• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Suggestions to fix the smokescreen caused by demomen.

Either as your perk level increases the smoke screen gets smaller/faster
or
Severely reduce the smokescreen amount as it is and as perk level increases, the smoke screen increases.

gr8. do you perhaps happen to know what negative reinforcement is? because you just suggested it; people would just use demoman to buy the grenade launchers then give them to teamates. on FF servers people might be tempted to TK a full level demoman because he is putting out more smoke then somone who is just using a demoman weapon.
thats like making somones screen flash white every time a level 6 sharpshooter gets a headshot.

on the opposed hand, perhaps a faster dissapation is a legitimate suggestion, but its to a problem that dosent even need fixing.

Lastly, is that supposed to be sarah palin in your avatar pic?

Upvote 0
gr8. do you perhaps happen to know what negative reinforcement is? because you just suggested it; people would just use demoman to buy the grenade launchers then give them to teamates. on FF servers people might be tempted to TK a full level demoman because he is putting out more smoke then somone who is just using a demoman weapon.
thats like making somones screen flash white every time a level 6 sharpshooter gets a headshot.
A level 6 that can't use his weapon properly enough that his teammate's want to kill him has more issues than what this could cause -.-;
on the opposed hand, perhaps a faster dissapation is a legitimate suggestion, but its to a problem that dosent even need fixing.
So then why must you bash the other suggestion so much? It's jsut giving justification to the power increase -.-;
Lastly, is that supposed to be sarah palin in your avatar pic?
No -.-;

Upvote 0
I bash the idea because in psychology that is called negative reinforcement, its what smart parents use to correct bad behaviour in their children, or for that matter what anyone uses to try to stop a behaviour in anyone else. So in essence what you are suggesting is that we negatively reinforce the leveling of a perk, discouraging the leveling of that perk, in a game that is all about playing perks and leveling those respective perks.

its akin to:
# making it harder for commandoes to see stalkers / increasing their reload time for higher levels.
# decreasing melee speed and increasing hit damage for beserker
# making the game, on a 50% chance, spawn a flesh pound behind you after you 1 hit Xbow another FP.
# making you all die after killing the patriarch.

perhaps im coming across as a bit of a twat, but i can say for sure that negatively reinforcing things which are supposed to be key ideas in your game; bad idea unless your target market is semi suicidal emos.

Upvote 0
I bash the idea because in psychology that is called negative reinforcement, its what smart parents use to correct bad behaviour in their children, or for that matter what anyone uses to try to stop a behaviour in anyone else. So in essence what you are suggesting is that we negatively reinforce the leveling of a perk, discouraging the leveling of that perk, in a game that is all about playing perks and leveling those respective perks.

its akin to:
# making it harder for commandoes to see stalkers / increasing their reload time for higher levels.
# decreasing melee speed and increasing hit damage for beserker
# making the game, on a 50% chance, spawn a flesh pound behind you after you 1 hit Xbow another FP.
# making you all die after killing the patriarch.

perhaps im coming across as a bit of a twat, but i can say for sure that negatively reinforcing things which are supposed to be key ideas in your game; bad idea unless your target market is semi suicidal emos.
Right...totally...never want to level it because of the smokescreen...nevermind the fact that you get more ammo, more damage, more resistance, bigger discounts -.-; all you have to suffer from is a slightly larger smokescreen effect which more than likely will 1-3 shot anything coming through it that isn't a big worry(which you have a pipe bomb for the big ones anyways -.-;).

Heck here let me use your logic real quick.

Let's remove that medic perk. It's complete negative reinforcement, I mean it actually encourages my teammates to take damage! That's just stupid! >.>

Upvote 0
please use logic and dont stretch one persons thoughts to another person. the medic perk encourages the MEDIC player to heal his mates to level his perk. taking damage is a negative reinforcement on any player, because it results in death, which is no fun.
These effects are mostly personal, unless you make an example out of some people: IE death row. (its not like they are going to kill anyone again, so its obvious the lesson learned isnt on their part, but everyone elses)

...*sigh* i think i should stop mentioning logic on these here forums, first i have noah tell me that 190 / 3 <= 32, now you are suggesting one persons psychology magically warps into someone elses...

EDIT: but this has gotten far enough off topic.

So why dosent somone go source up some footage or something of the sort on youtube to see what a good average ammount of smoke looks like. ( keeping in mind no matter what it looks like close range and view blocking are the demomans weaknesses so they will most likely never be removed unless TWI decides to start smoking opium)

Last edited:
Upvote 0