha. With an estimated strength of 7,400, even if only 10% were on the firing line (a very low estimate), that

Upvote 0
From a tanker's point of view:

Considering that Tigers routinely engaged Soviet armor at better than 8-900 meters - long before the Rus could bring their own guns to bear - I'd have to say that most RO tank battles are practically knife fights! Two of the available maps- Black Day and Orel (in all of their variations!)- offer the best open field for tanks, while fighting the Arad map is more like a shooting gallery!

But, yes, from the infantry side it does seem that RO ground combat is rather close-quartered as well. The range is there for rifle fire, but as it is so innacurate (as in many Real Life cases) most people seem to prefer to close with the enemy and get it done that way.

Upvote 0
No, not really. The majority of all fighting occurred under about 300m, that's why they designed assault rifles ; the range of bolt action rifles was unneeded. Remember it's pretty hard to be accurate with a rifle past about 150-200 yards in real life. Against moving targets maybe 50-100 meters.

And the nominal accuracy of the mp40 is 100m, the ppsh has one of 200m. Your saying 60feet which is 20m, 1/10, 1/5 of the effective killing range. It's entirely plausible. However how did you manage that? Anyone worth his weight would take you out at that range with a rifle or mg.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have done this at 60 meters or more. It's sadly unrealistic

Many sub-machine guns had effective ranges in the hundreds of meters.

(doh, as Dheepan mentioned above)

It's hard to figure distances in a game respresented on a monitor. Many of the visible ranges in RO are really not that far. I believe on Arad, the furthest range is only 800m...

Upvote 0
I've been practicing long shots with the MP40 and MP41 and they are fairly easy if you take into account the distance of your target. I'm able to shoot people from 200 yards now. To give people a perspective of the distance that I'm making shots from: On Berezina I go to the bombed out house to the right of the 2nd line if you're facing the first line. From there I make shots from that house to the line of trees 2 corn fields infront of it.

I use this spot to practice with all weapons and I can get kills with the MN91/30 (non-scoped) from even greater distances now that I've practiced.

Upvote 0
There are many good shooters in RO, certainly, but when 'New Guys' and just plain bad in-game rifle shooters (like me) are thrown into the mix the overall effect is that there are many more rounds that DON'T hit the target than do. This, coupled with the relatively short ranges of many RO maps make bolt-action rifle fire pretty wasteful of ammo and effort, IMHO.

(This is coming from the viewpoint of a tanker, and one who is very bad in RO with boots on the ground. Your Mileage May Vary.)

What rifle are you using? The K98/Mn9130 work just fine, and are extremely accurate. Just curious why you have this perception.

Upvote 0
I'd say, but it doesn't take much to smell us tankers. I'm a decent all around player, seeing as an infantryman i rack up my share of kills with the mauser, but with the mosin nagant i've always been an excellent shot. I'd have to agree with you, bolt actions are VERY accurate...

So the guys who are shooting at you are AWFUL! Sometimes i'll be beaten by an SMG'er, but at a good distance (beyond 20 meters or so) and behind cover, i'll give em a bullet.

Oh, and that claim, as many have said, is simply insane.

Upvote 0