• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Suppression effects in HOS?

Galslacht

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 5, 2010
I was wondering if RO:HOS would have any suppression effects. I do not find any good information about this subject in the pre- and interviews.

RO Ost has none (hence the lemmings dying in waves without really caring), but DH-mod has it implemented, which works quite well.

YouTube - ‪Darkest Hour Suppression Effect‬‎

The most ideal thing would be a mix of the DH suppression and the Fogotten Hope mod suppression.

You cant really simulate the suppression-effect you have in real life, because you can just spawn again etc, but it would be nice if RO:HOS would have at least a visible effect of suppression.

I hate the suppression in DH

:IS2::IS2:

You hate it cuz it stops you to just pop up and shoot that mg firing at you.
i think that DH suppression effect is a good solution to simulate the fear of the MG's in the fierce of the battle. In real life u cant just pop up and one shot the MG crew, DH effect is closer to reality than nothing imo.

:IS2:

Upvote 0
Agreed, after a certain amount of time when players become accustomed to the game the MG usually doesn't pose a threat unless it's directly targeting you, allowing more experienced players to simply use even the slightest distraction to the MG gunner to take him out, which negates a lot of the fear and suppression factor they are supposed to have. I would also like to see some sort of suppression model more or less similar to the DH or FH model...

Upvote 0
I would like to see some sort of suppression effects. The DH system isn't bad, but more often than not I am being suppressed by nearby friendlies more than the enemy.
True, the game should make difference between friendly and enemy bullet-suppression effect.
I do think that it's a very intricate thing to implement, otherwise it would have been done already.

Upvote 0
Agreed, after a certain amount of time when players become accustomed to the game the MG usually doesn't pose a threat unless it's directly targeting you, allowing more experienced players to simply use even the slightest distraction to the MG gunner to take him out, which negates a lot of the fear and suppression factor they are supposed to have. I would also like to see some sort of suppression model more or less similar to the DH or FH model...

I'd say that the reason the Mg doesn't pose a threat to veterans is that tracers give its position away and then it's easy to move outside of the MG's field of fire.

Btw, wasn't every 5th bullet a tracer or something like that during WWII?

Upvote 0
I like the effect given to players that encounter a MG in DH, as players their reaction is a lot closer to the written literature of soldiers encountering a MG.

However I think that the DH system although a good step in the right direction needs more tweaking. For instance firing with a group of friendlies next to each other shouldn't suppress each other.

Next to that the suppression effect should not make it impossible to hip fire at an enemy or return fire to an enemy close to you.

I think that suppressive fire should make it harder to aim especially at longer ranges, like how unaligned iron sights or sway makes it harder to hit someone. Suppressive fire should not make it impossible to look or hit someone it should just make it harder.

So I hope that some additional suppressive fire effects get added. However I'd like to see a more polished solution than what is currently seen in DH. Although the addition of penetration and less noticeable tracers (esp during the day) will help with the fear for the mg as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I shot three well positioned MGs last weekend on DH just by popping up and shooting back even under fire and I still didn't really consider it to be a problem at all. It's not that hard to memorise the rough location of the muzzle flash and shoot back even when you're artificially blinded as if you're a jackrabbit on a powerdrill and you can see everything blurred.

I just hope that devs figures out some reasonable suppression system that isn't too artificial. Preferably combined with slight delay (especially if you're tired) between standing up and crouching and make it difficult to aim during the brief moment when you pop up.

Reactions: Lucan946
Upvote 0
RO Ost has none

RO does have suppression effects similar to DH's, however, DH's is highly exaggerated.

Plus it is nearly impossible to simulate fear through suppression because the player eventually gets used to the quirkiness of the camera and still engages. When I played RO the first time back 4 years ago or whenever it came out, I thought the suppression effects were sensational, but I got used to them quickly. The difference in DH is that your camera shakes violently all over the place. It does not allow for the cool-calm soldier to persevere, but assumes that all would act the same way when getting shot at. That is why I hope ROHOS does not assume DH's suppression effects. It needs to be noticeable, but not artificial.

