• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Steam (!) Why?

This is really going in circles.

Don't tell people Steam would be so easy to hack while you can't find one serious known vulnerability.

Your friends CS:S server was hacked. Ok. Did they hack steam? Or maybe the CS:S server? Don't mix up things. Even when it was hacked, the attacker shouldn't have the chance to gain root or similiar rights.

If you are running a Source or other gameserver as root, then you are obviously not knowing what you are doing. Services like that should run in a isolated environment.

Seriously, this is getting boring.

We are using steam , and we are happy with it. If you really think we do not care about security and privacy, i can't help you.

Upvote 0
Steam is one of the most secure systems in the world for distributing and playing games becuase it contorls ALL of the information. Control prevents piracy and hacking. It doesnt prevent stupid behavior on the part of its users however valve has run a long awareness campaign to combat fraudutlent account stealing.

Steam is the way to go (like the 7th time ive said it).

Upvote 0
This is easily one of the best argument threads i've ever read.

Here's my few pieces.

As far as Steam goes, and the paranoid internet droids who think it's loaded with spyware/malware/adware etc, I don't know where you got it all from but it didn't come from Steam, I've been using Steam since it was first released, i've not had one single issue and I don't know very many other people that do.

As for the Linux guys (Don't get me wrong i love Linux... it's great for doing the tasks it is better suited to do, e.g not gaming) I'm afraid you will just have to setup and get used to a dual boot system.

Linux is a terrible platform for gaming in its native state (Sure you guys know this already) and it's important you understand what tiny fraction of the gaming community Linux users are that want to play mainstream games. In my honest opinion i think that Valve have more pressing issues to tend to than writing a port of Steam for Linux, they are busy... Half-life2 expansion, maybe Hl3 is in the works, more updates to DoD and CS, etc etc etc.

About the Macs, I haven't used (or actually really SEEN) a Mac for about 8 years, i can't comment on their gaming ability as i have no idea, but i've got to assume because they are very rare (In my Country) they are certainly not a gaming oriented system either, and probably are suffering the same conditions.

Overall , Tripwire are doing whats best for their product, it's been a long time and they do deserve it, It's a shame the alt-OS users have been left in the Dark, but being alt-OS uses they should really not expect anything from anybody operating in the realm of games or Windows, Linux users take pride in their use of a free Operating System and then request products and retail ventures from another operating system be ported to work on theirs, that would be great, but reality has to check in at some stage, this is how the market goes, Windows is leading by a massive margin, It won't change in a big way, probably ever, and your Operating System is just not supported, Sorry but, as the other guys have said. Deal with it.

Comments about my views are welcome by all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
gonzman said:
As for the Linux guys (Don't get me wrong i love Linux... it's great for doing the tasks it is better suited to do, e.g not gaming) I'm afraid you will just have to setup and get used to a dual boot system.

Linux is a terrible platform for gaming in its native state (Sure you guys know this already) and it's important you understand what tiny fraction of the gaming community Linux users are that want to play mainstream games. In my honest opinion i think that Valve have more pressing issues to tend to than writing a port of Steam for Linux, they are busy... Half-life2 expansion, maybe Hl3 is in the works, more updates to DoD and CS, etc etc etc.

Comments about my views are welcome by all.
You're basing this perception on what? The lack of driver support for modern graphics cards (sorry, ATI and NVidia produce linux drivers)? The lack of modern full-featured 3D programming libraries (sorry, OpenGL is fully supported on linux as well as Mac and Windoze)? Maybe it's the lack of input device support (again, you're wrong, even the Microsoft force-feedback controllers are supported). You have absolutely NO BASIS for the claim that "linux is a terrible platform for gaming." I prefer some evidence please.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
gonzman said:

About the Macs, I haven't used (or actually really SEEN) a Mac for about 8 years, i can't comment on their gaming ability as i have no idea, but i've got to assume because they are very rare (In my Country) they are certainly not a gaming oriented system either, and probably are suffering the same conditions.
What makes a gaming-oriented system? Not being WinNT-based?

Gaming depends on the same things all other applications do: stability, resource management, and hardware support. All of which Linux and OS X excell at, sorry, but... better than WinNT has ever done.

In every case: Q3-based (Q3:A, W:ET), UT 99-basd (UT + dozens of mods), UE 2.x-based (UT 03/04 + mods, AA), I get on average 10% more FPS with the same settings, same hardware, same maps, same everything.

What conditions are Linux and OS X suffering from? Certainly not hardware or software problems. Support. The only thing Linux and OS X need to be superior gaming platforms to WinNT are more games supported nativley.

Yes, non-WinNT gamers are a minority (but I bet you'd be surprised how many frag you every day in RO), but that is changing and will continue to change. The market is shifting, and it is up to the developers to shift with that change and provide native support to all the major platforms, not just the traditional desktop platform. RO has stepped up, now Valve needs to.

NOTE: Just because you havn't seen a Macintosh in 8 years, doesn't mean they don't exist... In my apartment, Mac users outnumber even WIndows users. Elsewhere in the dorms, I'd say Mac users make up at least a third of the machines students use.

Upvote 0
i've actualy just installed steam... and so far its actualy... well not nearly as bad as i thought it would be.
its defaulted to NOT start when windows starts and it only starts on it own when you start a game that depends on it.
i just used it to play the lost coast level (verry pretty).
it actualy dusnt install much, and dusnt dig tenticals deap into your OS like i thought it would.

and steam allready works pretty relaibly in wine.
the real question will be if RO:O will have a *nix binary available that can interract with a steam client running onder wine.

as for all the steam being hackable and stuff, use a firewall. you dont need any open ports as a client.
if you dont use a firewall your vulnerable anyway with or without steam.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nothing against Linux. It great, the people I know that use it just love it. BUT the major population of gamers just do not want to use it. Its not as easy as Windoze. Yeah its better than three years ago, the last time I messed with it, but people are lazy. They want to start, install with out typing then click the icon to play. I do hope they have a Linux server release. May be nice to run. The only thing I care about is if there is a AC installed!

As for Steam, I like it, No spyware, I monitor my network 24/7. I start steam when I want to play a steam game, thats it.

Again all I care about is that it has a AC program. Then if IW doesn't get one out for COD2 I have a game to play that does.

Upvote 0
gonzman said:
"and if Steam/Sierra/RO do not evolve with the times, they will lose not only playerbase and community support, but creditablility."

I have to mention here I believe these times you speak of are so far away they are not worth considering at the moment, the problem is not to get Linux to gain popularity but they need to force Microsoft to lose it, Impossible in the near future.

Its true this is what happen tot he Infileration MOD for UT2003. I have windows but i do agree with what hes saying about creditability and RO's mods will fall in time. <-- i couldn't think of a better way to put that sorry.

Upvote 0
SheepDip said:
Steam does not have any fees at all

Once you pay, the game is linked with your account, and you can download it simply by logging into any steam client with your account.
How many times can i download it? Lets say windows dies or I get a bigger HDD, can i go back to steam and reinstall RO:OF without having to pay again. Oviously I would still be signed up with steam.

Upvote 0