Upvote 0
As a general sentiment I agree with Fedorov. In a more detailed train of thought I would agree with Zetsumei, however I think a real suppressive effect could be achieved through making the aiming system more in-depth ala making the rear and front sights independent from each other. This causes a problem though because you cant simulate the variables involved with such an aiming mechanic with just one input source (the mouse). So it's going to take, at the very least, a second input source (hopefully in the future of gaming several input sources) in order to realize this. Hence my suggestion of using Track-IR as the second input.

If you make successfully aiming a more intensive action, people will have to be more careful when exposing themselves to take a shot (especially if movement is involved such as popping up). This would give the advantage to the soldier who is already setup in an aiming position (as it should be), there would be less memorization of where the ironsights will be when the IS button is pressed (because you would actually have to line up your vision through the rear and front sights which are now independent from each other), and overall it would create a natural suppression effect without having to add that ridiculously fake flinching mechanic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i think that DH suppression effect is a good solution to simulate the fear of the MG's in the fierce of the battle. In real life u cant just pop up and one shot the MG crew, DH effect is closer to reality than nothing imo.

:IS2:

I still think it sucks balls, and no is not the mg, is everything.

The only thing that would needs to cause real suppression (world wide suppression) is an IS-2 firing, the rest is ok as it's in RO now :IS2::IS2::IS2:

Upvote 0
Yes, that's the one big hole that can be punched in my idea.. the cost of Track-IR. Ramm already mentioned something about implementing Track-IR and I think this would be an incredible advancement in gaming mechanics which would actually create more sales for Track-IR, because right now, just being able to look around freely isnt really a strong incentive to buy a T-IR system in my opinion. I can basically already do that with just the mouse. Something more has to be done with it.

I'm not clear on what you mean by 'it wouldnt work with free look.' You could still use the T-IR to do the 'look-around' thing while not in ironsights as in ARMA, but when you go into ironsights the mouse now controls the front end of the gun and the buttstock would be brought up to your shoulder (off to the side) instead of being placed in the middle of the screen all lined up like instagib. You'd have to tilt your head into the visual range of the sights in order to look down them, if you didnt tilt your head you'd be free to look around as normal but the gun would be up to your shoulder ready for you to look down the sights.

This would create a situation where you could not predict the placement of the ironsights before actually going into ironsights.. you'd have to line it up with your own vision everytime. This would then create a situation where you'd have to take that extra bit of time and effort to place an accurate shot (like aiming a real gun) and would in turn be a suppressive effect of it's own. A natural one.

Upvote 0
Make it so, that only mg:s, when fired at you, cause the dh style supression effect, normal small arms only RO type blur or whatever TWI has in mind. That way MG:s could actually be used the way they were meant to: lay down supressive fire to a large group of enemies, instead to just picking up single targets(Which is pretty much what MG does in RO)

Upvote 0
RO does have suppression effects similar to DH's, however, DH's is highly exaggerated.

Plus it is nearly impossible to simulate fear through suppression because the player eventually gets used to the quirkiness of the camera and still engages. When I played RO the first time back 4 years ago or whenever it came out, I thought the suppression effects were sensational, but I got used to them quickly. The difference in DH is that your camera shakes violently all over the place. It does not allow for the cool-calm soldier to persevere, but assumes that all would act the same way when getting shot at. That is why I hope ROHOS does not assume DH's suppression effects. It needs to be noticeable, but not artificial.

I do remember feeling suppressed when I first started playing RO, but yeah, I got used to it quickly too. I am used to DH's suppression as well although it is hard to aim when an mg or HE shells are hitting nearby. Single shots are a minor inconvenience.

But except for the friendly suppression, I really do like DH's system. It gives me that "Oh F@#*, Look Out! S%^# Get Down!" feeling. Perhaps morale or experience may lessen that in ROHOS if a suppression system is implemented, I don't know.

Upvote 0